PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 2 DLC is Content Cut From Game

nekrosoft13
12-23-09, 05:33 PM
A while ago i did mention that developers will start doing this, cutting out content from games, just to charge you extra for it later.

In the middle of 2009, his team informed him that they wouldn't have time to fully test the game as it was currently planned. "I felt that, 'Okay, there were too many things to do and to finish.' So we said, 'let's take a portion of the game that was planned and we'll give it in as DLC.' We'll remove some stress to the team while giving more to fans and people who like Assassin's Creed."

That wasn't the only piece cut from the game. The team also had to remove the ability to replay any mission, due to lack of time for proper testing. Desilets points out that it could still be patched in "eventually." Given the reasoning for the content removal, it seems as if the other options were a delayed game or one without its pieces properly tested, so Desilets is confident he made the right choice. "I think we gave them so much content that they cannot say that we owe them, that we didn't give them a lot for their 60 bucks," he said.

http://kotaku.com/5431098/a-2009-view-from-the-top-one-mans-year-making-assassins-creed-ii

MustangSVT
12-23-09, 06:01 PM
I imagined that when I saw that the DLC in the game was like pre-planned for. Honestly, I'm not surprised. Didn't they pull the same stunt with the last Prince of Persia where the epilogue ending was like a DLC or some bull**** like that? I'll be getting AC2 when it's on sale for PC, not on launch, that's for sure.

Banko
12-23-09, 06:19 PM
Well it is all the publishers idea, and they probably aren't pushing developers as hard anymore. If Kotor II came out now we might actually get a full game with all the content that they couldn't put in because of time constraints so in a way this could be a plus but a negative because publishers will abuse this.

3DBrad
12-23-09, 07:35 PM
AC2 is a big, well-funded game. It has a ton of content, but they aren't charging more even though there are other games that have development costs that are half and provide half the content or less.

DLC is an opportunity for multiple things,
(1) Ideas/goals that are not possible during the production cycle can be moved to DLC. It's safer, and prevents the game from taking forever in production.
(2) Themes not 100% related to the retail game can then be added without the player having to wait several years for it to be in the next release.
(3) Further support the video game industry without risking financials on a long, drawn-out project. Lower risk to the developer and the player. It's a win/win.

These are just a few of the gains with DLC.

styles-T
12-23-09, 08:38 PM
This could back fire. When I play a demo for the first time and don't like what I see or think its not worth the price I wont bother buying it. So cutting content from a great game and adding those features later can take a game from great to average. I guess they will have to play their cards right.

LordJuanlo
12-24-09, 05:14 AM
So you pay $50 for an incomplete game, you have to pay additional $$$ to get it all. Loving the DLC system... NOT

knghtwhosaysni
12-24-09, 05:27 AM
Did you guys think AC2 was an incomplete game? I haven't played it, but it seems most people were very content with it and worth the $60.

Eh I think this complaint is kinda dumb. I think with the loads of reviews that are out there and/or renting a game before buying it, you can get a very good idea of how much content is in the game and whether that justifies the price. I don't think anyone is being deceptive about the amount of content upon release; it's always well documented. Do you feel a game is incomplete? Then don't buy it.

The argument seems to suggest that when you buy a game, the company owes you every last bit of content made or pondered about during the development period--disregarding the lack of playtesting, bug fixing, and integration of the content into the game. I think no, all that they owe you is what they advertised as being included in your $60 purchase and they make no bones about what is included before you pay for it.

LurkerLito
12-24-09, 09:15 AM
Do they owe you that content the answer to that is NO. The problem is they are on a very slippery slope. This is the first time a developer has admitted that they cut out planned features to put out later as DLC paid for content. How complete the game is or isn't is not really the problem. This will now become a huge perception problem that all these developers and publishers are doing nothing else but selling incomplete games in order to make you buy more of already prepared content on the disc that just a few years ago before the invention of DLC would have been given for free with the game at launch. In the end I think all this is going to backfire on them. Most people will now stop buying at release as the perception is the game is either incomplete and will require DLC. That will increase the number of people who will wait till the eventual gold/complete versions of the game to be released at a lower price point.

3DBrad
12-24-09, 02:05 PM
There isn't a movie or a game that ships with everything that was originally envisioned for the game. IGN, Gamespot, etc. gave the game good reviews, much because of the large production values, the amount of content, etc.

Just consider Avatar, King Kong, Lord of the Rings, etc. All of these had longer versions that weren't released in theaters, yet the movies were great when they were released, same thing with this game.
:)

Quick420
12-24-09, 04:21 PM
So you pay $50 for an incomplete game, you have to pay additional $$$ to get it all. Loving the DLC system... NOT

+1 This is kinda sh itty isnt it? Pay extra money to finish a game? LOL $5.00 to see the credits.

nutcrackr
12-24-09, 04:53 PM
I don't understand why they would admit this. It makes no sense to me. Why not just say "We had some ideas about DLC but nothing that really came together until we finished the game"

I mean I'm sure publishers are forcing content to be removed, or space given for DLC. Day one DLC and Special units annoy me. BUT PEOPLE KEEP BUYING IT. To me it seems like publishers are testing the waters, pushing it more and more. They want to find a point where gamers will still pay for it and will make the most money. Basically see how much they can screw the consumer over without them knowing it.

DLC holds very dirty connotations for me now. The name was essentially born on consoles and now it's on PC it makes me sad. Hopefully Ass Creed 2 PC has a few of the DLC packs included. PC has been good at fighting the DLC efforts for a long time. all of valve content. world at war map packs etc. I think that's going to change in 2010.