PDA

View Full Version : Best Bang for Buck Nvidia Card?

Pages : [1] 2

RobHague
07-03-03, 02:32 PM
Ive been out of the NVIDIA loop for about a month, and only really took notice of the 5900 (which i could *just* afford to buy). I previosuly 'upgraded' (I thought) to an ATI 9700PRO and i must say - At first it was great, but after a while i really do hate it and want back to NVIDIA. I want their wonderful Driver and support back. :) Trying ATI to see what all the fuss was about was good but they arent the cards for me. Im going to stay with old faithful :D.

Anyhow - what would be the best graphics card in terms of Bang for buck? Around 130 would be ideal. It has to be able to cope with GTA VC as well but thats about it really - i will most likley upgrade to a newer card when HL2/DOOM3 come out. :)

Ta for the suggestions.

bkswaney
07-03-03, 04:13 PM
How much is that in US?

The Ti4200 is still a great card for the $
They will OC to near 4600 speeds.

Now if u want a DX9 card u r going to pay a lot more for speed.
If u can find a regular 5800 for a killer price it would be good.
Just OC one to near ultra speeds. :)
But the ultra will hit 560/1100 no problem. ;)

The 5900's r way to high. The 5600 just does not have the speed I like.

Best of luck finding a good deal. Welcome back to the NV side.
Everything works right out of the box. ;)

prodikal
07-03-03, 04:59 PM
ive seen a good Asus 4200 go on ebay for 'round 70 bux pretty good value.

creedamd
07-03-03, 04:59 PM
well, you certainly don't want to downgrade, if you are looking for something slower than the 9700pro, just pick anything in the whole nvidia line besides the 5900ultra, get what you can afford. If you wanted THE bang for buck card you had it with the 9700pro, I think the 4200 is the only bang for buck card on the nvidia side even though its like getting into a volkswagon after driving a lambo. Good luck.

RobHague
07-03-03, 05:08 PM
Not in my case, i hated ATI's drivers and found myself having problems when running "out of the ordinary" OS's. The AIW (i had a 9700) also heated my PC system temp up A LOT :mad:. So i just basically ebayed it to get most of my money back - and salvage something from the first mistake ive ever made, going with ATI. SmartGART... what were they thinking? Also being told in RAGE3D by the cat team point blank that they are never going to support the OS i was interested in was just... well really annoying. Agghhh evil evil... anyway thats over and done with.

What i was thinking was 5600 Ultra or maybe a Ti4600 (Ti4800 most likley just for the 'token' agp8x support ;)). I was actually looking at Matrox based cards too but i cant seem to find anything that performs enough in games to meet my requirements (i was really hoping the P-series would be decent and play most games ok :()...

The main thing with the 5600 is that i get the "new" 5600 and not the old one. Not really sure how the hell im supposed to tell the difference though :confused:.

schuey74
07-03-03, 05:14 PM
I had all sorts of problems trying to get 9700pros to work on my computer but when the 9800pro came along, I tried it and not a hitch ever since. Why not sell your 9700 pro and and try a 9800 pro? Combining what you want to spend on a GF4 & what you could get for your 9700 pro, it should just about cover all the costs. I mean you've got about six months until ATI & Nvidia launch their next-gen cards and that's a long time without AF & AA!

If you're dead set on Nvidia then a 4200ti is the only logical choice because all their DX9 hardware is overpriced & underpowered. And this is coming from someone who only bought Nvidia for the past five to six years.

RobHague
07-03-03, 05:17 PM
I got the AIW 9700, i ended up getting just under 300 back for it.

Now i could get a 5900 for that price (Ive seen an MSI one for exactley 299) but id rather just get something more modest i think rather than going crazy :) ill have a look at the Ti4200's cos i could just get something to let me game for the time being and save up for something to play HL2 and Doom3 really well when that arrives. :)

GlowStick
07-03-03, 06:25 PM
Hm, this is an intresting probelm.

Just to let you know, EVga Geforce FX 5900 ultra comes overclocked at 500/450!!! thats right. The first bach didnt work out, but they fixed the problem with bios update and they offerd cross shipping to everyone who bought one. And they dont cost more (unless the reseller is price gouging) than other ones. Refrence desgin though, no fancy looking cooler........

Id say thats the best 5900Ultra you can buy....

