PDA

View Full Version : dxgmms1.sys

ATOJAR
12-19-09, 10:29 AM
Not sure if this is in the correct section, I posted here becasue the error message kind of tells me its a GFX issue some where, My mate just built a system and has just started to get a BSOD, He has found the minidump file and managed to work out its a "dxgmms1.sys" problem!

Heres what he said ..

"I have the new Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Im getting a BSOD Minidump...

After I have taken ownership of the minidump file and Im able to read it with WinDbg, I have read a couple of sites on how to fix this problem but Im stuck?

It says on the site to goto the bottom and find where it says.... Probably Caused By....

mine comes back with; dxgmms1.sys

My System is:

Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro

Chip: Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

Chip Fan: Zalman CNPS9900-LED PWM Dual Flower CPU Cooler

Mem: 4 Gig Corsair

GPU: Asus GTX260

Sound: SB Audigy 4

1 x Sata2 Maxtor 320 Gig HDD
1 x Sata2 Samsung 1TB HDD

The problem is I am not sure if this is Graphics driver issue?
I get the BSOD when I play MW2 for a couple of mins, I can get it to stay on for about 10 mins but this is no good."

Heres what i said.

"Well im on Win7 x64 bit with the v195.81 drivers, No issues here.

By the looks of the "dxgmms1.sys" error its a direct x issue/conflict somewhere, Have you tried updating direct x?
Try updating direct x.

Try updating chipset drivers, update your bios.

If that dont work try uninstallling anything direct x related, gfx drivers, sound drivers ect.

Then run Driver Sweeper, Tick the relevant boxes to clean those drivers and do a fresh re-install."

I was just wondering has anybody come across this dxgmms1.sys issue before? How was it fixed?

AthlonXP1800
12-19-09, 11:52 AM
I never had a single Windows 7 BSOD since beta and RTM. Never heard of dxgmms1.sys BSOD before, I researched that it is DirectX issue. It may cause by bad memory stick or power supply.

Try run memtest86+ to detect memory errors and what power supply brand and model your mate use?

Silverbak
12-19-09, 12:01 PM
I have the same issue on x86-64 Windows 7.

For what it's worth, the RC version of Windows 7 was rock solid, but 'gold' has given me this issue.

Hopefully it will be fixed at some point.

nekrosoft13
12-19-09, 12:14 PM
did he install this update?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974431

one of the files that is updated in this hotfix is dxgmms1.sys
if he did install this update try uninstalling it to revert back to the original dxgmms1.sys

A TIN OF JUDAS
12-30-09, 09:34 AM
In answer and more help needed to the dxgmms1.sys errors Im getting in windows 7 64 bit when playing any game?

The kb974431 was not installed on my system and I have tried to install it but it states that it is not 4 my system?

Ok I have attached a DXDIAG 64 bit and a zip with 2 of the latest mini dumps
I hope you can help?

I have stress tested all components in my system with no errors and I have checked each stick of ram in each slot and rebooted my system 16 times to check each stick in each slot with no errors.

ATOJAR posted most of my problem in the first post with my system specs

I might add that my Power Suply is a Thermaltake purepower 520Watt.

If you require any more info please just ask
Regards
ATOJUDAS

nekrosoft13
12-30-09, 12:55 PM
ok, only one of your dumps relates to dxgmms1.sys. both of them refer to \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe it is basically NT kernel.

The kb974431 was not installed on my system and I have tried to install it but it states that it is not 4 my system?

that update is valid for all final RTM windows 7, did you try to apply correct version? 32bit vs 64bit? did you install some of the leaked/non-supported updates?

why are you using 185.93 Microsoft released driver for your video card

A TIN OF JUDAS
12-30-09, 07:17 PM
Hi nekrosoft13,
I was using the Graphics drivers that came with the operating system (Disk) I have tried all the drivers I can think of for my card Asus Nvidia GTX260 core 216, as far as I can recall I tried to install the 64bit version of kb974431 as it is 64bit system.

I did try and install non-suported but took it off again as I thought it may be that?

How do I fix the \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe it is basically NT kernel.?
Thank you for your help much needed....
Regards chris

A TIN OF JUDAS
12-31-09, 09:26 AM
OK this is the other 3 minidumps that I got that same night haha.

My plan for now is to put the 195.62 drivers on for 64 bit and to try and put the kb974431 64 bit on? thats if it will let me?

wollyka
01-03-10, 07:36 AM
ntoskrnl error may be caused by bad memory sticks..
did u try running memtest86+?

Yaboze
01-03-10, 02:02 PM
I never had this error but out of curiosity I checked my "installed updates" and I do have it installed, it might have came down from Windows Update.

Silverbak
01-03-10, 02:49 PM
I also have had the update install via Windows Update for some time now and still face this issue.

Every hardware component in the system is rock solid as evinced through stress testing and testament to the fact I also run Debian on this system with the latest NVIDIA drivers (which share a common code base) with no issues.

It's probably an issue with Windows 7 itself.

A TIN OF JUDAS
01-04-10, 10:10 AM
OK problems sorted.....

I was not able to format my HDD nor was I able to clear the Cmos?
I took the battery out and left it for a bit with the plug left in as an earth.....put battery back in and nothing not even a boot up as far as post, dead?
I had done all the stress tests inc: Memtest86+ and all the others that test CPU,GPU,PSU and sound card all 100%

I took my system to bits and took the board and cpu ram gpu psu for testing and the short answer is my Mobo was kaput....
So a new Mobo later and everything on it and a fresh install of windows 7 64 bit and not a sniff of a BSOD or any errors. I have installed the game that I was getting most BSOD from within mins and its running sweet. I have dirt 2 on, L4D2 & COD MW2 hahahahahaha god im so happy.

My advice to anybody that has an error dxgmms1.sys it could be the mobo giving up and not processing the info.

I have had serious issues with games but everything else was fine but that was because the board was not under load....
My game crashed within mins, my Board was 2 years old....

Good luck to everyone who has this issue hope you sort it but try all the stress tests and if it still does it get ya system checked bit by bit.

Silverbak
01-04-10, 01:42 PM
The thing is here, you changed two variables at once.

Was it:

a.) The motherboard

or

b.) The fresh reinstall

A TIN OF JUDAS
01-04-10, 04:36 PM
Well I was on XP before but it bluescreened a couple of times but was more stable?
it was fine browsing the net and doing silly stuff on the desktop?
But as soon as I played any game kaput....

I could not even run GTA IV on my system and its got more than it recomends?
Now it flys, so yes I would say it was the Motherboard. As I have still installed the windows 7 64 bit and have had no problems as yet. But I have also not done anything different with the way that I have installed it either.
So in fact I could say that it was not a driver issue!!! but the Motherboard all the time.

Thanks for all your help guys on this thank you.