PDA

View Full Version : ASUS P5Q Pro ,Good Board?

XDanger
12-19-09, 09:19 AM
I'm looking at an upgrade possibility and would like to know if this board is OK or troublesome.

Revs
12-19-09, 09:42 AM
I've no direct experience of this mobo but it seems the opinion is there are better boards for similar money..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

Good, but not the best OCer

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-p5q-pro_9.html#sect0

Conclusion

Unfortunately, it is not the first time when we cannot draw a completely positive conclusion about an ASUS mainboard. Even though ASUS remains an indisputable leader in the mainboard segment, their products still suffer from a few frustrating drawbacks that may be regarded as critical.

ASUS P5Q Pro mainboard we have discussed today makes a great first impression. It offers a very attractive combination of price and functionality, boasts very convenient and smart design and supports a few very useful innovative technologies, such as ExpressGate – support of a “lite” version of an alternative operating system.

From a practical standpoint, ASUS P5Q Pro leaves ambiguous thoughts. On the one hand, this board seems to have tremendous potential. On the other, it turns out very hard to reveal. The chipset cooling system is not efficient enough in “heavy” modes, and the performance level is far from what other platforms have to offer.

However, we haven’t yet seen any remarkable solutions among competitors’ products on the same Intel P45 Express chipset. This suggests that even though Intel P45Express is the newest platform today, it is not the best one. So, stay tuned for more reviews of P45 Express based products on our site: we haven’t yet given up the search for ideal solution.

However, everything we have just said is true only if you consider yourself an overclocker or dedicated enthusiast. If you do not care about overclocking, but just need a stable contemporary platform, ASUS P5Q Pro is a very good choice that we would gladly recommend.

There may be a better BIOS out since this review as it's from last year.

nV`andrew
12-19-09, 12:03 PM
My first P5Q (vanilla) was DOA, second one just experienced problems with the northbridge HSF (I could've fixed it, but got lazy). It was an okay board, but I hated the layout. I'd go with Gigabyte's P45 board

XDanger
12-19-09, 12:43 PM
Its a 2nd hand bundle I'm looking at

P5Q Pro

Q9550

2x2gb Dominator

With the price of the cpu and ram the mobo works out free.

stjuart
12-19-09, 11:19 PM
Its a 2nd hand bundle I'm looking at

P5Q Pro

Q9550

2x2gb Dominator

With the price of the cpu and ram the mobo works out free.

I just upgraded to An I7 system and Iam looking to get rid of my Gigabyte EP45-ud3r , E8400 that is stable overclocked at 3.9 to 4.0 on air. Also memory is 4gigs G.Skill pc8500 cl5-5-5-15 2.0 to 2.1v. hit me with an offer if your interested. I just upgraded last week, intel retail edge so i got an I7 860 for $119, could not pass on that offer. this board is a monster when it comes to overclocking.

XDanger
12-20-09, 02:41 AM
I've gone for the Q9550, It was 205 so not bad as they go for 160 on thier own
ram is like 65 now also.

The board isnt so great but for the price I cant go wrong...I hope.

With a bit of perservence I can probably squeeze a good OC from it.

I'm not sure what I'll do with 2 pretty similar powered systems but at least I'll have the CF option now if needed.