View Full Version : Noctua NH-D14 -Review

Pages : [1] 2

alitayyab
12-12-09, 08:11 AM
http://wccftech.com/2009/12/12/noctua-nhd14-cpu-cooler-review

Results:
http://wccftech.com/2009/12/12/noctua-nhd14-cpu-cooler-review/4/

I found it to be very good.

I have already read a couple of review for this cooler.

I didnt have a prolimatech to test against this, but my findings are somewhat contradictory to hardOCP and closer to the two other reviews

The Noctua comes with 2 fans, universal bolt on kit (lga 1366,1156,775,AM2,+,AM3). If u factor this cost in to the other cooler they all about cost the same or more than this.

(edit: the high speed result picture is a screwed up right now, it should be fixed soon)

betterdan
12-12-09, 10:57 AM
Wow that looks like an excellent (and huge) cooler.

grey_1
12-12-09, 11:07 AM
Some nice results, but a bit too large for my tastes.

betterdan
12-12-09, 11:32 AM
You are not supposed to taste it grey. :headexplode:

alitayyab
12-12-09, 12:09 PM
It *looks* large, but trust me it is very well designed. I used to have a Tuniq 120 and that was big and awkward.

I only wish i had a Megahalem to compare this to!

grey_1
12-12-09, 12:26 PM
You are not supposed to taste it grey. :headexplode:

:rofl

Back in yer hole! :lol:

It *looks* large, but trust me it is very well designed. I used to have a Tuniq 120 and that was big and awkward.

First thing that came to mind is the TR ifx-14

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-ifx14.html

The Thermolab Baram (http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1785/thermolab_baram_cpu_cooler/index.html) is still high on my list too.

Redeemed
12-12-09, 12:39 PM
Hmm... I am in the market for a good cooler for my 920. Can't buy now, probably looking at first part of next year, which seems perfect as some new coolers are coming out. This will give me time to do some research and save up for the right one. :)

alitayyab
12-12-09, 12:46 PM
:rofl

Back in yer hole! :lol:

First thing that came to mind is the TR ifx-14

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-ifx14.html

The Thermolab Baram (http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1785/thermolab_baram_cpu_cooler/index.html) is still high on my list too.

yep, two tower cooler. though i am pretty sure it can one up the IFX. The megahalem has been getting good reviews, thus the interest.
Haven't heard of the latter (i'll look it up )

Hmm... I am in the market for a good cooler for my 920. Can't buy now, probably looking at first part of next year, which seems perfect as some new coolers are coming out. This will give me time to do some research and save up for the right one. :)

If you plan on running somewhere around 3.2Ghz and have good ambient temps and are not the type who lives and breaths benchmarks, even the stock cooler would do.

Beyond that, an after market cooler is a very good idea.

Personally i like the Noctua as well as the TRuE. if given the option i'd probably take the turE, unless i was thinking of pushing beyond 3.6, which i am not.

grey_1
12-12-09, 12:53 PM
yep, two tower cooler. though i am pretty sure it can one up the IFX. The megahalem has been getting good reviews, thus the interest.
Haven't heard of the latter (i'll look it up )

Yep, I don't have a link handy, but I remeber the ifx's numbers not being quite as good.

Here's a baram review.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/thermolab_baram/4.htm

Reviews seem to go back and forth on it, but even those showing the 120E beating it by a degree or 2 say it's a good value when cost + weight are considered.

I should clarify, I'm looking at building as silent as possible air cooled rig, so will most likely sacrifice some Celsius in the process.

Redeemed
12-12-09, 12:56 PM
Well, I'd like to run this i7 920 at 4.2Ghz. :lol:

But it'd settle for 3.6 as well. :) :p

betterdan
12-12-09, 01:12 PM
One thing I want to mention which most people already realize but I just found out so bear with me.
The case makes quite a big difference in cooling too. I had been using my old Coolermaster Wavemaster case for 3 or 4 years and I figured I had rearranged things and added fans enough to where everything was pretty good. Well the new case I have now dropped CPU temps from 71C after an hour of OCCT Linpack down to 66C. The only change was the case.
Just wanted to throw it out there that a different case can make just as much difference as a new cooler.

grey_1
12-12-09, 01:12 PM
Well, I'd like to run this i7 920 at 4.2Ghz. :lol:

But it'd settle for 3.6 as well. :) :p

What kind of difference do you see in performance between those 2 speeds? One of the reasons I stuck with 3.8 is that performance doesn't really change enough to make the higher clocks worth it.

