PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's Way of Ousting Steam

Kaguya
12-29-09, 09:47 AM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but in the past week (running Windows 7 64bit) I've had Windows pop-up asking me to send in 'suspicious' files to them for analysis. All of them have been from my Steam folder ;)

What better way to crush the competition than have everyone's operating system declare Steam a virus and quarantine it :p

DiscipleDOC
12-29-09, 09:49 AM
I haven't had that problem.

nV`andrew
12-29-09, 09:51 AM
Besides the occasional alert asking if I wish to allow Steam or Steam games to do certain things, I haven't had that. It did make me laugh though.

ViN86
12-29-09, 10:01 AM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but in the past week (running Windows 7 64bit) I've had Windows pop-up asking me to send in 'suspicious' files to them for analysis. All of them have been from my Steam folder ;)

What better way to crush the competition than have everyone's operating system declare Steam a virus and quarantine it :p

LOL nah, MSE has done the same for me and I have had to send a few files to MS to verify their legitimacy. Besides that, I haven't had any problems.

But it would be funny if that were the case :lol:

grey_1
12-29-09, 10:09 AM
LOL nah, MSE has done the same for me and I have had to send a few files to MS to verify their legitimacy. Besides that, I haven't had any problems.

But it would be funny if that were the case :lol:

Same here. It's asked twice so far. I decline :lol:

mailman2
12-29-09, 10:14 AM
You only get that if you are running Microsoft Essentials though.

grey_1
12-29-09, 10:15 AM
You only get that if you are running Microsoft Essentials though.

Afaik yes.

NarcissistZero
12-29-09, 10:36 AM
I have this happen everytime I buy an MP3 on Amazon, nut never Steam.

Stoneyguy
12-29-09, 10:37 AM
Yeah it's Microsoft Essentials that is asking for you to send in the info. I think it's asked me for just about every program I've installed thus far. So I don't think it has anything to do with Steam. You've probably just been installing alot of Steam games due to the recent sales. ;)

Kaguya
12-29-09, 11:24 AM
Yeah it's Microsoft Essentials that is asking for you to send in the info. I think it's asked me for just about every program I've installed thus far. So I don't think it has anything to do with Steam. You've probably just been installing alot of Steam games due to the recent sales. ;)

Could be :) I know they'll be marked as benign programs, but thought it was sort of funny anyway :p