PDA

View Full Version : Best console game of the decade.

Pages : [1] 2

ralinn
01-01-10, 01:38 PM
Thought I'd make a console version of the thread too :)

Thoughts?

For me, I would say Shenmue.

methimpikehoses
01-01-10, 02:04 PM
KOTOR
Halo
Mercenaries
Wii Sports

nekrosoft13
01-01-10, 02:08 PM
Red Ring Adventure

Ruined
01-01-10, 02:09 PM
Some of my picks:
Beyond Good and Evil - Fantastic story, innovative spin on the action/adventure genre
Gears of War - Excellent story, wonderful cover combat, great online play.
Phantasy Star Online Eps 1&2 - One of the best online games ever, followed by the dreadful PSU.

|MaguS|
01-01-10, 02:26 PM
Pesona 4

crainger
01-01-10, 03:54 PM
KOTOR

and

God of War series.

NarcissistZero
01-01-10, 04:13 PM
I am assuming this means console exclusive to seperate it from the PC thread, otherwise my Deus Ex, Morrowind and Half-Life 2 picks would be identical here since they were all ported. Most of you seem to be listing games also on PC though, so I dunno.

For console exclusives I will say:

Final Fantasy X - Not sure I would like it as much now, but I loved the game when it came out. Very good turn-based battles that favored stategy more than most FF games and a lovely story with allusions to the Catholic church and religous violence in general.

The Darkness - Lovely FPS from Starbreeze that is as good as Riddick, shame it got middle-ground reviews. I would love a PC port since playing FPS games on a console makes me hurt inside.

Mercenaries - The original Mercs was amazing. Too bad the sequel sucked, and too bad it never got a PC port.

I'm having a hard time thinking of more games never released on PC that I liked enough to be in a best of the decade list. FF12 was ok but not amazing, Uncharted was good and Uncharted 2 is probably great too but they're both sort of quickie thrill rides, not really unique or amazing in anyway past being a great 6 hours.

ralinn
01-01-10, 09:05 PM
I am assuming this means console exclusive to seperate it from the PC thread, otherwise my Deus Ex, Morrowind and Half-Life 2 picks would be identical here since they were all ported. Most of you seem to be listing games also on PC though, so I dunno.

For console exclusives I will say:

Final Fantasy X - Not sure I would like it as much now, but I loved the game when it came out. Very good turn-based battles that favored stategy more than most FF games and a lovely story with allusions to the Catholic church and religous violence in general.

The Darkness - Lovely FPS from Starbreeze that is as good as Riddick, shame it got middle-ground reviews. I would love a PC port since playing FPS games on a console makes me hurt inside.

Mercenaries - The original Mercs was amazing. Too bad the sequel sucked, and too bad it never got a PC port.

I'm having a hard time thinking of more games never released on PC that I liked enough to be in a best of the decade list. FF12 was ok but not amazing, Uncharted was good and Uncharted 2 is probably great too but they're both sort of quickie thrill rides, not really unique or amazing in anyway past being a great 6 hours.

The Darkness? Really? I thought I was the only one that enjoyed that so much. Really well made game IMO, awesome music and characters too. :)

I missed FFX when it was first released but I heard so many good things about its story that I went back to it. I really couldn't get into it though :( shame, I really liked the art style and apart from the sphere grid crap I really liked the battle system as well. I really couldn't relate to the characters though, most were dull and Tidus just annoyed me!

Pesona 4
Urk! I missed that! Another game added to my list of stuff to go back to!

Dragon Age (PC), ICO (Revisit) and Zelda: Spirit Tracks are at the top of my list at the moment. Cripes, I have too much to play!

|MaguS|
01-01-10, 09:20 PM
I love Final Fantasy X, Probably my favorite once since the SNES days and I must say Persona 4 > Final Fantasy X.

ralinn
01-01-10, 09:29 PM
I love Final Fantasy X, Probably my favorite once since the SNES days and I must say Persona 4 > Final Fantasy X.

Yeah, one thing I do love about Final Fantasy is that there seems to be one for everyone. :)

Well, it would be nice if they could make all of them amazing but considering they like to make a different story and battles system for each, I doubt that could ever happn :D

My Final Fantasy would be VII at the moment. It had the perfect system for pretty much everything for me! Easy to get the hang of yet held an incredible amount of depth and fun for something so simple. I loved the whole style and atmosphere of the game too. It seemed to be a lot darker and gritty which suited it perfectly!

It quite surprised me that I couldn't get into the story of FFX, as both X and VII share the same writter.