It also runs very cool under load at this speed, hence the search for a better heatsink that will let me use slower and quieter fans.

grey_1
12-12-09, 01:13 PM
One thing I want to mention which most people already realize but I just found out so bare with me.
The case makes quite a big difference in cooling too. I had been using my old Coolermaster Wavemaster case for 3 or 4 years and I figured I had rearranged things and added fans enough to where everything was pretty good. Well the new case I have now dropped temps from 71C after an hour of OCCT Linpack down to 66C. The only change was the case.
Just wanted to throw it out there that a different case can make just as much difference as a new cooler.

Oh heck yes.

Redeemed
12-12-09, 01:20 PM
What kind of difference do you see in performance between those 2 speeds? One of the reasons I stuck with 3.8 is that performance doesn't really change enough to make the higher clocks worth it.

It also runs very cool under load at this speed, hence the search for a better heatsink that will let me use slower and quieter fans.

There's really no point in that high of an over clock, I'll admit it. And like you, I'd probably settle for the lower oc simply because that'd allow the chip to run cooler and last longer.

Regardless, 4.2Ghz oc is purdy sexeh. :naughty:

alitayyab
12-12-09, 01:30 PM

As i said earlier if u're a benchmark junkie u'd want to take to 4.21 from 4.2ghz!

One thing I want to mention which most people already realize but I just found out so bear with me.
The case makes quite a big difference in cooling too. I had been using my old Coolermaster Wavemaster case for 3 or 4 years and I figured I had rearranged things and added fans enough to where everything was pretty good. Well the new case I have now dropped CPU temps from 71C after an hour of OCCT Linpack down to 66C. The only change was the case.

Agreed.

grey_1
12-12-09, 01:33 PM
As i said earlier if u're a benchmark junkie u'd want to take to 4.21 from 4.2ghz!

LoL Point taken :lol:

Personally I'm happy with good performance at stable speeds. I gave up my addiction. :lol:

Redeemed
12-12-09, 01:34 PM
LoL Point taken :lol:

Personally I'm happy with good performance at stable speeds. I gave up my addiction. :lol:

LIES!!!!

I'll prove it- what's in the cup that is sitting in front of you???????

:p

grey_1
12-12-09, 01:43 PM
LIES!!!!

I'll prove it- what's in the cup that is sitting in front of you???????

:p

Context_fail :p

I did just make a new pot though. :D

Redeemed
12-12-09, 01:46 PM
Context_fail :p

I did just make a new pot though. :D
:lol:

:D

Lyme
12-12-09, 06:28 PM
I put one of http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6603 in my new build. Similar design, $30, works great.

grey_1
12-12-09, 08:21 PM
I put one of http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6603 in my new build. Similar design, $30, works great.

I like that price! What are your specs and temps if I may ask?

Thanks

Lyme
12-12-09, 09:15 PM
I idle at 31deg C, stock cpu speed 3.4ghz

agentkay
12-14-09, 01:00 PM

Nice review!

I have a Megahalem and a lapped with a mirror-finish Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme and I ran some tests yesterday with both coolers. They both work very similar at high rpm (1900) situations, maybe 1 degree difference under full load in Linx in favor for the Megahalem but at lower rpm (1000) the difference was larger, up to 3 degrees in favor for the Megahalem. It's not a true apples vs. apples comparison since the Thermalright isn't stock and I'm not sure what a difference the lapped base made, the Megahalem has a near mirror finish as well but obviously it still has the nickel layer while the Thermalright doesn't (it was removed by the lapping procedure).

grey_1
12-16-09, 10:27 AM
Those Megahalems must be good, they seem to go out of stock fairly quickly. Thanks for the feedback on it. I'm adding it to my list of heatsinks to consider.

musman
12-16-09, 11:05 AM
I love my Noctua NH-U12P Cooler, although I don't have anything other than the stock cooler to compare it too.