PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Audio (via passthrough cable)

ikjadoon
12-14-09, 04:50 PM
All right, yeah, it's another one of those threads. I have an ASUS GTS 250 (need to update sig!). I've wired the passthrough cable to the S/PDIF out on my motherboard.

I've looked through about 3 guides online and all of them want me to download some nVidia HDMI Audio driver, but that is nowhere to be found on nVidia's site anymore. I'm on 190.38; are they like automatically included now? I'm downloading 195.62 right now to see if that makes any difference.

On my sound devices, this is what I see:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a286/ikjadoon/sound.png

Is there some nVidia thing supposed to be there? Realtek Digital Output is a coaxial port coming off my motherboard.... The Control Panel is *worthless*. I can only change the resolution, no mention of audio anywhere.

And it's a Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-111FD.

~Ibrahim~

EDIT: And while trying to install 195.62, it tells me it can't create the folder. UGH!

ikjadoon
12-14-09, 06:00 PM
Never mind, figured it out. Turns out that "Realtek Digital Output" actually goes for the internal S/PDIF header, too. It's working now! :D

~Ibrahim~

AdamK47
12-14-09, 06:44 PM
I tried the "Realtek Digital Output" on my motherboard. Really didn't like the quality, plus I lost 3 to 5 percent framerate in gaming due to the CPU processing the audio. I put my X-Fi back in after trying it out. Used the SPDIF-Out on the card and plugged it into the input on my primary GTX 285. I'm using the DTS / Dolby Digital 5.1 pack with CMSS-3D enabled and it sounds great. Plus my framerate went back to where it was. This is with the encoder enabled, CMSS-3D on, and Crystalizer at 60%.

I know... most people won't notice the little framerate loss nor the lower quality in the audio. I'm one that can.

ikjadoon
12-14-09, 09:08 PM
I tried the "Realtek Digital Output" on my motherboard. Really didn't like the quality, plus I lost 3 to 5 percent framerate in gaming due to the CPU processing the audio. I put my X-Fi back in after trying it out. Used the SPDIF-Out on the card and plugged it into the input on my primary GTX 285. I'm using the DTS / Dolby Digital 5.1 pack with CMSS-3D enabled and it sounds great. Plus my framerate went back to where it was. This is with the encoder enabled, CMSS-3D on, and Crystalizer at 60%.

I know... most people won't notice the little framerate loss nor the lower quality in the audio. I'm one that can.

Huh, interesting. I did find COD4 particularly laggy in some moments, but you'd think a 3.5GHz C2D could handle a bit of extra processing. More likely that I was running it at 1080p, lol.

It's just a temporary thing now, but if I find it becoming a standard thing, I'll definitely consider a dedicated card. Thanks for the heads up. :)

~Ibrahim~