PDA

View Full Version : Well it looks like the 5900 is not quite as fast a people thought......

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AnteP
07-03-03, 05:24 PM
in 6 out of 10 tests:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=3x5900u&page=1

Crazy ill

Sure these tests are well known to perform better on ATis boards but I still find it AMAZING that ATi managed to produce the original R300.
Only Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 can beat the insane leap in performance/quality IMHO.

Slappi
07-03-03, 05:34 PM
That review is a load of crap. Sorry but it is true. I have both a Leadtek 5900 nonpro and a 9800pro card right here. Same CPU and latest drivers. His scores for UT are off at 2x and 4x and for Warcraft3. Don't have the other games. WTF are they trying to pull.

Hellbinder
07-03-03, 05:38 PM
More like what are you trying to pull... Most of the reviews out there ecco similar results when not doing standard tests.

Even when the 5900U wins its usually by a similarly small margin as they lose by. So i just cant see what your point is. all the numbers in his review were very close.

lukar
07-03-03, 05:44 PM
I don't think so dude!

This is the real picture of two cards in real gaming. I'm sorry for people who brought NV30 and NV35.

SlyBoots
07-03-03, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Slappi
That review is a load of crap. Sorry but it is true. I have both a Leadtek 5900 nonpro and a 9800pro card right here. Same CPU and latest drivers. His scores for UT are off at 2x and 4x and for Warcraft3. Don't have the other games. WTF are they trying to pull.

you got no excuses:p

"Those who have read our website before may realize that we're re-testing the GeForceFX 5900 Ultra card in the same benchmarks we did roughly two weeks ago. We're doing this as eVGA has now released a new BIOS which down clocks the 5900 Ultra to slower clock speeds, which dramatically affects benchmark scores. Our scores which were posted on our website two weeks ago are no longer valid, as new GeForceFX 5900 Ultra cards will be all shipping with slower clock speeds. We've also updated our variant of GTA : Vice City, which incorporates a new graphics fix for GeForceFX series graphics cards.

That is why we are re-testing. As you'll likely see, this turn of events changes the favor in the graphics war back to ATI. Since all three of our GeForceFX 5900 Ultra cards run at the same clock speeds and have the exact same hardware, we did not run full benchmarks with all three boards, as it would be pointless. Our card in testing is eVGA's GeForceFX 5900 Ultra which has been flashed with the latest BIOS to run the card at clock speeds of 450 MHz GPU, 850 MHz DDR. Our original benchmarks of this card were run at unsupported clock speeds of 500 MHz GPU, 900 MHz DDR, which is why they will look faster in comparison to today's shipping eVGA cards."
:spank:

walkndude
07-03-03, 05:51 PM
Is ANYONE as sick and tired of these type of threads as I am...

surfhurleydude
07-03-03, 06:03 PM
flibbled as well.

Moose
07-03-03, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by walkndude
Is ANYONE as sick and tired of these type of threads as I am...

Not me!!

I love seeing my R9700 still kicking ass almost a year after I bought it!!!

Hellbinder
07-03-03, 06:17 PM
oh yeah, this was flibbled too

Hahahahahahha...

Put the Helium Baloons down man.. they are killing your brain cells.

I didnt say one was better than the other now did I. What is it with people who read what they want into someones comments and then Flame them based on nothing but their own imagination.

(BTW if i wrote something like that to one of the people here i would get banned)

surfhurleydude
07-03-03, 06:26 PM
flibbled by proxy.

CaptNKILL
07-03-03, 06:50 PM
oh yeah, QUAD FLIBBLE

Easy there killer, we are all freinds here.

If someone shows a benchmark from a half way decent website, you have the right to disagree, but it isnt a hoax just because you say so.

BTW, please dont flip out around here, stuff like that not only makes you look like an idiot, but it'll get you banned.

EDIT: hahaha, nice edit on the Quote :D

Lucien1964
07-03-03, 06:53 PM
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=3x5900u&page=1&cookie%5Ftest=1

A small portion of the final thoughts section............

While this certainly could change in the next few months, the GeForceFX 5900 Ultra market is fairly boring as of today. We're seeing no innovation, nothing to drive the market forward, and considering that full, shipping GeForceFX 5900 Ultra cards perform at lower levels in comparison to the Radeon 9800 Pro in every test we threw at them, it's just impossible for us to recommend the GeForceFX 5900 Ultra. If you have a choice between this card and the Radeon 9800 Pro, the decision should be simple. The Radeon 9800 Pro runs cooler, quieter, only takes up one case slot, runs better in every single benchmark we tested with, and to top it all off, is less expensive as well.

Oh well I hope this will get Nvidia jumpstarted on their next gen stuff. :(

ragejg
07-03-03, 07:10 PM
"ran every benchmark"...

i'm not going to defile the significance of "ran every benchmark", but I will say this...

