PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to punch my geforce 9300 chipset in the face!

djdeerock
12-23-09, 01:38 PM
I could really use some help on this one. I've spent at least 2 full days trying to figure out why I am getting terrible artifacting with my new HTPC build.

Intel Core2Duo 3.0 proc (E8400)
2x2GB Corsair DDR2800 RAM (TWIN2x4096-6400C5C)
2x1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs (ST310005N1A1AS)
EVGA 730i Mobo (Integrated GeForce 9300 chipset)
Samsung SyncMaster 2494 24" LCD over a DVI connection

I thought this chipset was supposed to offer a pretty good HD experience, (for being integrated) but that was a lie. So far the experience has been abysmal.

I"m running Windows 7 Pro x64, and I've primarily tested 720p .mkv rips, with various players (VLC, TMT3, WMPx64, and MPCx64) and various codec packs (none, shark007x64, and CCCP).

The files play, and there are parts that do look amazing, but the sporadic artifacting makes the experience unenjoyable. I get color distortion, pixelation...the works. In some frames it can even take up as much as 90% of the screen, while in others it is only speckled throughout.

To cause further confusion, even some standard def .avi files that I try to play have some artifacting. Some .mp4 files I have, that are supposed to be high def, (podcasts from revision3.com) play completely fine. The quality isnt the best but no artifacting.

Proc usage is around 12%, so i assume thats not the problem, and I get no artifacting at any other time, only video playback.

I'm totally lost. I'm not sure whether the problem is related to hardware, codecs, or magic spells cast over me preventing me from ever watching HD quality video. Can anyone offer some advice?

I am running the lastest Geforce 9300 drivers: 195.62. However, I havent flashed the bios since purchase. I didnt think this would help.

ragejg
12-23-09, 02:03 PM
Check your chipset coolers and add some AS5 if needed?

That plus a BIOS flash should help.

djdeerock
12-23-09, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I only have the stock heatsink on right now, but its not even warm to the touch. All my temps register fine, probably because I'm not even able to sit through enough of playback for it to heat up. I get ticked and quit. haha

I will try the BIOS flash, though. Guess I was wrong to assume that that wouldn't help! In case it doesn't work...anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

XDanger
12-23-09, 02:16 PM
RMA

If you apply your own tim and it doesnt help you've broken the warranty.

Hope the flash goes well.

djdeerock
12-23-09, 02:50 PM
Good thing I didn't disassemble and take that advice! haha

This is the first new mobo I've ever purchased. All of my past builds have been out of hand-me-down parts and used stuff.

Does replacing the northbridge heatsink, in and of itself, void the warranty, or just applying the tim?

XDanger
12-23-09, 02:52 PM
EVGA are good so it might not, I think as long as you dont break it while you're doing it you should be OK.

djdeerock
12-23-09, 04:01 PM
To anyone willing to read this thread:

Is it possible that the .mkv files I am trying to play are just encoded in a way that the integrated gpu can't decode them as well as other encoding methods?

i read a few things that suggested that might be a possibility. seems like a stretch, but like i said the supposedly high def .mp4s play fine.

I'm looking for anything that prevents me from having to disassemble this build.

Bearclaw
12-23-09, 04:46 PM
Well, do the hi-def mp4s work fine or not? If they do then I would argue its a .mkv file type problem.

Also: This is an hardcore enthusiast forum. Get a dedicated GPU, n00b.

djdeerock
12-23-09, 04:51 PM
Bearclaw, the .mp4s work fine in the sense that there is no artifacting. However, the picture quality make me question whether they are actually "full" high def. The resolutions are, but the picture quality is between standard def and high def.

Also, there is the issue with even low def .avis artifacting.

On a more personal note, hardcore enthusiasts don't sell their gaming rig to buy Apple products :D

Its okay, I'll still be your friend. :)

djdeerock
12-23-09, 08:56 PM
Here's an update: bios flash helped the artifacting, but it is definitely not gone. .avi's are noticeably better in WMP and Media Center without codecs.

Also checked temps again, even after running a 720p file for about 5 minutes the northbridge is still cool to the touch.

Should I just RMA?

Bearclaw
12-23-09, 09:00 PM
I would say RMA. Why not? It's a brand new board.

ragejg
12-23-09, 10:11 PM
Also: This is an hardcore enthusiast forum. Get a dedicated GPU, n00b.

hahaha what?

No. This place is for anyone who wants to talk about any level of computer or graphics hardware!

(pb)failclaw(pb)

Bearclaw
12-23-09, 10:53 PM
hahaha what?

No. This place is for anyone who wants to talk about any level of computer or graphics hardware!

(pb)failclaw(pb)

He's a personal friend of mine. Just giving him crap. (nana2)

jebner100
12-24-09, 06:39 AM
i can't really help you with your issue as my 8800gtx's don't have this problem but I had to comment on one of the funniest forum thread titles I've read in a long time. Perfectly captures what every pc hardware enthusiast feels from time to time. Wish you luck and thanks for the laugh.

Quick420
12-24-09, 05:42 PM
RMA the broken piece of junk.The new one will work....

XDanger
12-24-09, 05:53 PM
one of the funniest forum thread titles I've read in a long time.

+1

Bearclaw
12-24-09, 06:25 PM
RMA the broken piece of junk.The new one will work....

QFT. +1