PDA

View Full Version : Question for everyone

Floor
07-02-03, 05:36 PM
I'm getting a new PC here soon, and it's going to have a nForce2 in it.

Now I can choose between any of the current crop of video cards, and I'm leaning on the 5900 Ultra but I'm also wondering something.

Since the nForce2 is made by NVIDIA, do NVIDIA video cards have an added advantage over, say, an ATI card or something?

Nutty
07-02-03, 05:43 PM
No, both flavours of gfx cards work excellent in nforce2 mobob's. In fact I've even seen a review, where ATI cards worked better on nforce2 than other mobo's. Forget where at now.

john19055
07-02-03, 07:20 PM
I also seen where the Radeon 9800pro was more compatibal with the N-force2 ,but I have seen them work with nearly all intel chipsets with no problems too.But I don't think you will go wrong with either the ATI 9800Pro or the FX5900Ultra.

B&R
07-02-03, 08:00 PM
5900U and 9800p are both good choices but if price matters then go for 9800p.

Filburt
07-02-03, 10:44 PM
I would probably get the 9800 Pro as it's a better value. Both cards will work well with the nForce2 chipset.

tieros
07-03-03, 01:18 AM
The only advantage I can think of with choosing an nVidia card for an nForce 2 mobo is that if the card dies, at least you'll have the drivers already installed on your machine to use the crappy integrated graphics :D

Darth Rancid
07-03-03, 01:35 AM
Hey! You can't go around calling the nForce2 graphics "integrated"!...

:)

I read somewhere that nVidia was going to stop the mobo makers from calling it intergrated... since the word is associated with "slow", "crappy" and "game incompabilities"...

Edit: seems like ASUS is calling it integrated anyhow.. so I guess it's ok for you to do it also then...

tieros
07-03-03, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Darth Rancid
Hey! You can't go around calling the nForce2 graphics "integrated"!...

:)

LOL, I forgot!!!! I hope they didn't read this. They may decide to slip an "optimization" into the next set of Dets that will detect my machine and cause the monitor to explode!

They're not called Detonators for nothing! :D

Floor
07-03-03, 01:48 PM
Well, I went with the 5900 Ultra. Just ordered the PC today, and hope to have in within the next 20 days or so.

It's going to be strange though, going from a machine that's so old it's pathetic, to a 2800+. At least I can play games that have come out in the past 1-2 years without problems now...

digitalwanderer
07-03-03, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Floor
It's going to be strange though, going from a machine that's so old it's pathetic, to a 2800+. At least I can play games that have come out in the past 1-2 years without problems now...
It ain't gonna be strange, it's gonna be wonderful. :cool:

GlowStick
07-03-03, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
It ain't gonna be strange, it's gonna be wonderful. :cool:

Ha, ya i rember when i went from a crappy parckard hell to a custom built scsi computer..

it was like 'omg'.