PDA

View Full Version : Run game off networked DVD drive?

ragejg
12-24-09, 08:34 AM
I have a Memorex DVD/RW drive that #1 I can't find a firmware update for, and #2 it won't read certain games, regardless of what type of drive controller is using it.

In my desk PC it's had a good run.. until this morning when I popped Tiger Woods '07 in to install.

Nope. No go.

So I set up the media pc to share its DVD RW drive and installed the game on the desk PC from there.

Problem is, when I go to start the game, it looks for the CD in the usual spots, and doesn't see the mapped/shared DVD drive that I installed the game from.

Do I need to change an INI file or something? Can someone help point me in the right direction

bob saget
12-24-09, 03:22 PM
I have done this before with quake 4, but can't remember how i did it. They used a copy-protection thing that wouldn't work with the laptop I was playing the game on. Good luck, but you definitely can do it.

Quick420
12-24-09, 04:17 PM
Grab an LG drive such as this one,the are cheap and hugely compatable.....well I was gonna post a link but depends on where ya live.This is the latest one I purchased for a business network.Works like a charm http://www.lge.com/us/computer-products/optical-media/LG-internal-dvd-burner-GH22LP20.jsp