PDA

View Full Version : Setting up L4D2 server?

ATOJAR
12-25-09, 12:27 PM
Guys i know this maybe a total noob question to some of you but i cant for the life of me figure this out!

How do i set up a server on L4D2 so that i can invite people from my friends list but also random players can join? :o

Rummy
12-25-09, 02:23 PM
Did you download the Left 4 Dead 2 server, it's in tools on Steam

ATOJAR
12-26-09, 05:09 AM
Hmm no i hadnt, Now i have. :D

Cheers.

General Lee
12-26-09, 08:20 AM
I thought you could already do that without having to download anything. Can't you just host a Local Server in the game lobby settings? What's the difference between that and the server download?

grey_1
12-26-09, 11:50 AM
I thought you could already do that without having to download anything. Can't you just host a Local Server in the game lobby settings? What's the difference between that and the server download?

That's all I can think of after reading the OP.

Bigbuck
12-26-09, 06:22 PM
Downloading the server via Steam or using SCRDS would be for setting up a dedicated server. Hosting the game through the client copy would be setting up a local server.

snowmanwithahat
12-26-09, 09:56 PM
Yeh. It depends on what you mean.

Are you talking in terms of a local-server, where your machine you're playing on is hosting? that's easy...

Dedicated server is completely different. I'd recommend using HLDS Update tool to instlal the server files, and then follow an online guide for actually setting up the server.cfg file.

The major benefits to teh dedicated server (if its on another machine) is that it won't impact your performance, it will always be up, and doing it with the HLDS update tool to get the files means you won't need to have steam running to update the game... which means no logging in to start the server. This is particularly nice since it's a no-steam solution.

snowmanwithahat
12-27-09, 03:00 AM
I JUST set one up tonight.... so if you have any questions its very fresh in my mind. Of course I'm still working out alot of the details but its not too hard to setup at all.

ATOJAR
12-27-09, 06:37 AM
Well i found a very simple way of hosting a server, Wasnt really to botherd about it being dedicated. Its just so me and afew mates can play together sometimes.

Heres what i did.

Choose gametype > play online > More search options > Create a game lobby.

This is public but it is also possible to kick players from the lobby incase a mate wants to join.

:D

snowmanwithahat
12-27-09, 12:38 PM
Yeh. Setting up a local server is quite easy and more than likely what you'll always want to do unless in a situation like me.

My internet connection at my apartment sucks 2m/1m .... usually dropping to .5/1m under full load... The one at my parents house is great though 16m/2m. So I ended up setting up the dedicated server on their connection so that I can use it and always have a low-ping server to go to when hosting games. It just wasn't working out with me hosting it locally