PDA

View Full Version : Different DDR3 DIMM sizes on the same MB?

AntaresDC
12-15-09, 06:35 AM
Hi, I'm looking to update my os from XP SP3 to the new Windows7. Since the XP couldn't use more than 4 gigs of RAM, I didn't bother with more than 3 GB of DDR3 tri-channel dimms (3x1 GB) on my Core i7 build at the beginning of this year.

My rig: Core i7 920, Asus P6T Deluxe mobo, 3 x 1 GB Corsair DDR3 (TR3x3G1333C9) of RAM, 2 x 500 GB WD HDDs, Leadtek GTX280 etc.

My question for those in the know: I'm planning to add 3 new DIMM modules of 2GB each in DDR3 (1333 MHz). If I add those 3 x 2 gigs modules to the already existing ones of 3 x 1 gig, will the mobo & cpu support them without issues? I never used unbalanced DIMMs in my older rigs - just used the same DIMM size (in GB) in each memory slot.

It's just that I can get a better deal on the 3 x 2 GB tri-channel memory kit from Corsair than on the smaller memory kit of 3 x 1 GB... and I'd like to make good use of all of them - fora a total of 9 gigs.

Thanks for your input!

bob saget
12-18-09, 03:46 AM
It is always better to stick with same brand and model for all your sticks, just to guarantee that the mixing is not an issue. A lot of people do get different makes to work together.