PDA

View Full Version : Kingston V-Series 64GB SSD

DiscipleDOC
12-15-09, 11:59 AM
http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-64gb-ssdnow-v-series-drive-desktop-bundle/q/loc/101/211220744.html

What do you guys think about this drive?

Redeemed
12-15-09, 12:05 PM
Even just for windows and programs... I'm doubtful 64GB is large enough. When I go SSD, it'll probably be *minimal* of 80GB... I'm thinking more along the lines of 120 or 160GB though...

But if it'll work for you, get it. I have no experience with how well they perform though. I do know, that atleast around here, Intel's drives seem to be *really* popular- Intel and OCZ.

hirantha
12-15-09, 12:18 PM
Well i got a 30GB SSD just for the OS. I have Win 7 installed, its so freaking fast!!!. Just install the OS on the SSD everything else will feel Fast :)

Redeemed
12-15-09, 12:20 PM
So even if an application is on your HDD, just having the OS on the SSD will speed up loading applications?

I figured that to see a benefit from the SSD, you'd have to have your apps installed on it. I mean, if you have your apps on your HDD, then it's dependent on the HDD's speed as to how fast things load, while on the SSD it'll be the SSD's speed.

Am I right? :o

hirantha
12-15-09, 12:28 PM
Yes you are right... but cuz the OS is on a faster drive the time it takes to seek files and stuff is really low so it feels faster. That's what i think. after you see how fast the OS boots you will forget about everything else thats slow in the machine :D

Redeemed
12-15-09, 12:31 PM
So in other words... it's placebo. :p

This just confirms that whenever I go SSD, it'll have to be with a drive large enough to hold windows and all my programs.

hirantha
12-15-09, 12:35 PM
hahah yes if you can afford it. Its still too expensive to have all your stuff installed on a SSD

Redeemed
12-15-09, 01:00 PM
hahah yes if you can afford it. Its still too expensive to have all your stuff installed on a SSD

I hear ya' there- that's why I'm waiting. I do plan to get one, just want to get one large enough to hold all my programs. I have no problem storing my documents on a regular HDD. In fact, my current 500GB drive would become my backup drive- have all my music, pictures, movies, and other documents on it. The SSD would just have my OS and applications. But not till they come down quite a bit in price. :)

grey_1
12-15-09, 01:26 PM
I'm giving it at least another 6 months to see where the tech and $$ go.

I'd love to have 1 or 2, but I've jumped before only to find out if I waited a short period I could have had the same item for much less.

Redeemed
12-15-09, 01:38 PM
I'm giving it at least another 6 months to see where the tech and $$ go.

I'd love to have 1 or 2, but I've jumped before only to find out if I waited a short period I could have had the same item for much less.

+1

I remember buy two 640MB 8800GTS's on launch day for a little over $900 shipped, figuring inventory would dwindle and prices would sky rocket for the first few months.

Turns out they never went out of stock and the prices never went up, only down. :p

Gonna' be a *very* long time before I do something like that again (iow... NEVER). :lol:

DiscipleDOC
12-15-09, 02:01 PM
I think I'm going to wait a little longer.

grey_1
12-15-09, 04:43 PM
BUT an SSD is the best upgrade for nearly any computer. It's worth it! Sure the technology will be better in a few months and the prices lower but an SSD upgrade makes sense anyway - more so than for example upgrading from a Core2Quad to an i7 system.

All I can say is go for it :D

I agree with you, after everything I've read about them. For someone like me though who would rather get as much mileage as possible out of my hardware..well, if I grabbed one of these, I know I would want better as they became available, but I would never get a decent percentage of my cash back after paying so much for an SSD.

I don't think that will be as much of an issue within a few months to a year.

For you folks that do have them already though...I wish I could justify the cost to myself. :o

DiscipleDOC
12-16-09, 08:58 AM
I agree with you, after everything I've read about them. For someone like me though who would rather get as much mileage as possible out of my hardware..well, if I grabbed one of these, I know I would want better as they became available, but I would never get a decent percentage of my cash back after paying so much for an SSD.

I don't think that will be as much of an issue within a few months to a year.

For you folks that do have them already though...I wish I could justify the cost to myself. :o

Same here. I tried to justify it yesterday and couldn't.

Maverick123w
12-16-09, 09:12 AM
If I get my usual assortment of microcenter gift cards I may get one this year. Though I'll probably just get a new video card.

grey_1
12-16-09, 02:33 PM
I think the first SSD does make the biggest difference. Going from a HDD to a good SSD is a much bigger and more noticeable jump than buying a second, newer SSD.

I was much more impressed by the 80GB G1 Intel than by the G2 RAID 0. RAID 0 (and so will SATA 3.0) adds more bandwidth but IMO that's not the best part about an SSD ;)

In my opinion the first SSD is a good investment at any time.

I'm sure! After seeing some of the benchmarks you guys posted my own decision makes me want to cry LOL :p

I'm sure that once my wife and I get some other things done that we want to, I'll most likely grab one (or two), then I'm coming straight to you for advice. :D

Redeemed
12-16-09, 03:58 PM
I think the first SSD does make the biggest difference. Going from a HDD to a good SSD is a much bigger and more noticeable jump than buying a second, newer SSD.

I was much more impressed by the 80GB G1 Intel than by the G2 RAID 0. RAID 0 (and so will SATA 3.0) adds more bandwidth but IMO that's not the best part about an SSD ;)

In my opinion the first SSD is a good investment at any time.

Really?

So, right now I could only afford to get a 16GB, maybe 30GB SSD. That's just enough for Windows. ALL of my documents and applications would have to be installed onto my 500GB HDD. In this configuration the *only* place I'd see a performance boost would be Windows- loading Windows, shutting down Windows, firing up IE, firing up Media Center, firing up WMP, etc. Firing up a video game? Looking through my music, movie, and photo collection would be just as slow as it is now without an SSD.

As such, you still suggest an SSD being the best upgrade for me? Seriously? :wtf:

Redeemed
12-16-09, 05:17 PM
That's exactly why I wrote good SSD ;)

But I don't use SSDs for storage. Just as a boot/app drive and for a few games. The SSD should have enough capacity to hold at least your OS and most important apps.

At 16 to 30GB it will barely have enough room for 7 ultimate x64. WoW, alone, takes up 18GB, add Crysis, Steam and all the Steam games, etc... that FAR exceeds even the 30GB drive. I'll need at least 80GB.

Which is why it's best for me to wait. The benefit I'll see by getting a larger SSD would far out weight me getting a smaller one now.

Furthermore, SSD performance has little impact in-game. Once in-game it all boils down to RAM and your video card. Being primarily a gamer, that's what is most important to me.