PDA

View Full Version : MSI's GeForce FX 5900 Ultra

Pages : [1] 2

DSC
07-03-03, 11:44 AM
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=477&MODEL=MS-8929

http://www.msi.com.tw/images/product_img/vga_img/8929U256.jpg

:D

DSC
07-03-03, 12:26 PM
The previous MSI cards we've seen were all the 5900 with 128MB DDR RAM. This is the 5900 Ultra with 256MB DDR RAM. The 128MB cards a missing RAM chips at the back as well as the heatsink.

Badash
07-03-03, 12:30 PM
That is a mistake on MSI's site a lot of companies are putting pics of the 5900 non ultra on their 5900Ultra page

Cyberz
07-14-03, 04:11 PM
whats the differnce on non ultra and Ultra? besides 256mb ?

bkswaney
07-14-03, 04:20 PM
So does the Ultra use the Nvidia Ref cooler?
Or does it use this one? :confused:

Ruined
07-14-03, 06:32 PM
It's not a mistake, according to the MSI site it has the Twin Flow technology, which is the fan pictured above. MSI is just the first company to deviate from the reference cooler. And let me tell you, I have the MSI FX5900 which has the same two fans, and it is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH quieter and less irritating than the reference turbine, especially if your computer is close to where you sit. When this comes out, it will be the one to get, though I could see it being $550+, as the nonultra FX5900 128mb MSI is currently going for $420!

jAkUp
07-14-03, 06:38 PM
we have both the msi's 5900 ultra and non ultra's in stock at work. the ultra has the refrence design, the non ultra has that shiny copper.

Shaitan
07-14-03, 07:10 PM
I have decided on this card

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=477&MODEL=MS-8929

I like the idea of the 256 megs AND the active cooling on both sides of the card. Now if I could only find a damn retailer in Canada or my city that is carrying or will carry this MSI beauty. I can`t believe how slow the PC stores here in Edmonton are.
All I see are the 128 meg versions. aarrrggghhh

jAkUp
07-14-03, 07:13 PM
once again, msi is not shipping the ultra version with the twin cooling solution, that is only for the non ultra. at least all the versions we have at work are like this.

Ruined
07-14-03, 07:21 PM
Well what are they shipping with the extra memory sink? A 256mb 5900? The FX5900 128mb does not have the extra heatsink on the back of the card has pictued above, only a fan.

ricercar
07-14-03, 08:01 PM
Like the 5800 Ultra, ALL 5900 Ultras are made by NVIDIA, and ALL 5900 Ultras have the reference cooler, even the MSI:

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/msi_geforce_fx5900u_vtd256_review/default.asp

surfhurleydude
07-14-03, 08:08 PM
MSI has released a special edition GeForce FX 5900 Ultra in the nBOX that comes with the special cooling unit...It's been reviewed and you can buy it as well.

scott123
07-14-03, 09:42 PM
I concur: Everything I've read says ALL 5900 Ultra's will be made by Nvidia and have the reference cooler.

Strait from Firingsquad
As we mentioned in our e-GeForce FX 5900 Ultra review, NVIDIA is handling all board production for the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. This means that regardless of the manufacturer you choose, youíre getting the exact same GeForce FX 5900 Ultra card. As a result, MSIís FX5900U-VTD256 looks virtually identical to the eVGA card, and every other GeForce FX 5900 Ultra card on the market for that matter. The only physical difference lies in the sticker on the FX 5900 Ultra fan. As you can see, MSI adorns their FX5900U-VTD256 fan with the company logo, no real surprise here.

Cyberz
07-14-03, 11:08 PM
but whats is the difference???????????????????

is the Ultra card faster??? if so..how much

saturnotaku
07-14-03, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Cyberz
but whats is the difference???????????????????

is the Ultra card faster??? if so..how much

This is where checking the nV News front page and archives will do you good, grasshopper. Google also is your friend to search for reviews so you can learn for yourself just how this card (and others of similar design) stacks up.

Cyberz
07-14-03, 11:22 PM
lol

stop being a smart guy

saturnotaku
07-14-03, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Cyberz
lol

stop being a smart guy

I'm dead serious. MUYA and crew have been walking, talking, breathing, news posting demi-gods. Take a few minutes and browse through the news archives and you'll be able to find just about anything you want, far more than any of us could list here.

