PDA

View Full Version : CPU poll AMD Or Intel

Pages : [1] 2 3

Drolfrawd
01-01-10, 05:21 PM
Can we vote on who uses what either intel chips or amd.

Interested because i have a Q8200 which I don't like or want, and an E8400 which I do like , but want a decent quad core. considering selling both of them on ebay.

Not really interested in dual core chips so the poll will be just quads.

Thanks

Redeemed
01-01-10, 05:22 PM
We could vote if there were a poll...

POLL FAIL!

:bleh:

Drolfrawd
01-01-10, 05:25 PM
He he horse whisperer it's there now :wonder:

Redeemed
01-01-10, 05:31 PM
voted.

However, I must admit that if I were in the market now I'd go AMD.

Through work I was able to get an i7 920 and Intel x58 mobo incredibly cheap otherwise I'd be rocking a Phenom II X4.

So to answer what you're after, if you can afford an LGA1366 setup go Intel- otherwise stick with AMD. ;)

Drolfrawd
01-01-10, 05:41 PM
I can't really afford it , hence the question deemed. Do the amd chips need ddr3 ?

Redeemed
01-01-10, 05:52 PM
I can't really afford it , hence the question deemed. Do the amd chips need ddr3 ?

That depends on the motherboard.

Every AM3 processor supports both DDR2 and DDR3. However, if you get a socket AM3 motherboard it'll be limited to DDR3. If you get a Socket AM2/AM2+ that supports AM3 procs then it'll use DDR2.

If you already have DDR2- keep it. Sell the Intel Quad and Dual Core plus your current mobo. That alone will be enough to get a good AM2 mobo with a nice AM3 PhenomII x4. Possibly even enough to get a good air cooler so you can oc that bad boy. :D

Drolfrawd
01-01-10, 05:54 PM
That depends on the motherboard.

Every AM3 processor supports both DDR2 and DDR3. However, if you get a socket AM3 motherboard it'll be limited to DDR3. If you get a Socket AM2/AM2+ that supports AM3 procs then it'll use DDR2.

If you already have DDR2- keep it. Sell the Intel Quad and Dual Core plus your current mobo. That alone will be enough to get a good AM2 mobo with a nice AM3 PhenomII x4. Possibly even enough to get a good air cooler so you can oc that bad boy. :D

decided, many thanks deemed.

Redeemed
01-01-10, 06:09 PM
decided, many thanks deemed.

Wow. Uh, you're welcome. :lol:

May I ask what you decided on?

Drolfrawd
01-01-10, 06:20 PM
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172684

maybe this one but there is a 3ghz model, but likely it is the same chip overclocked at the factory

I have ddr2 memory, (see sig)so as for the board i am open to suggestions as know nothing about AMD these days.

Redeemed
01-01-10, 06:23 PM
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172684

maybe this one but there is a 3ghz model, but likely it is the same chip overclocked at the factory

I have ddr2 memory, (see sig)so as for the board i am open to suggestions as know nothing about AMD these days.

Nice! You should be very satisfied. With a good cooler that should hit 4Ghz + rather easy. One thing about the Phenoms is they can handle *a lot* of voltage. An INSANE amount. :lol:

I'll see what I can recommend for a mobo once I get home tonight. :D

Drolfrawd
01-01-10, 06:28 PM
Nice! You should be very satisfied. With a good cooler that should hit 4Ghz + rather easy. One thing about the Phenoms is they can handle *a lot* of voltage. An INSANE amount. :lol:

I'll see what I can recommend for a mobo once I get home tonight. :D

Thank you
I am away to put up my listings on ebay for my components.

betterdan
01-01-10, 06:34 PM
I've got an Intel Q9550 and it's great. It sounds like the AMD PhenomII x4 955 and the Q9550 are pretty equal.

Drolfrawd
01-01-10, 07:58 PM
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-M4A78-E-AMD-790GX-S-AM2plus-PCI-E-20-DDR2-1300%28OC%29-SATA-3Gbps-SATA-RAID-ATX-On-Board-VGA#ProductFeatures

what about this board deemed, and is it overclockable , i mean really overclockable

Redeemed
01-01-10, 08:00 PM
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-M4A78-E-AMD-790GX-S-AM2plus-PCI-E-20-DDR2-1300%28OC%29-SATA-3Gbps-SATA-RAID-ATX-On-Board-VGA#ProductFeatures

what about this board deemed, and is it overclockable , i mean really overclockable

Ooohh... I'm not at home yet. But I do believe I used that board to build a rig for my best friend's son. Haven't used it for over clocking but they do a lot of gaming and love the system. I'll be home in about 10 minutes and I'll give you a bit better of an answer then. :D

Drolfrawd
01-01-10, 08:01 PM

What about this one deemed, can you tell if it's very overclockable, as i don't know how these
chipsets work in relation to intel setups

CaptNKILL
01-01-10, 08:18 PM
I love my Core 2 Quad. Overclocks so freaking well and runs fairly cool. My cores are running at 35-40C idle right now, with a 1.16Ghz overclock on air cooling. :thumbsup:

The next time I upgrade my CPU it will be for a totally new platform with PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbit.

nekrosoft13
01-01-10, 08:28 PM
what if you got both?

Drolfrawd
01-01-10, 08:37 PM
toooooo much money for me nekro

Redeemed
01-01-10, 08:47 PM
If over clocking is your thing, any 790 series chipset from AMD is what you're after. I believe the "FX" is the enthusiast version so that's be your best bet. I'm also a fan of ASUS- so I'd naturally recommend them as a manufacturer.

Also, nVidia's chipsets for AMD seem to be far better than they're Intel ones. You might consider an nVidia chipset as well, if SLi is something you're after. :)

As to that board you're looking at- it should be a decent oc'er. Not the best, don't expect to get any record shattering OC's- but it should allow you to get no lower than 3.6- I'd expect you could hit 4Ghz on it as well. Make sure you have solid RAM for oc'ing and a good HSF. Also, you'll want to OC the HT link as well- that really helps. :D

If you're after some good info for oc'ing AMD procs a great source would be AMDZone.com- though the site isn't nearly as active as it used to be so if you post a new topic they might take a bit to get back to you.

However, I know there are several members here sporting AMD rigs, I think Shamrock has a Phenom II as well as a few others- I'd create a new thread in the oc'ing section as you'll probably get better results there.

The last time I oc'd an AMD proc was with my FX-60 on my NF4 SLi x32 mobo (s939)... so it's been a while for me. Left my Phenom 9600 BE stock as it was plenty fast enough already. :lol:

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing your results. I'm hoping that by next Friday I'll be able to order some new parts for my rig- of which one item will be a good HSF for my i7. It'll be awesome to see how your chip at higher speeds compares to the i7. :D :naughty: :firedevil

Drolfrawd
01-01-10, 08:56 PM
Thanks very much deemed for all your efforts, you have helped me a lot and it is appreciated.
I have ebayed my stuff , so hopefully will get some decent prices. I will definately keep everyone posted with my feble efforts on the overclocking side of things.

Again thank you for your help.

Redeemed
01-01-10, 09:02 PM
NP buddy, and good luck. :D

lee63
01-01-10, 09:50 PM
Intel Xeon...and it rocks.

Shamrock
01-01-10, 10:41 PM
I'm rockin' a PhII 955 :D

Drolfrawd
01-02-10, 08:00 AM
Greta little thread mates, thanks

grey_1
01-02-10, 09:30 AM
Intel Xeon...and it rocks.

Holy cow Lee! I never looked at your sig before...you got a beast of a chip there!

EDIT: Still running an E8500 @ 3.8 here.