PDA

View Full Version : Why do parents think it's ok for their 9 year olds to play games like CSS?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Albo
01-02-10, 02:50 PM
I'm just wondering, why do you think so?
I was playing on a server today, and I guess it's because of the recent sales, but 70% of the server players were younger than 12?
So why?

Also, I was playing MW2 and these kids joined, and they were spectating on Search and Destroy, and when someone killed two people in a row, they would yell out "OH SH*T THEY GOT RAPED." Why?

Just... Why?

ATOJAR
01-02-10, 02:58 PM
The reason they act like this is simple, They are immature kids.

NarcissistZero
01-02-10, 03:22 PM
The reason they act like this is simple, They are immature kids.

Yup.

As for the parents, a lot of them are apathetic and don't care what their kids do. A lot of others just assume videogames are for kids and don't pay attention. The lack of parenting today is a real issue, but we keep forcing both parents to work and promoting casual sex which leads to single parents, so what the hell do we expect to happen.

Redeemed
01-02-10, 03:50 PM
I'll add to what ATOJAR stated-

They're parents aren't doing a very good job of parenting. They are allowing the children to see stuff on television that they shouldn't, the parents themselves are not the best examples, and in short- I blame the parents for not "parenting". I'd say that's one of the greatest problems in our society. People have children when they are unable to handle the responsibility. As such, the kids become indoctrinated by what they see on tv, hear in music, and play in video games. Popular actors, artists, etc influence the children and how these kids act.

The parents need to regulate what the children see, what they are exposed to. The parents needs to be good role models themselves. Being a parent is no easy task, one I'm intimidated to undertake my self. :o :(

Redeemed
01-02-10, 03:50 PM
Yup.

As for the parents, a lot of them are apathetic and don't care what their kids do. A lot of others just assume videogames are for kids and don't pay attention. The lack of parenting today is a real issue, but we keep forcing both parents to work and promoting casual sex which leads to single parents, so what the hell do we expect to happen.

+1

MowTin
01-02-10, 03:58 PM
Although technology changes, the basic elements of human life don't.

The males of the village are hunters are warriors. The children learn by playing hunting and warrior games.

From an evolutionary standpoint: we are killers. :)

HiCZoK4
01-02-10, 04:05 PM
I am playing a lot of everything I want since I am 7yo(blood was great game) ( :lol: ). And I am now a normal grown up 20yo person with normal\acceptable social behaviour. I don't killed anyone also I am not crazy or cruel for animals etc. I even have gf and I can feel real love and have sex too!!! And I don't belive for media to be Crazy\nerd factory. Its just overall parenting and DNA, gens etc. I believe that murderer, is born murderer+bad parenting could amplify its effects.

So I don't really believe in all that teories of people saying: "Gta made me to to it" or things like sex scenes(Like gta and Mass effect) are just laughable.

But still. I wouldnt be letting kids playing games like cs under 8-10yo. Maybe It was done properly parenting in my case becouse my Father was(still is sometimes if I have new interesting for him game) playing with me. He was always commenting and watching my whole playthroughts :D and we had a lot of fun making "gaming weekend" with a lot of coca-cola, sweets etc just having pure relaxating fun :)

Anyway my young cousins(Sons of uncle) are quite wrong... one is 5 and other one is 7.
Here comes the funny parts:
They both can easily beat me at some ps games since they have unlimited acces to all media and gaming platforms from born. They were quite well at pc and ps at 2yo !!!!!!
but the real deal now: The younger one once forgot himself and when saw me and my gf together watching movie in bed he said to his bro: "Look... are they gonna do redtube now!?" And they were making sexual jokes about it! And we were both clothed and just watching something. THIS IS PARENTING FAIL.

LT.Schaffer
01-02-10, 04:35 PM
The Kids want To be elite like the Idiots they have as role models nowadays:thumbdwn:

And when they play games where everyone is spamming that garbage then they think it's being cool to do the same:headexplode:

Plus the fact that as was already said the parents are not being Responsible/Good parents+Spending time with their kids..