Tygerwoody
01-01-10, 09:33 PM
PixelJunk Monsters

/thread

Mr. Hunt
01-01-10, 09:41 PM
PixelJunk Monsters

/thread

Was that even a 2009 title? And beside that fact... PixelJunk Shooter >>>>>>>>>>>> PJ Eden >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PJ Monsters.

Viral
01-01-10, 10:00 PM
The game I probably spent the most time on and enjoyed that time would be Final Fantasy X. I actually also liked XII a lot and was rather fond of the battle system but I think I'm alone there :(

God of War series is definitely up there, as well as Gears of War.

Gran Tourismo 4 was also a favourite :)

MowTin
01-02-10, 12:52 AM
GTA 3. It was groundbreaking. It's hard to believe it was released in 2001.

(Grand Turismo 4 is also right up there)

Zelda_fan
01-02-10, 01:07 AM
Probably Mario Galaxy.

Tygerwoody
01-02-10, 01:10 AM
in all seriousness

Metal Gear Solid 4

NarcissistZero
01-02-10, 01:44 AM
The game I probably spent the most time on and enjoyed that time would be Final Fantasy X. I actually also liked XII a lot and was rather fond of the battle system but I think I'm alone there :(

I liked XII's battle system and the way the world map and such worked, my main problem with it was I felt the story lacked cohesion and pacing.

Lfctony
01-02-10, 03:19 AM
Final Fantasy VIII or X for me... Hated the XII combat system. Thank God they're using a more traditional system for XIII... (Similar to X-2 afaik)

Viral
01-02-10, 03:51 AM
It's meant to be a cross between the two. I don't understand why people hated it so much, for me I have to agree with NarcissistZero in saying it was the story that lacked. The world, art direction, combat system and everything else was fantastic IMO.

It just seems to me that most FF fans don't want drastic changes in the gameplay mechanics. I on the other hand think there is A LOT of room for improvement.

FearMeAll
01-02-10, 06:56 AM
BATMAN!!!! Ok I know many won't agree, but playing Arkham Asylum was one of the most enjoyable times I remember. I felt like Batman. My little brother watched me play and after I beat up 20 guys, I always would say "I'm Batman." It's a good game to play with somebody watching.

abcgamer
01-02-10, 10:36 AM
I will name some of my fav PS2 games. Most played are GT4 and F1 2006

I liked pop sands of time quite a lot when it was released :p(glad to know they are making sands of time pop again this year) Always wanted to play ICO but the game was gone when I came to know about it, no previous GT games as well :headexplode: Shadow of colossus was also impressive.

Ninjaman09
01-02-10, 09:58 PM
My list, in no particular order (console exclusives only):

Skies of Arcadia
Metroid Prime
Final Fantasy X (surprised to see so many votes for this, I didn't realize people liked it so much!)
God of War
Metal Gear Solid 3

I liked XII's battle system and the way the world map and such worked, my main problem with it was I felt the story lacked cohesion and pacing.
Agreed, the game's replayability really suffers from this. Otherwise it would have made my list, I really enjoyed FFXII.

Lfctony
01-02-10, 10:05 PM
It's meant to be a cross between the two. I don't understand why people hated it so much, for me I have to agree with NarcissistZero in saying it was the story that lacked. The world, art direction, combat system and everything else was fantastic IMO.

It just seems to me that most FF fans don't want drastic changes in the gameplay mechanics. I on the other hand think there is A LOT of room for improvement.

Personally, I hated it because it made the battles less strategic. I enjoyed FFX the most I can say because you could think for ages how to respond to something etc etc. The turn indicator also played a huge role in planning your strategy for your next move. In other games, its just a matter of inputting the command as fast as possible... And while it was fine with active ATB in other games, I think it was a mess with FFXII. Combined with a lacking story, it was enough for me to lose interest half way through. It was the first FF game (traditional that is...) I didn't finish since starting the series with FFVII...

MustangSVT
01-02-10, 10:41 PM
For me, it would be these games, in no particular order.

Gran Turismo 4

Rock Band 1

Guitar Hero 1

Project Gotham Racing 2

Halo 2 & Halo 3

Forza Motorsport 2

Devil May Cry

Tourist Trophy

Winning Eleven 7 (Pro Evolution Soccer 3 I believe)

If I had to pick a single one, it would be a tie between Gran Turismo 4 (PS2) and Project Gotham Racing 2. For me, the best console of the decade was PS2.

Shaysite
01-13-10, 12:57 AM
Devil May Cry 1.