PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PC)

Pages : [1] 2

Crow_Nest
01-02-10, 03:09 PM
Has anyone tried this out yet? Im surprised there isnt a thread about the PC port and the game has already been out for a while.

I just tried it and i must say its probably one of the worst star wars games ive ever played. Sure the force powers are cool, but the sluggish framerate, repetitive level design, and cheap graphics are really disappointing. For a PC port, im sure everyone is expecting higher res textures and better graphics, but no, the PC and console versions look exactly the same for this game. In fact i think the PC looks worse due to slow downs and sluggish framerate. There isnt any in-game graphics options as well. (Come on seriously? How lazy can the devs get? Seems like they intended to **** up this port from the start.) Instead the option to set the resolution is done in a launcher prior to running the game, and apart from resolution there isnt any other graphics settings.

Gameplay wise i'd say its OK. Not great, but OK. Its always fun to force grip stormtroopers and toss them around like a ragdoll, something which i always found interesting since JK2 and this has been faithfully recreated and further improved in this game. I also like the idea of upgrading your talents, combos and force powers in RPG style. Kinda like how you upgrade your powers in JA. But apart from the boss fights and the gameplay is very repetitive and uninspired.

All this is just my opinion of course, after the reviews ive read about the console versions, i was thrilled when i first heard this game was going to be ported to the PC together with all the DLC already included. Unfortunately its just another half-assed console port that is better off not being ported over to the PC.

|MaguS|
01-02-10, 03:14 PM
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=136361

NarcissistZero
01-02-10, 03:18 PM
The news thread was here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=136361. I think people just used that as a release thread since there was little excitement for the game.

I disagree with your statements on the port, the game stays locked at 30fps for me which is better than the console version did and with AA and AF forced it looks really good to me, one of the strong suits of the game IMO was the graphics and Star Wars look, which it nailed.

Here are some pics I did:

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/2042/fu1.jpg
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1307/fu2b.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/919/fu3.jpg
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3213/fu4c.jpg

As for gameplay it is just a normal hack n' slash game, nothing more. That genre is not too popular on PC which I am sure is one reason no one got excited for the port (and why I told people when it was not orginally released on PC that they shouldn't care).

NaitoSan
01-02-10, 07:22 PM
I enjoy this game so much because it's fun. The story is decent and graphics' excellent. A lot of sharp looking textures and still looks great on PC. Higher resolution makes it look better so some sort of enhancements aren't really needed. While game should be able to run in 60 fps but it's Asypr who didn't uncap it for PC. I think they rushed this port, making game look bad but game itself is great.

IMO, the developer did such a great job creating excellent Star Wars related game (better than half of Star Wars games). I like feeling being so badass with light saber. This isn't supposed to replace Jedi Knight games so I don't see what's a huge fuss about that. Jedi Knight is awesome but to be honest, even with new game that is like Jedi Knight it won't be the same. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

NarcissistZero
01-03-10, 01:08 AM
Yeah, I think people just hate on this game because it isn't Jedi Knight 3, but it was never supposed to be. It's a God of War style hack-em-up, if you like that genre get it, if you like Star Wars enough to play that genre and look at the pretty graphics, get it... if neither of those are true, pass.

Crow_Nest
01-03-10, 07:19 AM
Well i havent got too far into the game to comment on the story, but ive heard many say its awesome so i guess thats the only thing im rooting for now.

mailman2
01-03-10, 11:05 AM
It is an awesome game imo. I hate the people hung up on Jedi Knight that claim this is garbage just because it's not... Jedi... Knight. Or just like the idiots that keep saying FEAR 2 sucked and FEAR 1 was a lot better. I think our memories get clouded and we remember something being a lot better than it really was. Fear 1 was great at the time. Fear 2 was better at the time.

I wish that they'd remove the 30 FPS cap though, drives me nuts.

Crow_Nest
01-03-10, 11:53 AM
Alright after playing a bit more, things are starting to get more interesting. As far as the story goes, that betrayal cutscene was unexpected. :captnkill:

I wish that they'd remove the 30 FPS cap though, drives me nuts.

Yeah, even console ports like SF4 and RE5 had options allowing you to cap or uncap the framerate. Its annoying to know that im playing with the latest graphics card and can only get 30 FPS max in a game. Why do we buy graphics cards again?

HiCZoK4
01-03-10, 12:37 PM
Yep I agree.
First saw fear I said meeehhh... 1 was better. But I returned to it after Classic game room HD review and i have to Admit its great and much better actually having great fun.
Watch this reviews on Youtube. Its the only reviewer who actually talk about the game and enjoy em.

About Topic. Will play if they remove 30fps limit

K007
01-03-10, 02:20 PM
ill take a pass. unless they remove the fps cap.

crainger
01-04-10, 02:11 PM
FPS cap it's the worst part, it's the controls and animations that just don't feel right, plus there are a few annoying enemies that you find you'll just throw lightning at because it isn't fun to fight them. ::(:

Kaguya
04-16-10, 03:36 PM
Well I picked this up on sale, but not sure how to get AA to work. I tried forcing in nHancer and the screen got all wonky.

