PDA

View Full Version : Games for Windows Live - WTF?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MikeC
12-19-09, 10:58 PM
I just had my first experience with Games for Windows Live and it totally sucked. I had a free coupon for Dirt2, which I was able to successfully install via Steam. But hell no, that wasn't ****ing good enough.

When I launched the game, I was required to create a Games for Windows Live ID in order to save my progress in the game. Otherwise, my game progress would not be saved. After 20 minutes of dealing with setting up a Games for Windlows Live ID, I finally thought enough is enough - **** this ****.

Codemasters, their publisher, and ATI (the coupon came with the purchase of a Radeon 5870) can kiss my ass if they think I'm going to go through this crap in order to be able to able to save my progress in the game.

I mean why the hell isn't installing the product through Steam good enough?

Game uninstalled...

:barf:

Also, the Dirt2 install installed a third party sound system from Blue Ripple Sound Limited called Rapture3D software.

nekrosoft13
12-19-09, 11:04 PM
umm, mike, need to be a bit more observant.

steam gives you different key for live, its not the same key that you used to install the game

WeReWoLf
12-19-09, 11:05 PM
Wow... MikeC plays games?

-=DVS=-
12-19-09, 11:06 PM
Also you don't need Windows live online account to save games , just before you click go online scroll down there is hyperlink to create local account , no need for CD key or anything and you can save games. If you want to play singleplayer.

|MaguS|
12-19-09, 11:07 PM
Wow... MikeC plays games?

That's what I thought!

General Lee
12-19-09, 11:08 PM
If you go to any GFWL forums, you'll see a lot of people defending this sort of crap. They even have it in their heads that it's better than using Steam. I'm sorry, but that's BS. I once swore I'd never use Steam, but now that it's matured, it seems to work great. Sure, sometimes they have problems, but that's to be expected.

I just wish things were going better with Steam ATM, what with the latest TF2 updates being so botched. :(

nekrosoft13
12-19-09, 11:08 PM
Also you don't need Windows live online account to save games , just before you click go online scroll down there is hyperlink to create local account , no need for CD key or anything and you can save games. If you want to play singleplayer.

yap, was playing for entire week with no live account

NarcissistZero
12-19-09, 11:10 PM
I find the program somewhat annoying but not nearly as annoying as you seem to have.

I would advise a stress reliever.

nekrosoft13
12-19-09, 11:11 PM
If you go to any GFWL forums, you'll see a lot of people defending this sort of crap.

I hate GfWL, but what the hell are you talking about? Defending what crap?

what so hard to figure out about it?

1) you can play with no live account, that what offline account is for, done it for entire week
2) ATI radeon key DOES NOT equal LIVE key
3) after registering your ATI key on steam, steam gives you an actual LIVE key, that is diffrent from the original key

just like with most computer "issues" user/player is not paying attention

MikeC
12-19-09, 11:12 PM
umm, mike, need to be a bit more observant.

steam gives you different key for live, its not the same key that you used to install the gameI know that. But even after creating a Windows Live ID and entering the multiplayer key, there was still another step that I needed to complete. Some **** about creating an avatar or something like that...

MikeC
12-19-09, 11:13 PM
Wow... MikeC plays games?Yes, when I have time. Usually on the weekends now.

MikeC
12-19-09, 11:16 PM
Also you don't need Windows live online account to save games , just before you click go online scroll down there is hyperlink to create local account , no need for CD key or anything and you can save games. If you want to play singleplayer.Thanks for the info - I certainly missed that. Why not make singleplayer the default?

MikeC
12-19-09, 11:19 PM
I find the program somewhat annoying but not nearly as annoying as you seem to have.

I would advise a stress reliever.I'm usually an easy going person...really :)

MikeC
12-19-09, 11:24 PM
If you go to any GFWL forums, you'll see a lot of people defending this sort of crap. They even have it in their heads that it's better than using Steam. I'm sorry, but that's BS. I once swore I'd never use Steam, but now that it's matured, it seems to work great. Sure, sometimes they have problems, but that's to be expected.

I just wish things were going better with Steam ATM, what with the latest TF2 updates being so botched. :(The main thing that put me over the edge was seeing "Xbox" being referred to over and over again when signing up. But I don't have, and don't need or want, an Xbox.

MikeC
12-19-09, 11:28 PM
just like with most computer "issues" user/player is not paying attentionHad I know beforehand that Games for Windows Live was involved, I would have never installed the game in the first place. Although I may not have been paying attention, the method in which the information was presented was deceptive and I hate that kind of crap.

MikeC
12-19-09, 11:32 PM
2) ATI radeon key DOES NOT equal LIVE keyYeah, you busted me there :afro2:

Albo
12-19-09, 11:37 PM
:spam: posts.
Someone ban this spammer, 7 posts in a row.

MikeC
12-19-09, 11:49 PM
:spam: posts.
Someone ban this spammer, 7 posts in a row.Done.

Commence with forum self-destruction process...

nekrosoft13
12-19-09, 11:55 PM
haha, mike is banned

Buio
12-19-09, 11:57 PM
:D

snowmanwithahat
12-20-09, 12:00 AM
I agree.. Batman AA was bull**** too... I really hope this GFWL **** dies forever.

AdamK47
12-20-09, 12:55 AM
I didn't really like GFW Live the first time I tried it. For an experienced PC gamer the whole thing is counterintuitive. For the causal, it's cake. You can't do things with it that an advanced user would want. Offline game saving being just one of them.

K007
12-20-09, 12:56 AM
LMAO banned!! hahah

mailman2
12-20-09, 01:27 AM
Had I know beforehand that Games for Windows Live was involved, I would have never installed the game in the first place. Although I may not have been paying attention, the method in which the information was presented was deceptive and I hate that kind of crap.

Another joy of GFWL is that there is an installation activation limit without anyway of revoking with all GFWL games. In other words you might have a 5 install limit with DiRT2 in GFWL and there is no way to revoke those activations - you have to call MS and it takes them about a month, they issue a whole new key. I went through this with GTA IV already. So don't create an online profile and activate unless you are sure you wont be reinstalling frequently.

GFWL = massive fail.

NarcissistZero
12-20-09, 01:58 AM
The main thing that put me over the edge was seeing "Xbox" being referred to over and over again when signing up. But I don't have, and don't need or want, an Xbox.

It was so much worse when it started, believe it or not. The entire interface was designed for an Xbox controller and had the button graphics and all with NO mouse support.

These execs really thought we all wished we could use a control pad for everything, that mice were a hinderance.