PDA

View Full Version : Xfi fatality sound cracking issue

Madpistol
12-18-09, 09:13 PM
Here's my first (and only) issue with my new upgrade. I get a intermittent sound cracking in anything with audio about every 10 seconds. This issue occurs whenever a piece of music, video or other sound is played.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do to work towards correcting this issue?

nekrosoft13
12-18-09, 09:42 PM
what is your audio setting? ch, hz, bit etc...
try changing pci slots?
pci settings default in bios?

Mr Bigman
12-18-09, 10:29 PM
I thought that was all fixed vims.

I got the newer pci ex one works fine and i still have the xfi champion xram version pci with breakout box and it works great but had to round out the cable with black tape and that solved my isses a while back so try that shtroom and see if that helps.

Madpistol
12-18-09, 11:57 PM
Well, funny enough, I decided to revert to onboard audio. The problem is that the "cracking" noise is still there. :headexplode:

It's the motherboard. It has to be. My other motherboard/cpu/ram didn't have this problem. Other than this, the system is 100% stable and running great. I wish I could figure out how to fix this. :(

Yaboze
12-19-09, 12:21 AM
Maybe it's the speakers?

nekrosoft13
12-19-09, 12:29 AM
could be speakers like yaboze said, or maybe speaker cables.

other then that it simply could be the PCI bus on the motherboard

Madpistol
12-19-09, 10:03 AM
I thought it could be the speaker cables, but it was happening in too much of a patterned form for it to be that. To be certain, I tried my fiance's headset, and got exactly the same results.

I had one last hope of fixing this problem. I narrowed it down to a bad install of windows. So I decided to reinstall windows 7 last night, and it seems to have worked. My sound is now perfect like it was on my previous setup.

I'm having a real hard time nailing down what the problem was. I even got up this morning and did a modest overclock of my processor, and it's still working just fine. I guess I have to chalk this incident up to bad luck. I seriously can't figure out what went wrong or what I fixed, but apparently, starting over on a clean slate again was the ticket. Now I have to reinstall everything for the third time in 2 months... but at least my sound is fixed... for now. :)

Yaboze
12-19-09, 12:37 PM
That's weird, I guess an outdated file got in the mix maybe, or wasn't installed properly so it was causing an issue with the driver(s).

A friend had an issue with sound and it was the cable from his MB to the breakout ports in the front (Mic, Headphones, etc). You know, that Intel Audio HD spec jumper block wire that most new cases have these days. My Antec 900 has it and I was able to connect that to my X-Fi PCI-e, works great.