PDA

View Full Version : How the Hell do I enable AA/AF/benchmark my video card?

Simonsays
07-03-03, 02:31 AM
I've got a GeForceFX 5600 Ultra and I have no idea how to benchmark this thing. I'll list my questions:

1) What games should I use to benchmark this card?
2) What commands do I need to input in the games to benchmark this card? I know Quake 3's "timedemo 1" benchmark, that's easy. But what about other games like Serious Sam, Comanche, UT2K3, etc.?
3) Where are the quality, AA, AF, etc. settings on my card? Advanced Settings? Control Panel? I'm really clueless.

Thanks a million for any help guys. :-)

StealthHawk
07-03-03, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Simonsays
[B]I've got a GeForceFX 5600 Ultra and I have no idea how to benchmark this thing. I'll list my questions:

1) What games should I use to benchmark this card?[/]b]

That's a tough one. It really depends on why you want to benchmark at all. If you want to see performance in games you play, then the answer is simply that you should benchmark the games that you play. If you want to compare your system to other systems, then you should benchmark the popular bench games, such as Serious Sam, UT2003, Splinter Cell, Quake3, 3dmark, etc. If you want to brag about your scores, you're probably better off just running 3dmark.

2) What commands do I need to input in the games to benchmark this card? I know Quake 3's "timedemo 1" benchmark, that's easy. But what about other games like Serious Sam, Comanche, UT2K3, etc.?

I'll decline to comment on this. Every game is different. UT2003 for example, has a benchmark.exe that runs the benchies for you.

3) Where are the quality, AA, AF, etc. settings on my card? Advanced Settings? Control Panel? I'm really clueless.

Display properties/Advanced/nvidia tab. There will be sliders that let you set the quality, degree of FSAA, and degree of AF.

digitalwanderer
07-03-03, 09:11 AM
I've got a GeForceFX 5600 Ultra and I have no idea how to benchmark this thing. I'll list my questions:

1) What games should I use to benchmark this card?

Thanks a million for any help guys. :-)
1) The ones you play
2) www.google.com is a reviewers best friend
3) Right-click anywhere on the open desktop, goto "Properties", goto "Settings", goto "Advanced Options"

Simonsays
07-04-03, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the response guys, it really helps! :)

What I really want to know is how to compare my cards. My friend and I are experimenting with our video cards to see which one is faster (we don't put all our faith in reviewers, even though they know a great deal more than we do). So, I want to compare my friend's 9800 Pro with my 5900 non-Ultra. Therefore, I'd like to know which AA and AF settings and which modes (quality, performance, high performance) to accurately compare my 5900 against my friend's 9800 Pro. Obviously I wouldn't compare my 5900 in high performance mode with AA and AF disabled to my friend's 9800 Pro in quality mode at 8X AA and 16X AF.

Thanks a million guys for any more help! :)

digitalwanderer, I work for google, so yeah I did use it. ;)

digitalwanderer
07-04-03, 09:24 AM
Well if I can't take a few minutes to help out an employee of the company that helps me out all the time who can I try and help? :)

Ok, next thing would be list some of the games you have installed/like and we'll tell you how to bench them. Go get fraps (http://www.fraps.com/) now and start playing with it, it's gonna be your newest favorite program before you get done benching....it takes all the hard parts out and does the icky work for ya. ;)

Seriously, list out some games you have and we'll tell you how to bench them. If you really want to get carried away you can also download Unwinders anti-detection scripts and see how they REALLY compare...

StealthHawk
07-04-03, 07:06 PM
What I really want to know is how to compare my cards. My friend and I are experimenting with our video cards to see which one is faster (we don't put all our faith in reviewers, even though they know a great deal more than we do). So, I want to compare my friend's 9800 Pro with my 5900 non-Ultra. Therefore, I'd like to know which AA and AF settings and which modes (quality, performance, high performance) to accurately compare my 5900 against my friend's 9800 Pro. Obviously I wouldn't compare my 5900 in high performance mode with AA and AF disabled to my friend's 9800 Pro in quality mode at 8X AA and 16X AF.

Well, the most direct way to compare AF is to use ATI's Quality 8xAF compared to nvidia's Quality or Performance 8xAF.

As for FSAA, ATI's 4x is easily a match for any of the modes nvidia offers(ie, 4x, 4xS, 6xS, 8x).