PDA

View Full Version : Gamespot's game of the year is...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sammy sung
12-25-09, 08:24 PM
Somewhat surprising :)

http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/game-of-the-year/index.html

|MaguS|
12-25-09, 08:55 PM
Wow interesting pick. I love the game but GOTY?

Muppet
12-25-09, 09:20 PM
I have never even heard of it. Is it a console only game?

Yaboze
12-25-09, 09:25 PM
It's a PS3 only game. I'm quite surprised it's GOTY.

Albo
12-25-09, 09:36 PM
I have never even heard of it. Is it a console only game?

Same, I think there is a demo out for the PS3, but I might be mistaken.

|MaguS|
12-25-09, 09:42 PM
Same, I think there is a demo out for the PS3, but I might be mistaken.

Nope, no demo.

Bah!
12-25-09, 09:51 PM
It's surprising that a major site picked it as GotY, but it doesn't surprise me at all. I've been saying it's GotY for a while now, and even having played through the holiday titles I still believe it's not only the best game released this year, but the best action role-player of all time.

I'm glad Gamespot stepped up and gave this game the recognition it deserves instead of going with the typical meme picks that every other site will choose.

sammy sung
12-25-09, 09:58 PM
It's surprising that a major site picked it as GotY, but it doesn't surprise me at all. I've been saying it's GotY for a while now, and even having played through the holiday titles I still believe it's not only the best game released this year, but the best action role-player of all time.

I'm glad Gamespot stepped up and gave this game the recognition it deserves instead of going with the typical meme picks that every other site will choose.

Yea,eventhough i haven't played it i think Gamespot showed some balls picking it as goty,my hat's of to them for not going the easy route and picking something more mainstream/high profile.

Mr. Hunt
12-25-09, 10:22 PM
Wow... never expected it to get this much praise... I love the game and can't wait for a sequel... expected it to be either Uncharted 2 or MW2... definitely not Demon's Souls lol.

Sazar
12-25-09, 11:23 PM
I like the conversation they have about the game :)

I am almost intrigued to buy this bastard, except I already have so many other games to play :(

Ghosthunter
12-26-09, 12:38 AM
i think it should have been uncharted 2..that has to be the best game i ever played but what do I know

1337_Like_ThaT
12-26-09, 02:41 AM
Heh...I've never played Demon's Soul so I cannot criticize their decision for GOTY....just as long as COD MW 2 didnt' pick that up

and I'm glad to see that L4D2 didnt make the list as it was nominated for GOTY at the VGA's even before its release

jeffmd
12-26-09, 03:11 AM
Demon souls.....hooooleeeeey ****!

these guys have seriously never played an mmo? "oh hey, I got summoned and took pot shots at this giant, neither one of us knew wtf we were doing..but we killed it some how! Then I got kicked back to my world, no loot, and like he sent me a tell GG!" vs "me and 24 other of my close friends (or they could be complete nobodies) just ran through this epic dungion in icecrown, dude this boss with this BAD ASS axe just wails on us! We quickly put together a stratagy to follow, beat him, and got phat lewts!"

I like how they didn't cover gameplay, cause its crap. story? haha!

Bah!
12-26-09, 03:21 AM
Demon's Souls, seriously? Poor choice, imho. I like the game, and I'm a PS3 fanboy, but it's not GoTY.

Uncharted 2 is better is so many aspects. Better story, better graphics, better "flow", more appealing to a higher number of gamers (it takes a special kind of gamer to squeeze real enjoyment out of Demon's Souls), better....hell, Uncharted 2 is probably better than Demon's Souls in nearly every way.

Demon's Souls is a better choice than Modern Warfare 2 though.

As a huge fan of the Uncharted series I can't agree with most of this statement. Uncharted 2 is definitely better looking, but beyond that I don't see anything it has over Demon's Souls that would make it GotY.