Found this below, but not sure how to enable it (when I change the compatibility from a 0 to a 2 using STALKER AA compatibility, it tells me that I have to enter a hex number):

AA Confirmed works after modifiying STALKER Profile (f0c1)

0xf2c1

Supported AA Method: Multisampling 2X/4X/8X/16X
Unsupported AA Method: Quincunx All modes
Supersampling & Combined mode not tested.

Anyone know if AA works?

methimpikehoses
04-16-10, 03:59 PM
Does this still have the 30fps cap?

Imbroglio
04-16-10, 05:16 PM
Does this still have the 30fps cap?

yes and judging from the fact that this is the same studio that put out dark sector and still haven't fixed the fov in that game (seriously... is it that hard to make a simple patch), I'd be willing to bet they won't be addressing the fps cap in force unleashed either... such a shame.

NarcissistZero
04-16-10, 06:22 PM
I don't see why the 30fps cap matters that much for this game... it feels silky smooth at that fps, it's not a shooter or anything.

And it runs great even with AA forced, the videos are high res... this is a good port if you ask me.

Kaguya
04-16-10, 06:23 PM
I don't see why the 30fps cap matters that much for this game... it feels silky smooth at that fps, it's not a shooter or anything.

And it runs great even with AA forced, the videos are high res... this is a good port if you ask me.

What AA are you forcing? I tried 2xMSAA and it was all weird and shifty with the default profile.

NarcissistZero
04-16-10, 06:24 PM
Anyone know if AA works?

Works perfectly for me, using Vanguard compatibility mode in nHancer.

Kaguya
04-16-10, 08:34 PM
Works perfectly for me, using Vanguard compatibility mode in nHancer.

Thanks. Multisampling doesn't work, but Supersampling does, so that's perfect.

Game itself is fun. The menus seem to be 'apart' from the game, and don't meld well with it imho, and the audio is screwed up in 5.1 (music only plays in the left speaker), but otherwise for $15.00, I've done worse :)

30gigs of game, though :D Took a while to download.

Yaboze
04-16-10, 08:58 PM
I wish there was a $15 download on the PS3 or 360 for this.

mailman2
04-16-10, 09:25 PM
I wish there was a $15 download on the PS3 or 360 for this.

You've got a more than capable PC why would anyone rather play games on a console :headexplode:

You must like sub-par graphics and much lower framerates.

LurkerLito
07-01-10, 01:38 AM
For some reason I can't stop playing this game. But still I finished the original non sith edition on the PS3 and for some reason I thought it was significantly better on the PS3. I have noticed A LOT of AI issues with the PC version. The Troopers are all beyond stupid, for example, if you grip a box and try hitting them with it, they jump out of the way, just like on the PS3, but on the PC they will happily jump to their deaths from a high ledge to get away even if you don't hit them. All the troops and yourself have issues with the ground. If it is bumpy like on the Sarlac level they fall over with no need for you to do anything. The movies are all 16:9 and are a bit stretched on a 16:10 screen. That movie player of theirs should be playing the movies with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen to keep the aspect ratio intact. There is a lot of slow loading on the PC version maybe it was just hidden better on the PS3, but after you die and it loads from the checkpoint, it seems to stream the data and the FPS seems to drop really low for several seconds if you move the camera at all. And even though it's locked at 30FPS even with my GTX480 it seems to have slowdown on the level where you fight proxy near the end. I don't know maybe it was the difficulty level I played the PS3 version at (Sith Warrior) vs the PC (Sith Lord) but I don't remember spamming the lighting nearly as much as I do now.

Still I like the game, maybe it's just my inner Star Wars geek that loves it ;), but it was definitely worth the $7.49 I payed for it.

t3hl33td4rg0n
07-01-10, 04:22 AM
Are you guys really that stupid? You can't get past 30fps because you didn't spend $5000 on your computers!

:headexplode:

brady
09-22-10, 04:57 PM
I can't seem to get AA working with the latest NV drivers. I was able to force it via nHancer in General Compatability mode using 19x.xx drivers, but with the latest NV drivers I'm not able force it. I tried the Vangaurd Compatability mode in nHancer, per a suggestion in this thread, but that still didn't get it working. Any suggestions? Is anyone able to get it working using the latest NV drivers?

brady
09-23-10, 12:09 PM
For anyone interested, AA works with the 260.63 beta drivers. You have to force it using nVidia's Control Panel as nHancer doesn't work with these drivers.

Skinner
09-26-10, 08:11 AM
For anyone interested, AA works with the 260.63 beta drivers. You have to force it using nVidia's Control Panel as nHancer doesn't work with these drivers.

I'm running it with 8xSQ (mixed mode with SSAAA) via inspector and it looks awesome from time to time. It's a great game IMHO.