You could allways try to play the 'waiting' game, but i get the feeling you will end up waiting along time heh.

digitalwanderer
07-03-03, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by RobHague
Also being told in RAGE3D by the cat team point blank that they are never going to support the OS i was interested in was just... well really annoying.
Which OS is that? I was talking with Terry this morning asking him about Linux support and the possibility of getting an informal beta group together for it and he told me that they're still working on their Linux drivers but they were planning to release a set in a week or two. (SHHHH! I think that's secret. ;) )

The Baron
07-03-03, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Which OS is that? I was talking with Terry this morning asking him about Linux support and the possibility of getting an informal beta group together for it and he told me that they're still working on their Linux drivers but they were planning to release a set in a week or two. (SHHHH! I think that's secret. ;) )
Thanks for telling me, now I'll have to actually download the Slack ISO... heh.

GlowStick
07-03-03, 08:05 PM

On ati's new site they have some linux drivers dated nov 2002.............

GlowStick
07-03-03, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Thanks for telling me, now I'll have to actually download the Slack ISO... heh.

Sweet, Slackware is the best!

The Baron
07-03-03, 08:15 PM
Sweet, Slackware is the best!
me and slack--together since 1995.

I kid you not. Floppy disks onto a machine running DOS... and then Loadlin... and JEEBUS that was weird.

IISquintsII
07-03-03, 08:20 PM
If this is just going to hold you over untill Doom3/HL2 then just get a cheap (thats pricewise you damn fanboys!) Geforce4 ti 4200. Remember HL2 comes out in SEPTEMBER!!!

Grrrpoop
07-03-03, 09:56 PM
id rather just get something more modest i think rather than going crazy :) ill have a look at the Ti4200's cos i could just get something to let me game for the time being and save up for something to play HL2 and Doom3 really well when that arrives. :)
Well.. komplett (http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=28777&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl) are doing the Gainward 128mb Ti4200 w/ 3.5ns mem for 88 exc P&P

Looking around other stores that's a pretty sweet deal, and having tested my dad's MSI 128mb Ti4200 in my own system, it's both reliable and plenty fast in UT2k3, BF1942, NOLF and others.

Not sure whether to do what you're doing and get a cheap card (for less than 100 the Ti4200 is THE best choice btw, ATI's cards sub-100 are kinda crappy) ..or.. splash out on a card that will excel now and be "ok-ish" when HL2 comes out.. :-\

The FX5600U, even the "new" model, doesn't seem to be worth the extra money judging from performance if you're planning on upgrading later anyway.

I saw some 9700 non-Pro's going to 147 at aria.co.uk when I was away in the US a coupla weeks back and decided to get one but decided to think it over for a day and when I went back to buy one they'd sold out - ARSE!! :(

Great price for a great (and now unavailable) card.

Anyway, yeah, Ti4200's are great :D

RobHague
07-04-03, 07:51 AM

Oh sorry, no it wasent linux. I was asking about the lacking support for Win2k3 Server, in terms of ATI drivers tend to make it rather unstable and also dont fully work (smartgart anyone?). As win2k3 support would only require a slight amount of tinkering, and as ive never been told that ATI didnt support Server OS's i assumed they would support it (like Matrox are doing, not sure about nvidia). Im not saying ill be running windows2003 as my workstation, but im building a server hopfully in a few months which will most likley be a game server as well as a file/print server (i want to experiement) and unfortunatley it means i cant go with ATI on that machine. Anyway i went back to mt GF4 IGP and all my problems are now gone under 2k3... :rolleyes: So it seems my issues were indeed ATI drivers.

Im also getting SuSE or Red Hat and i know ATI's linux drivers are pretty 'young' so...

Anyhow...

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=36865&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl

That seems pretty cheap, looks cool too. Im currentley considering how far i should strech the budget *just incase* it has to last me longer than i plan. :)

Geforce4ti4200
07-04-03, 08:21 AM
"If you're dead set on Nvidia then a 4200ti is the only logical choice because all their DX9 hardware is overpriced & underpowered. And this is coming from someone who only bought Nvidia for the past five to six years."

very true, the fx5200 I bought was like 2/3 the speed of my mx440 :eek:

anyway downgrading to a ti4200 isnt bad, just dont use fsaa. I downgraded from a ti4600 to ti4200 and did not notice any slowdown :)

Grrrpoop
07-04-03, 09:24 AM
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=36865&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl

That seems pretty cheap, looks cool too. Im currentley considering how far i should strech the budget *just incase* it has to last me longer than i plan. :)
hehe looks very cool imo :) price isn't too bad, only 20 or so over your original budget target.. you'll get better AA/AF perf and dx9 support, but raw perf isn't that much better than the 50~60 cheaper Ti4200 iirc..

