PDA

View Full Version : 5870 or Wait for nVidia?


Pages : [1] 2

NarcissistZero
12-20-09, 05:17 AM
I want an upgrade in January when I get some money in. I think I have three options:

1) Get a 5870 (or maybe a 5970) from ATI.
2) Get a second GTX 275 for SLI
3) Wait for nVidia's next gen gpus and upgrade processor/ram/mobo.

The processor/ram/mobo combo would be just as expensive as a high-end ATI card since I have nowhere to go but i7s and the cheapest is $300 and requires a new mobo and DDR3 ram.

Pick your poison in the poll.

AthlonXP1800
12-20-09, 06:20 AM
Wait for Nvidia, they probably will launch in end of January 2010.

Toss3
12-20-09, 07:46 AM
I want an upgrade in January when I get some money in. I think I have three options:

1) Get a 5870 (or maybe a 5970) from ATI.
2) Get a second GTX 275 for SLI
3) Wait for nVidia's next gen gpus and upgrade processor/ram/mobo.

The processor/ram/mobo combo would be just as expensive as a high-end ATI card since I have nowhere to go but i7s and the cheapest is $300 and requires a new mobo and DDR3 ram.

Pick your poison in the poll.

Just get a 5870 now if you can find one. You could end up waiting 'til march if you go with a fermi and I bet it won't be available en mass 'til maybe may or june.

agentkay
12-20-09, 08:39 AM
Wait, unless you really need to upgrade. Not impressed in the least in the latest ATI cards.

NarcissistZero
12-20-09, 08:45 AM
Wait, unless you really need to upgrade. Not impressed in the least in the latest ATI cards.

I've heard they are rather amazing actually.

grey_1
12-20-09, 09:38 AM
No good option in the poll for it, but I'm choosing to wait until reliable Fermi benchmarks are made public.

I'm kind of aching for an upgrade myself, but I'd rather see what's going to be available and where prices will be. My E8500 and HD4870 do what's needed for now, so waiting until Feb/April/March for one massive upgrade won't kill me. It's not that far off.

NarcissistZero
12-20-09, 09:44 AM
No good option in the poll for it, but I'm choosing to wait until reliable Fermi benchmarks are made public.

Yeah.

I kind of feel like supporting ATI this time around, they seem to be making some real effort and I like the idea of Eyefinity someday when I can afford it, plus the benchies for the 5870 look delicous.

On the other hand I have used nVidia for years and years and know nHancer and their drivers well, plus I always hear about problems with ATI drivers and older games.

Madpistol
12-20-09, 09:49 AM
If money is no object, the 5970 is the way to go.

If you're weary of what nvidia may drop onto the market, you should wait a little while until initial benchmarks are released. I have a feeling that it won't be anything amazing though. Usually when ATI releases this strong of an offering and Nvidia doesn't counter immediately, it means ATI has done something special and caught Nvidia with its pants down (i.e. the Radeon 9700/9800 vs. Geforce FX 5800/5900)

The 5870 is a very strong offering currently. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong no matter what you decide to do.

BTW, I'm thinking about getting a 5870 in the near future and basically making the full transformation from Intel/Nvidia to AMD. After witnessing the power of the 4870 on my Fiance's computer, I'm sold on what the 5870 can do. They're both fantastic cards. :D

Xion X2
12-20-09, 10:36 AM
5870 would be a solid purchase right now.

5970 CrossfireX would be even better. ;)

ViN86
12-20-09, 10:55 AM
I'd wait for GT300. Supposed to be not too far away. At least see what it's capable of.

If it's not up to par, then go with the 5870. If you have the cash, go for the 5970.

lee63
12-20-09, 11:20 AM
I'd wait....Fermi is getting pretty close ;) and who knows when its really coming out. The only thing you wont be able to do is enable the DX 11 effects in AvP and Dirt 2.

We should see some legitimate numbers in Jan...I would think.

ATi have done a good job with their cards this round, I'm very happy with my set up as of now...but I want to make sure that I'm able to max out Crysis 2 with some AA...

if that means getting a couple of Fermi's or ATi's refresh or maybe just adding another 5870 then so be it :o

nekrosoft13
12-20-09, 12:30 PM
No good option in the poll for it, but I'm choosing to wait until reliable Fermi benchmarks are made public..
waiting till both cars are available, then i will decide

mullet
12-20-09, 03:27 PM
waiting till both cars are available, then i will decide

I agree but if slaWter likes his then I am feeling better about jumping on a 5870 being I only game @ 1680x1050. I will wait to hopefully see price drop on both cards.

lee63
12-20-09, 03:52 PM
I agree but if slaWter likes his then I am feeling better about jumping on a 5870 being I only game @ 1680x1050. I will wait to hopefully see price drop on both cards.You'll be fine at that res.

