PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Neat stuff!


Riptide
07-03-03, 05:22 PM
Those of you who have been around since the "old days" might appreciate this. My very first disc drive, the ST-225 is showcased here. Man, those drives just ran forever...

http://www.redhill.net.au/d-a.html

Pafet
07-03-03, 05:48 PM
if that's "old days" than I am pre-historic

ragejg
07-03-03, 06:57 PM
21.4 mb... wow.. huge... :D

yeh, 1st pc I actively used had a 10mb HD (IBM AT 10mhz/EGA GFX... 20mb crashed and dad had to downgrade)... and my first pc I owned had a 40mb... gawd that system was fast for a 286 though... i miss the commander keen/jill of the jungle/wolf3d/scorched earth/dangerous dave/electrobody/jetfight days... :D

Riptide
07-03-03, 07:47 PM
Cool, you played jetflight!

I remember playing Wing Commander on my 8088/10MHz machine w/640K and an Orchid Prodesigner VGA card. Nice gfx at the time, but it was goddawful slow when I'd run into a big flight of Jalthi.

I always envied those guys with the 286s who could play WC smoothly. My next PC after the 8088 was a 486DX/33. Now THAT was one hell of an upgrade! :)

Phyre
07-03-03, 07:56 PM
Aahh, the joys of squeezing every bit of conventional memory you could.

Phyre

Riptide
07-03-03, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Phyre
Aahh, the joys of squeezing every bit of conventional memory you could.
Qemm386 is your best friend... ;)

Gator
07-03-03, 09:58 PM
yep, I remember those old Seagate drives, they were huge bulky heavy POS's. I can't beleive how much faster the drives today are.

I still have an old Tandy 20meg RLL hard drive in the attic attached to it's very own 8bit ISA controller card. Lord knows why I keep it, maybe it'll be worth something someday... maybe not... lol. :p

PsychoSy
07-03-03, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
Qemm386 is your best friend... ;)

I was partial to Memmaker myself...:p

UDawg
07-03-03, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
Cool, you played jetflight!

I remember playing Wing Commander on my 8088/10MHz machine w/640K and an Orchid Prodesigner VGA card. Nice gfx at the time, but it was goddawful slow when I'd run into a big flight of Jalthi.

I always envied those guys with the 286s who could play WC smoothly. My next PC after the 8088 was a 486DX/33. Now THAT was one hell of an upgrade! :)

Oh yeah Wing Commander was the best at that time. I had a 386 at that time and had big problems playing it.


QUEST FOR GLORY So you want to be a hero? (http://emulazione.multiplayer.it/stgraveyard/game_reviews/QuestGlory/QuestGlory.htm) This is still one of my all time favorite games.

when I got a 486DX and finally got a SVGA monitor I could play this bad boy.


SPACE QUEST 4 (http://www.egri.co.uk/sq4.html)


Ahhhh memories. I even miss King's Quest.

b00bie
07-03-03, 11:30 PM
heheh, Wing Commander... I remember I just got a new puter around that time and I couldn't stop playing that game :D

Riptide
07-04-03, 12:44 AM
Hey guys, check out this as well, from the same site.

http://www.redhill.net.au/c-1.html#z80

More cool old stuff! :)

stncttr908
07-04-03, 10:58 AM
I feel so young. My first computer was a P100. :)

UDawg
07-05-03, 09:20 PM
The first puter I ever got to play on was a TRS80. Gotta love Radio Shack. Then came along the Apple II then the IIE which most of us I'm sure got to play Oregon Trail at school if we were good. :D Still nothing beats the Comador 64 for games. I wore out many a joystick playing Track and Field and Joust. Ah the good ole days.

Riptide
07-05-03, 11:13 PM
Oregon Trail... a classique non?

I remember it well. Trying to cross the river with your wagon. Hunting for food. Fun stuff.

My first game was Star Flight, from EA/Binary Systems. That is one of the best games ever created, IMHO.

TECH_PC
07-06-03, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by stncttr908
I feel so young. My first computer was a P100. :)

Wow, I feel like an infant too. My first computer was a 486DX running 75 MHz, 8 MB of RAM, 500 MB HD, single speed cd-rom drive, Cirrus Logic PCI Video /w 1 MB VRAM, and standard 3.5 floppy drive, running Windows 3.1. Ah, the good old days :). I miss my Packard Bell.

The Baron
07-06-03, 10:33 PM
Amiga 1000.

yoladude
07-07-03, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
gawd that system was fast for a 286 though... i miss the commander keen/jill of the jungle/wolf3d/scorched earth/dangerous dave/electrobody/jetfight days... :D

scorched earth was awesome. if u do a search on aol's servers, u can still download it.