PDA

View Full Version : RPG opinions sought

Arioch
12-12-09, 03:44 AM
Well I am looking to feed my RPG fix at this moment after going through a string of really good RPG games lately. After finally completing Gothic 3 I played Risen and finished Dragon Age up finally. So I am trying to find me a good RPG to carry me through until Mass Effect 2 comes out.

I have the Gothic 3 standalone expansion Forsaken Gods installed but I see that it was a total buggy mess. After many patches Gothic 3 was fairly solid so I have doubts that the patch that is out for Forsaken Gods will be able to fix it all. I have the Collector's Edition of Two Worlds but haven't played it that much. It seems it is one of those games that people either really like or hated. Finally, I got Drakensang last week and was mulling over playing that first but I prefer first person RPGs usually unless something phenemonal like Dragon Age comes out.

I guess I am asking for people's opinions of the 3 games I mentioned and what I should play first. I have a bad habit of buying games and then not getting around to playing them for a long time!

NarcissistZero
12-12-09, 04:07 AM
I have heard nothing but good things about Drakensang. Two Worlds I hated, mostly due to horrible voice acting and story. Never played the Gothic 3 add-on but have heard it is a buggy mess the community ain't fixing this time.

Bah!
12-12-09, 05:48 AM
Two first-person RPGs I would recommend would be Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Wizardry 8. Vampire still holds up graphically, but Wizardry is a little older so if graphics are a big deal you might have to give it a pass.

nekrosoft13
12-12-09, 02:07 PM
Vampire the Masquerade is awesome, another RPG I would recommend is Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel

CaptNKILL
12-12-09, 10:44 PM
Yes, Vampire Bloodlines is great. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

The Witcher is awesome... you've probably already played it though.

And STALKER (the original) has a very RPG-like feel to it, though its still a shooter.

If you're willing to play something older but still awesome, play Arx Fatalis. It was pretty much overlooked because it was released shortly after Morrowind and its also a first person action RPG, but its a fantastic game.

And if you want to try something totally different, play Aquaria. It'll suck away your time like an RPG but the gameplay is similar to the old Metroid games with a sort of crafting and magic system built in. Its an absolutely massive game with a very interesting world to explore and a ton of content that is totally optional.

Just some ideas.

CaptNKILL
12-12-09, 11:27 PM
Vampire the Masquerade is awesome, another RPG I would recommend is Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel

Heh, I'm not big on Diablo style games but Sacred 2 does look pretty cool...

oTTXtfl4sC8

The game world is freaking enormous! :eek:

nekrosoft13
12-12-09, 11:59 PM
is the narrator retarded?

CaptNKILL
12-13-09, 01:47 AM
is the narrator retarded?

Most likely.

Atomizer
12-13-09, 04:32 AM
How about the old FP party style games, like Dungeon Master, I think Wizardry 8 is like this aswell, its turn based and you move around the dungeon on a fixed grid, but is there anything recent like that? heck even flash games like that would be worth knowing about.

HiCZoK4
12-13-09, 04:35 AM
I like classic games room reviews. I mostly agree with him

HiCZoK4
12-13-09, 04:45 AM
Yes, Vampire Bloodlines is great. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

The Witcher is awesome... you've probably already played it though.

And STALKER (the original) has a very RPG-like feel to it, though its still a shooter.

If you're willing to play something older but still awesome, play Arx Fatalis. It was pretty much overlooked because it was released shortly after Morrowind and its also a first person action RPG, but its a fantastic game.

And if you want to try something totally different, play Aquaria. It'll suck away your time like an RPG but the gameplay is similar to the old Metroid games with a sort of crafting and magic system built in. Its an absolutely massive game with a very interesting world to explore and a ton of content that is totally optional.

Just some ideas.

ARX FATALIS !!!!! WOOOW That was an awesome game! Best dungeon crawler since Dungeon Master

Arioch
12-13-09, 05:33 AM
I forgot to mention that I am also trying to find something that also works with 3D Vision. I love using it but now I am spoiled and hate playing games without it.

I am not huge on Diablo style games but I admit Sacred 2 looks pretty good. I could have sworn I had the Vampire games already but I can't find the darn CD's for some reason, bleh. As for Arx Fatalis, I loved that game and it was a very good dungeon crawler when it came out. I have thought about replaying Witcher again but I would rather play something new first. I wish I was more decisive!

Thanks for all the opinions everyone.