The Baron
07-14-03, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I'm dead serious. MUYA and crew have been walking, talking, breathing, news posting demi-gods. Take a few minutes and browse through the news archives and you'll be able to find just about anything you want, far more than any of us could list here.
No, that's just MUYA ;)

saturnotaku
07-14-03, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
No, that's just MUYA ;)

LOL my original post was only going to mention MUYA but I didn't want to offend anybody else. :D

Shaitan
07-15-03, 06:08 PM
"once again, msi is not shipping the ultra version with the twin cooling solution, that is only for the non ultra. at least all the versions we have at work are like this."

then let me be the 1st to say that ****ing blows... dudes.; ;0(................ I saw pics of the Ultra 5900 ref. card of MSIs. WTF would they NOT add the extra cooling solution? Well, in any case, I`ll add it myself if I have to. Wanks.

BladeRunner
07-15-03, 07:47 PM
I think initially all the 5900U cards will be the basic Green reference design as nvidia are making, (or having made for them) all the PCBs / cards. This may change later on as makers take over with there own manufacturing. MSI, Asus, Gainward etc will most likely want to add their own custom cooling & PCB colours etc.

Its hard to tell from those MSI images but the backside ram cooler at least looks like copper plated Alu, (as it was on the 5800U reference). It may look nicer to some than the reference 5900 U cooler, but I don't like the MSI having what looks like a one piece front side cooler, no 3D card I've had so far has really done a one piece heatsink solution successfully yet, (as far as I'm concerned at least). The cooler on the reference 5900U is actually a very good design, (function and application wise if nothing more), with separate front side Ram & GPU sinks, ensuring both contact the chips well. The fan while not quiet as such, is far less annoying to my ears that the high pitched whine of a typical 3D card fan, Radeon 9xxx/Ti4600 for example, at least in 2D.

surfhurleydude
07-15-03, 09:29 PM
You all need to do some research on the nBOX as I said before, but nobody listens to me. YES you can purchase the MSI ultra with 256 MB RAM and 2 fan cooling system in the nBOX...Hell, there has even been a review of it. Here it is:

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/articles.hwz?cid=3&aid=794

You're welcome.

scott123
07-15-03, 10:18 PM
No, no, no...ThankYOU

That site is too slow to wait for it to load. So far what your stating is vaporware. Give a link where a NON REFERENCE Ultra can be purchased.

Scott

Ruined
07-15-03, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by scott123
No, no, no...ThankYOU

That site is too slow to wait for it to load. So far what your stating is vaporware. Give a link where a NON REFERENCE Ultra can be purchased.

Scott

That review he posted has pictures of the NBOX and the 256mb 5900 Ultra in it with the MSI twin cooling. Don't see why this isn't a possibility, especially when its also posted on Nvidia's site, and there is *no* MSI FX5900 card currently even announced that has the large memory heatsink both on the front and on the back, aside from the FX5900 Ultra on their site and in that review. Perhaps MSI ditched the reference cooling for their twin flow at the last minute, hence early reviewers got the reference card?

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/articles.hwz?cid=3&aid=794&page=3

"The MSI FX5900Ultra-VTD256 was neatly packed within the NBox N5900 ULTRA, and it is currently the most powerful gaming card that MSI has to offer... Initially, we were expecting a stock reference card, but as shown here, the MSI FX5900Ultra-VTD256 is definitely MSIís own design using their custom red PCB, massive slabs of copper heatsink styled like a Sunflower and an innovative cooling solution known as TWIN FLOW. The MSI TWIN FLOW solution is dual fan cooling solution with one mounted on the front while the other is seated directly opposite the GPU. This directly addresses the heat issue of the GPU since it is designed to keep the entire card cool from both sides of the card. For a long time, hardcore overclockers have experimented with backside cooling using different heatsink contraptions, but we've not seen a card with such a cooling mechanism (perhaps there are others we didn't know of)."

Ruined
07-15-03, 11:22 PM
One other thing, if a version of the MSI FX5900 Ultra has identical cooling to the MSI FX5900 non-ultra, shouldn't the non-ultra be able to run at ultra speeds (boosting core clock by 50mhz) without a hitch? Or are some NV35 cores inferior to other in terms of how high they can be clocked?