The Multiplayer games have become "the NEW Babysitter/Playground"

nekrosoft13
01-02-10, 04:37 PM
I'll add to what ATOJAR stated-

They're parents aren't doing a very good job of parenting. They are allowing the children to see stuff on television that they shouldn't, the parents themselves are not the best examples, and in short- I blame the parents for not "parenting". I'd say that's one of the greatest problems in our society. People have children when they are unable to handle the responsibility. As such, the kids become indoctrinated by what they see on tv, hear in music, and play in video games. Popular actors, artists, etc influence the children and how these kids act.

another problem is that you can't parent them, it was easier before.

example our neighbors have a 10 year old kid, they can't parent him, because when they try kid calls 911 for abuse.

kids abuse the system that was put in place to keep them safe, these days alot of kids train their parents.

Sazar
01-02-10, 04:51 PM

example our neighbors have a 10 year old kid, they can't parent him, because when they try kid calls 911 for abuse.

kids abuse the system that was put in place to keep them safe, these days alot of kids train their parents.

They need to put that kid in boot camp.

If you don't instill discipline early, they go out of control.

I don't buy the concept of you can't discipline your child if they **** up. Yah, you don't bludgeon them with a club, but if you can't be firm, what's the point?

Redeemed
01-02-10, 04:55 PM

You've brought up a very good point- this is also a societal problem. Disciplining children has become a science now. Parents do not have the freedom to discipline their child as they feel is necessary because we are not aware of the psychological effects or whatever bull crap.

So many individual liberties and freedoms have been taken away. It's my child, I'll raise it up how I wish. If I want the child to know about God and Jesus, to respect the elderly and authority figures, and have a great work ethic while valuing giving more than receiving I sure as heck will. And don't ya'll dictate to me how I'm supposed to go about doing that.

If I don't want my 8 or 9 or 10 or 13 year old playing M rated games or watching R rated movies- they wont see it... at least not under my roof.

And if I find they're viewing such stuff at friends houses, there's grounding and other such things I can do to discourage them.

And if the brat decides I'm being abusive simply by not allowing him to play Leisure Suite Larry when he's only 9 years old and he calls the police. I'll look the office in the eye and tell him to take the kid to juvy. If I have to speak to the warden and pay for the trip I will. Kid wants to disobey the rules of *my* house, so be it. Live elsewhere.

So much politically correct bull crap now days. Can't hurt nobody's feelings, can't dent their pride- all this push for some utopia bull crap that can't ever happen.

Feelings are gonna' get hurt, pride is gonna' get stepped on. It's a fact of life.

/rant

Albo
01-02-10, 04:56 PM
I have a a cousin who has 2 kids, a 8 year old girl, and a 4 year old boy. Recently the girl got a nintendo DS, and the boy kept screaming and saying I want one too, so he got one.

When ever I go over their house all I see is the 4 year old playing with it, with his face 2 inches away from the screen. I decide to pinch his neck so he can aknowledge I'm there. And all he does it continue to play his game, and when I do that he moves is head away from me slowly but still playing his game (He doesn't want to take his eyes off of it.)
When the parents say no more, and take it from him. He has a tantrum and cries till he gets his toy back. Which isn't too long becuase the parents can't take his crying. I feel like the kid has 0 respect for his parents and that if he cries he will get anything.

What Nekro said is 1000% right. If parents try and use any form of punishment other than "timeout or grounded" they could get caught and the kids would be taken away.

Redeemed
01-02-10, 04:56 PM
They need to put that kid in boot camp.

If you don't instill discipline early, they go out of control.

I don't buy the concept of you can't discipline your child if they **** up. Yah, you don't bludgeon them with a club, but if you can't be firm, what's the point?
Sometimes a good bludgeoning is what they need though.

