PDA

View Full Version : Realism vs Game Balancing

nekrosoft13
12-23-09, 05:36 PM
You can't have a game that is both 100% realistic and have gameplay balanced out.

How can developer game balance the game by reducing damage/range on certain guns/cars/powers just to balance out gameplay.

these two terms simply don't work together.

CaptNKILL
12-23-09, 05:38 PM
Nothing will ever be 100% realistic... other than reality. :p

ATi
12-23-09, 05:43 PM
Arma 2 is about 80%-90% realistic

CaptNKILL
12-23-09, 05:55 PM

I think our definition of 100% realistic is pretty different. :lol:

Drolfrawd
12-23-09, 06:02 PM
Is Simbadoc a reality :D

|MaguS|
12-23-09, 06:08 PM

No its not, not even close.

grey_1
12-23-09, 06:12 PM
Realistic graphics? Would love em.

Realistic gameplay?

No thanks.

I want fun. Period

nekrosoft13
12-23-09, 06:14 PM
i just find it funny how they certain game realistic game, and then release game balancing tweaks/patches

these two terms simply don't work together

grey_1
12-23-09, 06:18 PM
i just find it funny how they certain game realistic game, and then release game balancing tweaks/patches

these two terms simply don't work together

The tweaks and patches are after the balance proves too realistic. ;)

:p

ATi
12-23-09, 06:20 PM
No its not, not even close.how about Left 4 dead 2 in Realism mode? 100%?!:p

Banko
12-23-09, 06:22 PM
It's never going to be 100% realistic unless you actually start dying in real life.

LydianKnight
12-23-09, 06:36 PM
'realism' per se is something we won't see in a full scale for the next 10 years, maybe 5 being too nice to the current market... but frankly speaking, I can't conceive that kind of simulation level with nowadays hardware... waaaaaay too much changes needs to be done to our current 'PC' architecture for it to become a viable platform for gaming at that level.

on the current gaming level, hmmm... too much 'realism' usually ruins the gaming experience. Crysis or Crysis Warhead, for example, are examples of quite impressive visuals but... at what price? it can barely named a 'game'...

of course, others may differ in opinion, this is mine :P

Julio

LydianKnight
12-23-09, 06:39 PM
It's never going to be 100% realistic unless you actually start dying in real life.

I guess you're talking about VR, but VR is not conceivable unless projects like BrainGate evolves to the point of conforming a full-scale neural processor, but you would need both an adequate set of hardware devices plus an implant... not feasible in our current kind of society but... if and only if that came into place, you can take for granted it would have safety measures for any kind of simulation not to exceed some form of stimuli threshold for your neurons and nerves not to melt in an massive electrical discharge...

but this is talking about nothing real, so... let's just keep this as 'vaportalk' :P

LT.Schaffer
12-24-09, 12:45 AM
No its not, not even close.

It is being used to train Armed Forces Around the world so it has to be VERY realistic

But remember you are talking about the Civilian version of the game so it does not offer all the Features that the Military Version Does.

|MaguS|
12-24-09, 07:08 AM
It is being used to train Armed Forces Around the world so it has to be VERY realistic

But remember you are talking about the Civilian version of the game so it does not offer all the Features that the Military Version Does.

Your talking about VBS which is nothing like Amra at all. Amra 2 is only realistic with maybe the content and some military functions but when it comes down to gameplay it falls far from realism.

DiscipleDOC
12-24-09, 08:46 AM

LOL

LT.Schaffer
12-24-09, 01:28 PM
Your talking about VBS which is nothing like Amra at all. Amra 2 is only realistic with maybe the content and some military functions but when it comes down to gameplay it falls far from realism.

that's why i said "Civilian Version"

Since your Experience can only be based on the Civilian Version you are not seeing the other Elements that are used in the VBS version[like after action reports,checkpoint guarding,etc.]

All the boring stuff that we as gamers would not want to play in a game Scenerio.

|MaguS|
12-24-09, 10:50 PM
that's why i said "Civilian Version"

Since your Experience can only be based on the Civilian Version you are not seeing the other Elements that are used in the VBS version[like after action reports,checkpoint guarding,etc.]

All the boring stuff that we as gamers would not want to play in a game Scenerio.

Yes VBS is very realistic but that doesn't change the fact that Arma 2 isn't that realistic. I don't even know why you brought up VBS to begin with. It's not a game...

ATi
12-24-09, 11:56 PM
Yes VBS is very realistic but that doesn't change the fact that Arma 2 isn't that realistic. I don't even know why you brought up VBS to begin with. It's not a game...arma2 is the most realistic game out:captnkill:

Armed_Baboon
12-25-09, 05:11 AM

Because everyone runs with their left index finger in the military.

LT.Schaffer
12-25-09, 11:28 AM
I was just stating that the "Military Version" of the Software[not the ArmA II game you've played] has to have "some" realistic features because it is used to train different armed forces.

My point is that the ArmA 2 game that you&I play is very realistic[not totally real]
Because if it was completely realistic it would not be a game. [since games are supposed to be fun]

Anyway i was just stating my opinion on ArmA II.

Your entitled to yours as am i so i will leave it at that.

Amaury
12-25-09, 11:42 AM
Is your question about graphics, physics, AI, etc or all the above? It depends on the game. Simulation games should try to stick with realism. Every other game should have lots of artistic license. Bioshock is a perfect example. We play videogames to escape the sometimes boring reality of life so we don't want the same real life graphics in these games. Storytelling/writing + AI + gameplay changing physics (nvidia's physX don't affect gameplay like current software based physics engines) have to get better. Lots of these new games are becoming like big budget Hollywood action/sci-fi movies with predictable plots in which you care more about the special effects than the story and characters.