PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new motherboard?

Bman
07-03-03, 03:28 PM
I currently am running on a Intel Pentium 3 Processor 1.1 GHZ
and Intel Celeron Processor ata 1.1 GHZ.
348 MB SDRAM
(going to buy a Radeon 9500)
40 Gig Harddrive.
Do I need to upgrade my to a pentium 4 and if so how do I do that? ( ie can I buy PC Chips M920 Pentium 4 P4 2GHz ATX mboard 2GB, 400MHz FSB W/SND or do I need to buy an entire new motherboard combo?)
OR
will I be able to run games like planetside or SWG with my current pentium 3/celeron AND a new RADEON 9500 i am going to buy?

SHould I buy Radeon 9500 AND new motherboard?
Or can I get away with JUST buying a RADEON 9500

Riptide
07-03-03, 03:37 PM
Whatever you do I would stay away from PC-Chips... I have heard pretty much nothing but bad about them.

Were I you, I'd go out and get an Abit IC-7 motherboard and a
Pentium 4 2.4C to go with it. And a couple sticks of DDR400, say Corsair if you can afford it. Then, if you have the money you'll want to get a new video card at that point.

Oh, and you'll also need a new power supply. Antec makes a nice 430W/480W model.

saturnotaku
07-03-03, 03:41 PM
The games you mention should run with your new video card. But you sure won't be able to play with any details or other eye candy enabled.

A new motherboard/CPU/memory bundle would do you a whole lot of good, but for the love of God, whatever you, don't under any circumstance buy that combo you suggested. That combo is total, utter and complete pants.

If you're on a tight budget, buy an nForce2, AthlonXP 2500+ and 512 mb of PC2700 DDR memory. This total combo should set you back around $350 or less. Then you should be able to utilize at least a little bit of the excellent FSAA and anisotropic filtering qualities of the 9500.

Bman
07-03-03, 03:45 PM
you say they'll run but won't be that sexy? All I have money for is the Radeon 9500 which im getting for $ 134. How bad would the game look if i only upgraded the video card?
I'm not looking for the sexiest graphics out there, but I want to know if it will at least look decent and run without a lot of lag/slips/pauses.

The Baron
07-03-03, 03:46 PM
nForce 2--last time I checked, $120 at Newegg.

Barton 2500+ - $90.

512 megs of PC2700--$100 or so.

For $320 or so, you get a new box, basically.

Not a Bad Plan.

digitalwanderer
07-03-03, 04:13 PM
I replied to your other thread with this question....

PsychoSy
07-03-03, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
Whatever you do I would stay away from PC-Chips... I have heard pretty much nothing but bad about them.

PC-Chips, known more today by their Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS) moniker, is far a cry from what the shoddy quality they used to be. According to DigiTimes, ECS is a first-tier motherboard maker now (they're in the top 3 in terms of units sold and/or shipped) and they got that way by doing things right while still cutting corners. Granted, there are some inconsistancies with their business model, like the fact that ECS's "PC-Chips" line of motherboards comes with a 1-year Warranty and does offer RMAs to end-users while a defacto ECS motherboard doesn't (they'll only listen to approved suppliers/resellers).

But I see your point and agree with it - Don't Skimp On The Mobo! is rule #1 when it comes to DIY system building and if you spend almost nothing on a mainboard ($40-60)...well, you get what you pay for! :p

I would second your suggestion for the Abit IC-7, or a comparable motherboard from either Asus, Gigabyte, EPoX, or Chaintech. Granted, they cost usually double what ECS/PC-Chips offers...but again, you get what you pay for! :D