PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new game...

Rakeesh
12-12-09, 03:20 AM
I haven't been that big on gaming in the last few years except for playing wow every now and then, but I'm wanting to get back into the FPS multiplayer space, and I'm not really sure where to look.

Most people seem to like the realism games still (e.g. modern warfare, battlefield, counterstrike, etc) but honestly I'm so sick of those. The people that tend to play them are either 12 year olds, 21 year olds with 12 year old minds, or elitist f*cks who think they are as good IRL as they are in the game but in reality they probably couldn't even figure out how to turn off the safety. That and it's starting to feel like once you've played one, you've played them all.

I like the games that aren't supposed to be reality, like sci-fi/fantasy, especially games that go beyond the simple "point and shoot" mentality. Like natural-selection where one team is all about melee combat, and the other is all about ranged combat, while including various RTS elements. Team fortress 2 is good for similar reasons, although its largely still "point and shoot" you've got many classes that have abilities which go beyond that, like the demoman, the engineer, and the spy (and the medic but I've never been able to really get into that class.)

Alas, NS is all but dead (only like 3 good servers left,) and TF2 is getting a little old. That said, anybody know of any newer games that fit the bill? Games that include a strong melee combat role are a plus, as that tends to be the play-style I like the most (point and shoot gets really old - pretty much everybody can master being a "sniper" at some point, but melee always brings much larger dynamics to play IMO.) That, and games that don't compel you to sit at the top of the scoreboard and are fun enough that the scoreboard feels pretty much meaningless.

crainger
12-12-09, 06:01 AM
Borderlands?

General Lee
12-12-09, 10:22 AM
Left 4 Dead 2 is great. I haven't been able to stop playing it, not even for TF2. Not only is there the whole ranged fighting, but there's a lot of times where you'll be swarmed like hell and need to fight with a melee weapon, because you can't take time to always reload.

There's also the shove, which allows you to reload while knocking the bastards away from you for a second. A good tactic is to switch to melee once you empty a magazine, and alternate between shoves and attacks.

If you like intense action with moments of rest in between, Left 4 Dead 2 might be just for you. The challenge factor ranges from fairly easy (Easy), to really hard (Advanced), and then there's impossible (Expert). Seeing as the game is still young, I also expect there to be more content later on, such as more campaigns, more weapons, more enemies, etc.

jAkUp
12-12-09, 11:43 AM
L4D2, maybe Shattered Horizon

LT.Schaffer
12-12-09, 11:55 AM
+1 Left 4 Dead 2:)

grey_1
12-12-09, 12:01 PM
I'd say L4D2 also for the reasons listed above. Very intense game, and amusing as all heck when you have a good team.

If you haven't played it GoW is also an excellent coop game, and while I know it's SP only, Dead Space is awfully tough to beat for a good, intense gaming experience.

ATi
12-12-09, 12:13 PM
+3 left 4 dead 2

General Lee
12-12-09, 01:55 PM
L4D2, maybe Shattered Horizon

Howdy jAK, haven't see you around much. Would enjoy killing some zombies with you sometime. :)

MustangSVT
12-12-09, 02:02 PM
I haven't been that big on gaming in the last few years except for playing wow every now and then, but I'm wanting to get back into the FPS multiplayer space, and I'm not really sure where to look.

Most people seem to like the realism games still (e.g. modern warfare, battlefield, counterstrike, etc) but honestly I'm so sick of those. The people that tend to play them are either 12 year olds, 21 year olds with 12 year old minds, or elitist f*cks who think they are as good IRL as they are in the game but in reality they probably couldn't even figure out how to turn off the safety. That and it's starting to feel like once you've played one, you've played them all.
I'm not sure what games to recommend you, but Modern Warfare, Battlefield and Counter-Strike are not really realistic. They're set in a sort of realistic environment, but they're still quite arcadey and fast paced.

I like playing ArmA II online, that is quite realistic.

NarcissistZero
12-12-09, 02:13 PM
Honestly it sounds like you want Halo 2... sci-fi, strong melee element, not realistic.

bob saget
12-12-09, 02:45 PM
If another person mentions L4D2........:headexplode:

Redeemed
12-12-09, 03:04 PM
L4D2 sounds like exactly what you need. ;)

LT.Schaffer
12-12-09, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure what games to recommend you, but Modern Warfare, Battlefield and Counter-Strike are not really realistic. They're set in a sort of realistic environment, but they're still quite arcadey and fast paced.

I like playing ArmA II online, that is quite realistic.

ArmA II is also a good choice:)

Redeemed
12-12-09, 04:14 PM
Judging by your username... I think you'd greatly enjoy Wolf Quest. ;)

Rakeesh
12-12-09, 05:59 PM
Judging by your username... I think you'd greatly enjoy Wolf Quest. ;)

lawl

About l4d, isn't that a co-op game? E.g. entirely pve?

Redeemed
12-12-09, 06:03 PM
lawl

About l4d, isn't that a co-op game? E.g. entirely pve?

Not entirely. There's versus where one team plays as the special infected while the other plays as the survivors. The survivors have to try and make it through the entire level while the special infected have to try and prevent the survivors from being rescued. It's rather fun. :)

General Lee
12-12-09, 06:22 PM
Not entirely. There's versus where one team plays as the special infected while the other plays as the survivors. The survivors have to try and make it through the entire level while the special infected have to try and prevent the survivors from being rescued. It's rather fun. :)

There's also the scavenge and survival modes, as well as Single Player. The Single Player is the same thing as Campaign mode, except the other three Survivors are controlled by the computer. The AI is actually pretty good, especially when it comes to accuracy. I like that I can communicate with my teammates either through text or voice via mic.

Also, the Survivor characters say some pretty interesting and funny things from time to time. They also like to swear. The redneck, Ellis, is always telling funny stories about his buddy Keith. :lol: