PDA

View Full Version : DFI to exit motherboard market Jan 2010?

Pages : [1] 2

AthlonXP1800
12-21-09, 11:19 PM
http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/18180

It happened to Abit in 2008, now it DFI turn and who next to go?

It seem small players had no chance to compete with big players like ASUS, ECS, MSI and Gigabyte.

bob saget
12-21-09, 11:31 PM
http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/18180

It happened to Abit in 2008, now it DFI turn and who next to go?

It seem small players had no chance to compete with big players like ASUS, ECS, MSI and Gigabyte.

I don't think they did too well with their 1366 motherboards.

nekrosoft13
12-22-09, 12:24 AM
so hilarious that you put ECS in with the other top dogs.

snowmanwithahat
12-22-09, 01:14 AM
And considered DFI to be a small one... DFI owned the early lga 775, early socket 939 and socket A markets... it's a shame that they didn't get much attention afterwards

With that being said... now that I'm reminded of it Abit was another crazy good motherboar company that I really hate to see going down. The only ones that ever stood out at one point or another for having great enthusiast boards would be

MSI
Abit
Asus
Gigabyte
DFI

... I don't quite consider foxconn, ECS, or those other smaller brands to really have a large foot-hold in the enthusiast market

Viral
12-22-09, 01:15 AM
They dropped the ball a few years ago. Their mobo's were meant to be for overclockers, but there have been better overclocking boards out there for every platform for the past few years without all the problems the DFI boards had.

Was pretty much the same story with Abit.

FastRedPonyCar
12-22-09, 03:15 PM
so hilarious that you put ECS in with the other top dogs.

They build a lot of OEM boards along with Foxconn.

ViN86
12-22-09, 03:27 PM
Aww terrible news. DFI made great enthusiast boards. They were a little on the pricey side but they were always quality boards.

nekrosoft13
12-22-09, 03:51 PM
They build a lot of OEM boards along with Foxconn.

and after owning 3, they are all terrible

ViN86
12-22-09, 03:54 PM

Meh, I personally like DFI boards. My last 2 boards have been DFI, both are rock stable.

Drolfrawd
12-22-09, 04:09 PM
I bought a couple of Foxcon boards a couple of years ago, and they were the most worthless pieces of **** I've ever worked with. I'll never buy another Foxcon.

+1 . I made this mistake also . These boards
are rubbish , best left to the bargain basement bins, or third rate system builders.
ECS = poo , Asus Gigabyte , perhaps MSI Intel,were decent boards. I thought that DFI were pretty much in the major league too.

Another pile of crap that I have unfortunately owned is an Asrock board, I think it was a Socket A platform.
Mostly I have bought Asus , and have only once been disappointed.

nekrosoft13
12-22-09, 04:19 PM
Meh, I personally like DFI boards. My last 2 boards have been DFI, both are rock stable.

i was reffering to ECS

Johnny C
12-22-09, 10:04 PM
I've owned 3 DFI boards all had quirks, but when DFI street was in operation the customer support for overclocking was second to none. Since they stopped the whole DFI street support site/forums DFI can go choke on their own manhood.

bob saget
12-22-09, 10:06 PM
I've owned 3 DFI boards all had quirks, but when DFI street was in operation the customer support for overclocking was second to none. Since they stopped the whole DFI street support site/forums DFI can go choke on their own manhood.

+1. I was also wondering what happened to them. That forum was awesome. They helped me overclock my AMD.

AthlonXP1800
12-23-09, 02:27 PM

Hmmm really? Well MSI is terrible when the motherboard I was installed back in 2001 for my uncle PC died just months after I bought it and then bought ECS K7S5A motherboard. I was amazed at the quality and stability, it as good as ASUS and my uncle used my old Socket A 1GHz Athlon and the motherboard still worked great 9 years on. :cool:

bob saget
12-24-09, 04:04 AM
I liked my DFI, and would definetly buy again if they were solid.

betterdan
12-24-09, 09:06 AM
I only owned one DFI board and that was back when I had a 300 Celeron that I overclocked to 450. Great board.

Bearclaw
12-24-09, 11:26 AM
Never owned a DFI but have used multiple ASUS and multiple Biostar and not had one issue with any boards. Always put DFI up there with major league boards. They seemed stable, great condition and I know a lot of big users on here have used them, ie: jakup.

Woodelf
12-24-09, 05:40 PM
Suck's, but the one and only high end board was a total pos that went dead. and I'm not 100% happy with my giga either.
Serously, I had an awesome experience with a crappy no namer called "jetway" which are ceurrently still running in my household (2 of them). They made an awesome overclockable athlon 64 board that could be only rivaled by my abit nf7-s. I'm just saying..you shouldn't doubt the under dog.

bob saget
12-24-09, 07:41 PM
Suck's, but the one and only high end board was a total pos that went dead. and I'm not 100% happy with my giga either.
Serously, I had an awesome experience with a crappy no namer called "jetway" which are ceurrently still running in my household (2 of them). They made an awesome overclockable athlon 64 board that could be only rivaled by my abit nf7-s. I'm just saying..you shouldn't doubt the under dog.

What is wrong with your gigabyte? thats what I have. Make sure you do a bios flash using Qflash.

Woodelf
12-24-09, 09:28 PM
What is wrong with your gigabyte? thats what I have. Make sure you do a bios flash using Qflash.

No, I believe I have the H ver. of the beta bios's. It's just that it periodically makes me boot to bios to re-save changes again. But I can't do that with My G15 keyboard, so I have to run for a ps-2 keyboard to enter bios just to hit save again.
I guess It could be worse. I just think that this dual bios is too easy to make think there is a boot problem, where another bios wouldn't.

bob saget
12-25-09, 03:44 AM
No, I believe I have the H ver. of the beta bios's. It's just that it periodically makes me boot to bios to re-save changes again. But I can't do that with My G15 keyboard, so I have to run for a ps-2 keyboard to enter bios just to hit save again.
I guess It could be worse. I just think that this dual bios is too easy to make think there is a boot problem, where another bios wouldn't.

have you tried all of the official bioses? There was an F10 out a while back, maybe F11 by now.

NVM, only F10 are out http://forums.tweaktown.com/276790-post199.html

Woodelf
12-25-09, 07:01 AM
Another thing I don't like about this ud4p is that it doesn't show 12V values. Not even in everest.

fasedww
12-26-09, 08:41 AM
http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/12/24/dfi_quitting_consumer_motherboard_market

betterdan
12-26-09, 12:44 PM
Another thing I don't like about this ud4p is that it doesn't show 12V values. Not even in everest.

Yea my Gigabyte board doesn't show correct 12v readings in anything other than the bios. Weird

bknblk
12-26-09, 01:34 PM
Meh, I am a Gigabyte or EVGA fan myself. Foxconn is huge and been around forever. I thought they did a lot of OEM manufacturing, as well as marketing their own branded boards.