PDA

View Full Version : Corsair SSD, worth it?

Kakeshoma
01-02-10, 06:07 PM
So Im thinking of ordering a Corsair P64 GB SSD... or well, Ive pretty much ordered it already.
I will use it for OS only, and have all games and apps on my other HDDs...
So it worth it? Will I feel any difference in anything else than boot-up time? Or do I need to have my games on a SSD drive to get the load times shorter?

Maybe its a good idea to have a SSD for my OS now, and get a huge SSD for my games and apps later when the price drops...(nana2)

Kakes:headexplode:

jAkUp
01-02-10, 06:36 PM
To get the load times shorter, you would need the O.S. on the SSD too.

The P series are good, there are some Firmware over at Corsair forums that also enable trim function.

Kakeshoma
01-02-10, 06:43 PM
Butter: Yeah I know, but Im kinda short on money now, so I decided to go with the Corsair..

jakUp: Well, that wasnt exactly the question I asked.. Will the load times in games be shorter when I only have the OS on the SSD (and the games on a mechanical HDD)? Or will I have to have both the OS and the games on the SSD to get any improvement on the load time?

Thx

XDanger
01-02-10, 07:04 PM
Even though SSD's are not "new tech" the evolution is still in its infancy

Unless you have bags of money I would sell it on ebay

Wait for the next gen

Blacks in raid is sensible

bacon12
01-03-10, 11:38 AM
Will the load times in games be shorter when I only have the OS on the SSD (and the games on a mechanical HDD)

Probably not since the files that are loading are on a mechanical drive.

Kakeshoma
01-07-10, 08:04 AM
k, thanks guys.
I decided to cancel the order and save the money for the Fermi:)

Revs
01-07-10, 08:45 AM
I'm running a P64 on this works machine I'm on now. Good drive, but not as good as the G.Skill Falcon I've got for my main rig. As in, read and write speeds not as fast, but it's still waaaay faster than a 'normal' drive and alot cheaper than the Falcon.

One thing I would say is if your gonna be installing games on it, go for at least 128Gb. My Falcon is a 128Gb and it's only just big enough. Might get another some time and RAID0 em up :D.