IMO "mass appeal" is exactly why Demon's Souls won't get more GotY awards, but I don't think that should have any bearing on the decision. Today's average gamer is used to dumbed down easy game play, and that so called "special" gamer of today would have just been any old gamer 10 or 15 years ago. The fact that the game isn't mass appeal is one of it's most redeeming qualities.

Demon's Souls is a throwback to when games were actually difficult. It's also one of the few games in recent years that makes your pulse race and gives you that sense of accomplishment when you finally pass that boss or area that was kicking your ass before. Never once did i feel that sense of accomplishment, get sweaty palms, yell or cheer at the television after an amazing battle, get an adrenaline rush, etc. from Uncharted 2 like I did with Demon's Souls.

Uncharted 2 is no doubt a great game, but it's one of those soon forgotten games where six months down the road when someone asks about it all you can tell them is, "it's great" or has "amazing graphics". Demon's Souls is the kind of game that brings back memories of playing it every time you hear the name, and that's the true measure of a great game IMO.

Bah!
12-26-09, 03:24 AM
Demon souls.....hooooleeeeey ****!

these guys have seriously never played an mmo? "oh hey, I got summoned and took pot shots at this giant, neither one of us knew wtf we were doing..but we killed it some how! Then I got kicked back to my world, no loot, and like he sent me a tell GG!" vs "me and 24 other of my close friends (or they could be complete nobodies) just ran through this epic dungion in icecrown, dude this boss with this BAD ASS axe just wails on us! We quickly put together a stratagy to follow, beat him, and got phat lewts!"

I like how they didn't cover gameplay, cause its crap. story? haha!

Lol, you again with comparing single player games to MMOs. And are you seriously saying that WoW should be GotY?

Get over it already.

Lfctony
12-26-09, 07:35 AM
Poor choice IMHO. Demon's Souls is decent, but far from GOTY... Dragon Age is better, Uncharted 2 is better, AC2 is better. And I'm talking mere enjoyment here. Not type etc. As a whole...

All I can think of when going back to the "great" times of Demon's Souls is annoying... That's its biggest characteristic. I think "amazing" about U2, "amazing" about AC2, "epic" for DA. "Annoying" for Demon's Souls...

NarcissistZero
12-26-09, 08:18 AM
Never played it, can't really comment. When I get my PS3 back I will grab it and see then, but personally I would be surprised if I like it THAT much. The kind of RPGs I like is just not the kind of RPG Demon's Souls is, from what I know about it.

I also thought Killzone 2 was very overrated, there were probably 10 FPS games I would put on that list before Killzone 2.

These GotY awards really mean nothing, it is just the opinion of one small group or even one person.

ViN86
12-26-09, 08:58 AM
Great game. GOTY material? Probably not. But hell, I have 40+ hours in it and I am still playing it :lol:

ralinn
12-26-09, 02:08 PM
It's only an opinion O.o

My personal GOTY would be either UC2 or Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Sorry, I'm a sucker for 2D games also). :)

MowTin
12-27-09, 12:06 AM

I am almost intrigued to buy this bastard, except I already have so many other games to play :(

Same here. After that review I'm interested in it but I still have games to finish.

ViN86
12-27-09, 01:23 AM

Do it, it's an AWESOME game. I have a second character that is only about a level 32. Let me know if you get it, I will play some co-op with you.

NaitoSan
12-27-09, 03:19 AM
Heh, that's interesting. I got Demon's Soul for Christmas. Hooray. Now I have to wait one more week until I get home where PS3 is at so I can play... before school starts again.

crainger
01-05-10, 12:57 AM
It's not even out in AU? ::(:

CaptnStubing
01-05-10, 10:08 PM

Rent it. I'm gonna rent it just from the small review in this thread. I saw this game on the shelves but never payed attention to it. I love stumbling upon good games like this.

Mr. Hunt
01-05-10, 10:23 PM
Rent it. I'm gonna rent it just from the small review in this thread. I saw this game on the shelves but never payed attention to it. I love stumbling upon good games like this.

Rent it, but only while you are waiting for your bought copy to ship. The game is very good and if you are a completionist it will take you a good long while.