NarcissistZero
12-20-09, 07:33 PM
The 5970 could probably be done but everything I read says 2x5870s slaughters it, and I could probably get a second 5870 sometime down the line.

grey_1
12-20-09, 07:36 PM
The 5970 could probably be done but everything I read says 2x5870s slaughters it, and I could probably get a second 5870 sometime down the line.

Wouldn't that just make you further cpu bound? 5970 is pretty potent, not that I'd mind having one....

snowmanwithahat
12-21-09, 02:56 AM
If I were you i'd really consider waiting...

looking at 5870 benches, they're not too much better than sli offerings of 2xx series cards... for example it doesn't actually beat the 295 in every case... in fact there's quite a few cases where the dual nvidia gpus are faster.

In which case another 275 would be really solid... however, I don't think i'd recommend that with dx11 coming and fermi coming soon.

More than likely waiting will do nothing negative to your options. By waiting you gain the ability to purchase a fermi card, buying a 275 DIRT cheap because of the next gen coming, or get a 5870 at a surely discounted price because of the fermi cards...

no matter what you'll either get the best of the best in a few months, or you'll save a considerable amount of cash on current offerings

loafer87gt
12-21-09, 02:56 AM
I would go with the 5870. Nvidia has made no hints as to when we could expect to see Fermi based cards on the shelves. If it was coming out soon, one would think they would make mention of this, or at least leak some early benchmarks or do a paper launch to try and maintain support from the Nvidia loyal. The fact they have been silent leads me to believe Fermi is still a LOOOONG way off. At the rate they are going, I say June before we can actually get a Fermi card in our hands.

FlakMagnet
12-21-09, 06:15 AM
There aren't that many games that use DX11 at the moment (I think DiRT 2 is the only available game supporting it), so I think it would be better to wait for a while more to see what Fermi can do. Besides, my GTX280 runs everything I have good enough for me, so I'm not in the 'must upgrade' camp.

For me, I'm waiting for Fermi as I want to use 3D Vision and get me one of those new 1920x1080 120Hz monitors to go with it :) So for me, ATi is not an option.

However, if you want to utilise EyeFinity, you only have one option - ATi. I did see a post somewhere that hinted that nVidia were *maybe* working on something similar for Fermi (said he couldn't say anything else because of NDA), but seeing as nVidia have release very little information at all regarding Fermi, it's best not to gamble on that sort of feature being supported.

Viral
12-21-09, 06:28 AM
I voted 5870, but only if you feel like you need to upgrade now. If not, it would be better to wait and compare as even if Fermi isn't for you, 5870 prices should come down and maybe a refresh will hit the shelves.

Don't go a second 275, DX11 will definitely be worth having early next year and then you'll just be in the situation I'm in - Want DX11 but 5870 not enough of an upgrade and 5970 too expensive. Hopefully Fermi will change that for me :)

NarcissistZero
12-21-09, 09:34 PM
Wouldn't that just make you further cpu bound? 5970 is pretty potent, not that I'd mind having one....

I don't think we're at a point yet where a high-end quad is limiting my performance to a severe degree. I know the overclockers here seem to think so and maybe there is truth to that, but still the only CPU I would even think to move to is the i7 920 and benches show it's not much better than my current one.

grey_1
12-21-09, 09:51 PM
I don't think we're at a point yet where a high-end quad is limiting my performance to a severe degree. I know the overclockers here seem to think so and maybe there is truth to that, but still the only CPU I would even think to move to is the i7 920 and benches show it's not much better than my current one.

Yeah, not for gaming. There was a pretty good discussion on that a while back and benches we found showed the C2Q up there with the i7s.

Either way, hope what ever you choose works the best for you.

Bman212121
12-22-09, 07:59 AM
Where is the option to just shut up Magus? :p

I'd probably just wait to see what Nvidia's offerings look like. I can't imagine you're hurting too bad with a GTX 275 and the only direction prices will go is down when Fermi comes out.

Crow_Nest
12-22-09, 08:54 AM
Wait for NVIDIA.

mullet
12-22-09, 11:04 AM
Wait for INTEL. LOL