Radeon R3XX RMA rate (seems kinda high to me, from the ppl I know that've had them AND hearing about this on PLENTY o forums)... usually bad ram...

Compatibility issues (games and/or motherboards)... I don't have the names of the games or mobos on file ( i think some SIS648's... and games... uhh... drawin a blank)... I still get the general impression that catalyst drivers are finnicky with many games ... but not the benchmarks! hmmm...

R3XX is still attractive to me tho, but GFFX more so due to the absence of the problems below...

John Reynolds
07-03-03, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
"ran every benchmark"...

i'm not going to defile the significance of "ran every benchmark", but I will say this...

Radeon R3XX RMA rate (seems kinda high to me, from the ppl I know that've had them AND hearing about this on PLENTY o forums)... usually bad ram...

Compatibility issues (games and/or motherboards)... I don't have the names of the games or mobos on file ( i think some SIS648's... and games... uhh... drawin a blank)... I still get the general impression that catalyst drivers are finnicky with many games ... but not the benchmarks! hmmm...

R3XX is still attractive to me tho, but GFFX more so due to the absence of the problems below...

Classic FUD post. And I don't think Nvidia fans should be pointing out shenanigans with 'benchmark' software these days.

Lucien1964
07-03-03, 07:20 PM
"ran every benchmark"...

IMHO both cards kickk @ss. It really does not matter on the benchies if you consider the speed of those 2 cards. They both will play games as smooth as a babies butt. What Nvidia needs to do is get that 5900 price down. Why buy one when the 9800 is a lot cheaper??

Lucien1964
07-03-03, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by John Reynolds
Classic FUD post. And I don't think Nvidia fans should be pointing out shenanigans with 'benchmark' software these days.

Whats a FUD??

GlowStick
07-03-03, 07:27 PM
duble thread.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14323

TeacherFromHell
07-03-03, 07:29 PM
I think the next round of Dets will really make a difference.

Hellbinder
07-03-03, 07:39 PM
flibbedy flib flib
That is a complete damn lie. In fact look at your own posts. just like this one. Whos being the troll.

How many times is this pattern going to repeat itself? Any min i expect one of the mods to come in here and say something to the effect like.. *sure he has been on edge in the past but im not seeing that here*. Its funny about 100 of these kinds of comments later you would think that sooner or later someone would realize that im not the one makign all these supposed *troll posts*. Im the one usually RESPONDING to troll posts.

I know damn well that you have read a lot of the stuff i post here and virtually NONE of it is raising hell, being a troll, or causing troubble.

I already reported your post to a mod becuase it is completely out of line.

reever2
07-03-03, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by TeacherFromHell
I think the next round of Dets will really make a difference.

In the cheating department, i.e. more

The Baron
07-03-03, 07:49 PM
*sure he has been on edge in the past but im not seeing that here*
DING!

HB's been good lately (GASP), and I find him growing more and more sane with every passing day. Hell, he reported this thread, and had I seen it before I checked my email, I would've flibbled it.

surfhurleydude, stop the trolling or bannings will be passed out.

And yes, I merged the two threads. Damn, that's like 6 moderator actions in five minutes.

digitalwanderer
07-03-03, 07:49 PM
"ran every benchmark"...

I don't know what the heck you're talking about Ragejg, I've been hearing of a lot more problems with nVidia's latest than ATi's latest cards AND drivers.

I'm seriously confused, could you post up some of what you're talking about? :confused:

Hellbinder
07-03-03, 07:50 PM
I think people need to get over wether one card is 5-10 FPS faster than the other.

It comes down to personal preference on a number of issues.

For me Personally.

The only major flaw i can see with the FX right now is the growing evidence that they are indeed Hacking AF filtering even in their application mode. Which they are obviously doing for speed. The bad thing about Nvidias approach is it affects all angles including the primary ones. I think they need to reevaluate what they are doing there.

Combine that with their Weaker AA and it is a bit of a troubblesome thing for the 5900U considering how much more expensive it is than the 9800pro.

digitalwanderer
07-03-03, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Lucien1964
Whats a FUD??
It's a term meaning "Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt" and I believe it was first coined over the FUD that Microsoft was spreading about linux...at least that's when I first heard it being bandied about. ;)

It means that the poster is implying that the person he was replying to was full of BS and was just trying to scare people away from buying an ATi card by spreading rumors...which I agree with. :)

GlowStick
07-03-03, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
It's a term meaning "Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt" and I believe it was first coined over the FUD that Microsoft was spreading about linux...at least that's when I first heard it being bandied about. ;)

It means that the poster is implying that the person he was replying to was full of BS and was just trying to scare people away from buying an ATi card by spreading rumors...which I agree with. :)

those microsoft bastards!