You think that kid wouldn't get smacked around in boot camp? Probably worse so than what he'd receive from a responsible and mature parent.

CaptnStubing
01-02-10, 04:57 PM
Although I don't let my son play these types of game I will say the maturity level of the "adults" playing is about the same as teh 12 year old.

Redeemed
01-02-10, 05:00 PM
I have a a cousin who has 2 kids, a 8 year old girl, and a 4 year old boy. Recently the girl got a nintendo DS, and the boy kept screaming and saying I want one too, so he got one.

When ever I go over their house all I see is the 4 year old playing with it, with his face 2 inches away from the screen. I decide to pinch his neck so he can aknowledge I'm there. And all he does it continue to play his game, and when I do that he moves is head away from me slowly but still playing his game (He doesn't want to take his eyes off of it.)
When the parents say no more, and take it from him. He has a tantrum and cries till he gets his toy back. Which isn't too long becuase the parents can't take his crying. I feel like the kid has 0 respect for his parents and that if he cries he will get anything.

This kid wouldn't last a minute in my family. My parents would have ended him. :lol: He needs a firm authority figure in his life. Somebody that ain't afraid to hurt his feelings or his pride. If it's time that boy put the game down, he needs to do it. The longer he cries and the more of a fit he throws- the longer he goes with out. And if he get's to wild, smack that bastard upside the head once. Enough to make it sting but no more. He throws a blow at you, let him. When he's worn himself out, firmly let him know "It's my turn now" and bust his back end till it stings for him to sit. Then let him sit there and think about it for a while.

As his attitude improves, reward him. Give him reason to behave accordingly. But when he acts out of line, we can't be afraid to instill a lil' pain- be it physical or otherwise. Discipline is meant to sting. ;)

What Nekro said is 1000% right. If parents try and use any form of punishment other than "timeout or grounded" they could get caught and the kids would be taken away.

This is a problem with society that needs changing. And it will be very difficult to accomplish. But it can be done.

Redeemed
01-02-10, 05:01 PM
Although I don't let my son play these types of game I will say the maturity level of the "adults" playing is about the same as teh 12 year old.

Agreed.

General Lee
01-02-10, 05:17 PM
I have only one thing to say...

BEAT YOUR KIDS!!!

:rofl

Nn5jlrxcpkI

Albo
01-02-10, 05:20 PM
:lol2:

General Lee
01-02-10, 05:23 PM
I changed the video to include more funny dialogue. ;)

Albo
01-02-10, 05:54 PM
OMG, that video was perfect, sums up EVERYTHING in this thread.

Bravo.

Sazar
01-02-10, 05:58 PM
Sometimes a good bludgeoning is what they need though.

You think that kid wouldn't get smacked around in boot camp? Probably worse so than what he'd receive from a responsible and mature parent.

Implication of boot-camp is basically a place where they are out of their comfort zone and can't make 9-1-1 calls like little punks.

Sazar
01-02-10, 06:03 PM
Russell Peters == awesome :bleh:

bob saget
01-02-10, 06:08 PM
Although technology changes, the basic elements of human life don't.

The males of the village are hunters are warriors. The children learn by playing hunting and warrior games.

From an evolutionary standpoint: we are killers. :)

Definitely not anymore, at least in western culture. Most people go to the store and buy our food. When was the last time you had to kill your own food for a consistent period of time?

bob saget
01-02-10, 06:10 PM

they are retarded parents. you can discipline perfectly well without ever hitting or striking a child.

Redeemed
01-02-10, 06:13 PM
they are retarded parents. you can discipline perfectly well without ever hitting or striking a child.

I call BS.

Not because I do not think what you said is possible- it is.

However, a good back hand can be very beneficial if done correctly. Is it done because you're mad at the kid, or is it done because you know what they're doing will lead to more trouble for them years later so you want to put an end to it right quick?

Motives behind actions have a great role in how effective the method of discipline is. Whether it be spankings or other forms of discipline- this fact is unavoidable.