I'm kinda shallow, that se><eh hsf design is almost making me want to stick with nVidia :o lol

Re: server OS, why not stick with Win2k..? SP4 just came out, I'm assuming it's currently stabler and has much better gfx card support from all parties than 2k3. Life at the bleeding edge of Os technology is..erm.. bloody..? :D I can understand your desire to play with new software tho, I'm currently dual booting all my boxes with linux and your comments on immature ATI drivers are valid. However I didn't even attempt to install the nVidia drivers yet as it's not quite straightforward after a cursory glance. Excesive Windows use has turned me into a goo-brained monk3h :(

Geforce4ti4200: your sig is kinda chubby, if you're gonna make it 2x+ as large as your average post at least wrap [ size=1 ] [ /size ] around it ;) remove the unnecessary spaces to make the code work.

GlowStick
07-04-03, 10:39 AM
If your gonna buy a 5600 Ultra make sure its the new core clocked at 400Mhz! You can take em even higher : D

Sazar
07-04-03, 11:10 AM
fyi...

smartgart can be uninstalled...

Geforce4ti4200
07-04-03, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by GlowStick
If your gonna buy a 5600 Ultra make sure its the new core clocked at 400Mhz! You can take em even higher : D

too bad its as fast as a ti4200 in raw speed, this makes me laugh. why spend $200+ on the fx5600u if no game uses DX9 when a ti4200 is as fast without fsaa anyway? and if you want fsaa, you wont be able to run a high res anyway, not 1600x1200 for sure.

john19055
07-05-03, 12:40 AM
I know the ATI driver are very stable in Windows XP ,never have had a problem even when playing old games like Quake 2 /Half life ,Blood II The Chosen,my TI4600 would'nt play quake 2 right maybe I did'nt have the right patch.In the Radeon 64DDR and Radeon 8500 them driver's had problems,but since the Catalyst drivers I have'nt a problem with my Radeon9800Pro no manter witch catalyst version I use,

Wester547
07-06-03, 10:58 PM
Well, you have a couple of options here.

For the best performance for 200$ and full direct-x8 compatiblity as the expense of Direct-X 9 compatiblity, you can pick up yourself the GeForce 4 Ti4600 128mb. For the best tradeoff of the DIrect-X 9 and 8 compatiblity for 200$ and mid range performance, you can pick up yourself the GeForce FX 5600 Ultra 128/256mb. For the biggest buck and just plain super fast all direct-x 9 state of the art graphics, get yourself the 256MB GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. That should help, or will it not? :confused:

Steppy
07-06-03, 11:28 PM
Oh sorry, no it wasent linux. I was asking about the lacking support for Win2k3 Server, in terms of ATI drivers tend to make it rather unstable and also dont fully work (smartgart anyone?). As win2k3 support would only require a slight amount of tinkering, and as ive never been told that ATI didnt support Server OS's i assumed they would support it (like Matrox are doing, not sure about nvidia). Im not saying ill be running windows2003 as my workstation, but im building a server hopfully in a few months which will most likley be a game server as well as a file/print server (i want to experiement) and unfortunatley it means i cant go with ATI on that machine. Anyway i went back to mt GF4 IGP and all my problems are now gone under 2k3... :rolleyes: So it seems my issues were indeed ATI drivers.

Im also getting SuSE or Red Hat and i know ATI's linux drivers are pretty 'young' so...

Anyhow...

That seems pretty cheap, looks cool too. Im currentley considering how far i should strech the budget *just incase* it has to last me longer than i plan. :) Wouldn't it have made more sense(and be cheaper) to keep the card until you actually HAD the machine and OS you were mad about not being supported and enjoyed games in the mean time at a higher level than what you will be and then just getting the new card you were planning on getting anyway for HL2/D3?

Gator
07-07-03, 07:42 AM
...what would be the best graphics card in terms of Bang for buck? Around 130 would be ideal. It has to be able to cope with GTA VC as well but thats about it really - i will most likley upgrade to a newer card when HL2/DOOM3 come out...

For you I'd say the GF4 TI4200, GF4TI4800, or GFFX5600. TI4200 should be able to overclock to TI4600 levels, with the TI4800se having an even better chance because it's really based on the TI4400 core ;). GFFX5600 is on par with most stock TI4200's though, so it might be a good choice if you wanna play some DX9 games later, even if it is limited. But honestly I suspect your CPU will be more of a factor for HL2/Doom3 anyway ;)