PDA

View Full Version : CPU DOA?

HaVoK-G2
12-10-09, 10:00 PM
Seasons greetings!

Need some help on an annoying problem.

Basically:

New system build for a friend, when powered on 4 LED's on the mobo light up, case fans start up and spin, CPU fan spins, no Video, no Post, no beeps/warnings. Computer just sits there with fans spinning and LED's on.

Motherboard has been Exchanged for a replacement, same thing happens with the replacement motherboard.

Freezer 7 fan doesn't spin on it's own, it has to be tapped to get going. Stock heatsync works fine (Happened on both motherboards, possibly defect with the Freezer 7 heatsync)

I've tried clearing the bios and reseating the CPU, rebuilding everything and checking all connetions. I've tried running it with bare essentials and anything un-needed unplugged.

Could this be an incompatibility problem with the mobo? Or is it a Dead CPU?

I told him to get a different brand mobo but he just replaced it >_<

I'd try upgrading the bios but there's no way for me to I don't think if it doesn't even start up. I don't have any extra compatible CPUs to try in the system.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i5 750 retail
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156
Videocard: Asus EN9800 GT
HD: WD 640GB
Heatsync: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 (Tried stock too)
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1866 PC3-15000 2048mb x2 (F3-15000CL9D-4GBRH)
PSU: OCZ Stealth Xstream 700W

If anyone can help, thanks.

Redeemed
12-10-09, 10:08 PM
What PSU are you using, and what are the specs of the PSU?

It is possible that it is a defective CPU. Also possible that the fan for the cooler could be defective.

Make sure you didn't forget to connect all power cords to the motherboard... 24 pin, 4-pin for the CPU... etc.

HaVoK-G2
12-10-09, 10:21 PM
What PSU are you using, and what are the specs of the PSU?

It is possible that it is a defective CPU. Also possible that the fan for the cooler could be defective.

Make sure you didn't forget to connect all power cords to the motherboard... 24 pin, 4-pin for the CPU... etc.

PSU is OCZ Stealth Xstream 700W

I've triple checked all connections and even rebuilt it a few times to make sure I'm not missing anything, the 24pin and 4pin is connected etc. The freezer 7 is probably defective, I installed the stock one that comes with the i5 and that works fine.

Redeemed
12-10-09, 10:22 PM
Well, I'd suggest replacing the CPU then. And even the HSF. Seems kinda' odd to get a defective CPU and HSF. But, it is possible.

HaVoK-G2
12-10-09, 10:37 PM
Well, I'd suggest replacing the CPU then. And even the HSF. Seems kinda' odd to get a defective CPU and HSF. But, it is possible.

I've tried the freezer 7 HSF and the stock intel supplies one, the intel one seems fine. I guess if my friend RMA's his cpu he'll get a new HSF in the retail box again.

Is the CPU the only thing left to be going wrong I guess? :(

Redeemed
12-10-09, 11:06 PM
I've tried the freezer 7 HSF and the stock intel supplies one, the intel one seems fine. I guess if my friend RMA's his cpu he'll get a new HSF in the retail box again.

Is the CPU the only thing left to be going wrong I guess? :(

That is what it is sounding like. If everything is connected properly I see no other alternative. :(

Wait- the video card... can you try it in another computer? Do you have another video card you can try in his?

Rummy
12-10-09, 11:10 PM
PSU is OCZ Stealth Xstream 700W

I've triple checked all connections and even rebuilt it a few times to make sure I'm not missing anything, the 24pin and 4pin is connected etc. The freezer 7 is probably defective, I installed the stock one that comes with the i5 and that works fine.

It actually looks like an 8 pin and 24 pin

HaVoK-G2
12-10-09, 11:19 PM

It is an 8pin, sorry was a typo. (And yes the 12V(4+4Pin) from the PSU is plugged in and not just one 4 pin :P)

Video card I've tried in another computer, it works. I've also tried another videocard in his computer, still nothing.

Thanks for the help so far all.

Redeemed
12-10-09, 11:40 PM

To the best of my knowledge, most mobos only use a 4 pin in addition to the 20 or 24 pin- hence why I mentioned 4-pin.

If the video card is proven to work, then it sounds to me like the CPU is the culprit. :)

HaVoK-G2
12-11-09, 12:14 AM
I feared so, just making sure I didn't miss any quirks.

I just tried two different PSU's from working machines, ruined all my cable management in those machines >:O
My friend better appreciate it :headexplode:

I'm just going to tell him to refund the the current mobo and get a better one, aswell as exchange the CPU.

Thanks for the help, I really wanted to be sure.

Lyme
12-12-09, 07:11 PM
Does the hard drive spin up? If yes, your cpu isn't dead. If no, it is very likely.

HaVoK-G2
12-13-09, 02:14 AM
It's too late he's sent it off for replacement, I believe I heard the HD power on and spin but I can't double check now.

Thanks though Lyme.

Absolution
12-13-09, 02:42 AM
Uhh, CPUs are so very rarely defective. I'd put my money on the memory being bad.

Or, you put the memory in the wrong slot. My MSI board is very picky (most P55 boards are too I believe) about where the ram is. Check the manual to make sure it doesn't suggest putting the ram in a specific DIMM.
My system won't post without ram being in DIMM modules 1 & 3.

Lyme
12-13-09, 07:29 PM
I agree, but then again most people tend to handle cpus with kid gloves while handling memory slightly less so. That is where the hard drive spin up test comes in. I've killed a few cpus and memory over the years and that is the easiest tell. With bad memory, systems typically will still post and show video.

Redeemed
12-13-09, 07:44 PM
Hmm... I thought he said he tested the RAM in another machine. Re-reading the thread, however, I do not see him mention doing this.

I agree that it could have been the RAM. It is rare for a CPU to be defective, although still possible. Once he gets the CPU back, if the problem persists try his RAM in a different computer if possible. If not, then just send the RAM back for replacement.

HaVoK-G2
12-15-09, 08:57 AM
I've never handled / seen a dead cpu before in the bunch of machines I've built. I checked the memory compatibility list for the new board he's going to get and things seem to check out just incase. (Hopefully the memory isn't.. bad)

I used an anti static mat and wrist band as usual too.
Ram wasn't put in the wrong slots, alternative ones were tried.

I'll let you all know if it goes good or bad when replacements come in :P

HaVoK-G2
12-25-09, 04:39 PM
Re-built the system with my friends new parts, it worked fine. ;)

Thanks all for the help. Happy Holidays!

Redeemed
12-25-09, 08:17 PM
A DOA CPU is rare, but they do still exist. Sorry the first one was a dud, but glad ya'll got the system up and running. :D