PDA

View Full Version : Steam: can you return a gift? (yeah, it's not a joke...)

Pages : [1] 2

LydianKnight
01-03-10, 02:23 PM
Ok, sounds quite stupid but...

My brother sent me the most pitiful gift I could never imagine on Steam... Crysis Warhead :zombie:

I don't care about how good visually is or whatever, you all know I don't consider (and I won't ever consider) it a 'game', is it possible to return the gift or even ask Steam to remove it from my profile or something like that?

Julio

|MaguS|
01-03-10, 02:26 PM
Nope.

Sean_W
01-03-10, 02:27 PM
It's the thought that counts. Why not just go and kick him in the nuts for sending you a worthless gift? :eek2:

LydianKnight
01-03-10, 02:31 PM
It's the thought that counts. Why not just go and kick him in the nuts for sending you a worthless gift? :eek2:

I know... but... why on earth didn't he gifted me with COD: Modern Warfare 2 instead? definitely, I have the worst luck in the world... :(

NarcissistZero
01-03-10, 02:48 PM
Now the Crysis haters are saying it isn't even a game? Lordy.

LurkerLito
01-03-10, 03:41 PM
Well if you didn't redeem the gift I think you can tell him to give it to someone else who would want it. He can't return it though.

Sazar
01-03-10, 03:45 PM
Now the Crysis haters are saying it isn't even a game? Lordy.

:rofl

I know right?

:rofl

Sazar
01-03-10, 03:46 PM
I know... but... why on earth didn't he gifted me with COD: Modern Warfare 2 instead? definitely, I have the worst luck in the world... :(

Maybe you should have a better line of communication with your brother so he knows the kinds of things you like/appreciate and would therefore buy you COD:MW2 :bleh:

ViN86
01-03-10, 03:46 PM
I wish you could. I bought Torchlight for $10 then less than 24 hours later it was on sale for $5. :headexplode:

Also, isn't Warhead like $30, and MW2 is $60? I'm just saying :o

Kakeshoma
01-03-10, 03:53 PM
too bad:P

but may I ask why Crysis is not a game? cuz I play it, and I think it looks and acts just as computer games do...?

MowTin
01-03-10, 04:27 PM

He should have gifted you this...

http://www.etftrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/coal_400x266.jpg

It's very impolite to return a gift. It's actually a very good game but if you don't like it don't play it. Just my 2 cents.

bob saget
01-03-10, 04:36 PM
It's the thought that counts. Thank him, but let the hatred build up inside. That's what I do.

Albo
01-03-10, 04:58 PM
lmao, you'd rather have the game deleted from your steam account?
You don't even want to see it exist?

LydianKnight
01-03-10, 05:39 PM
lmao, you'd rather have the game deleted from your steam account?
You don't even want to see it exist?

Honestly? No... I appreciate my brother's initiative, but not what he has 'bought' me...

but may I ask why Crysis is not a game? cuz I play it, and I think it looks and acts just as computer games do...?

Cute for a visual simulation, that's what I would call it. But CRYTEK developers create a stunning visual simulation (at the expense of quite a bunch of money for a 'capable' machine of running it), add a UI, a performance scaler, add some 1st person camera, some shooting capabilities, plus a set of enemies, and they call that a game? Heh, their sense of humour is certainly funny, at least for me...

Also, isn't Warhead like $30, and MW2 is $60? I'm just saying :o

Yes, you're right... I'll eventually get it once it drops from its current 60 euros mark :P

Albo
01-03-10, 06:08 PM
Cute for a visual simulation, that's what I would call it. But CRYTEK developers create a stunning visual simulation (at the expense of quite a bunch of money for a 'capable' machine of running it), add a UI, a performance scaler, add some 1st person camera, some shooting capabilities, plus a set of enemies, and they call that a game? Heh, their sense of humour is certainly funny, at least for me...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what an First Person Shooter is?

LydianKnight
01-03-10, 06:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what an First Person Shooter is?

Not necessarily... take as an example Doom 3 when it came out, you could improve its visuals a bit if you were one of those fortunate owners of a GPU with 512MB of dedicated VRAM, when most of the GPUs being sold were 256MB or even 128MB, but in terms of playability, nothing far from this world... you could actually play it at a very decent frame rate with med-end hardware or even low-med, like I had at that time, a 17" display driven by a Radeon X600, not at 60+ FPS, of course, but 20/25+. so... quite playable with great visuals for its time.

On the other hand, we have Crysis/Crysis Warhead, very visually rich and immersive but at what price? we're not even talking about anti-aliasing settings, just the performance scaler... with my current hardware, a GTX260 and a 1680x1050 display, can I play the game on the enthusiast settings (the maximum level if I remember correctly from youtube videos) at (at least) 20+/40- FPS? If we're talking about adding some anti-aliasing, go figure the frame rate...

That's always been my complaint about Crysis or Crysis Warhead... what's the point on releasing something that's not for everyone or you need quite expensive hardware in order to play it smoothly?

If someone could prove me wrong, I would be more than willing to hear him/her and rectify myself, but the vast majority of videos out there usually speaks for themselves...

LurkerLito
01-03-10, 06:46 PM
Hmm I run a GTX260 and I run it at 1920x1200. I had to turn off AA and lower a few settings but it runs at a good enough frame rate to be playable. I can turn AA and most settings up if I lower the resolution IIRC.

I was just going to try it to check my settings but Crysis requires the disc to play, f**k me I should have bought it on steam when it was $14 lol

Albo
01-03-10, 06:48 PM
Not necessarily... take as an example Doom 3 when it came out, you could improve its visuals a bit if you were one of those fortunate owners of a GPU with 512MB of dedicated VRAM, when most of the GPUs being sold were 256MB or even 128MB, but in terms of playability, nothing far from this world... you could actually play it at a very decent frame rate with med-end hardware or even low-med, like I had at that time, a 17" display driven by a Radeon X600, not at 60+ FPS, of course, but 20/25+. so... quite playable with great visuals for its time.

On the other hand, we have Crysis/Crysis Warhead, very visually rich and immersive but at what price? we're not even talking about anti-aliasing settings, just the performance scaler... with my current hardware, a GTX260 and a 1680x1050 display, can I play the game on the enthusiast settings (the maximum level if I remember correctly from youtube videos) at (at least) 20+/40- FPS? If we're talking about adding some anti-aliasing, go figure the frame rate...

That's always been my complaint about Crysis or Crysis Warhead... what's the point on releasing something that's not for everyone or you need quite expensive hardware in order to play it smoothly?

If someone could prove me wrong, I would be more than willing to hear him/her and rectify myself, but the vast majority of videos out there usually speaks for themselves...

You're basically saying it's not a game because I can't run it well on my PC...
If that's the case, GTA IV isn't a game either.

Sazar
01-03-10, 06:49 PM
Here's a novel idea.

Instead of whining and bitching about how much you detest the game, and making a public spectacle of calling out your brother for GIFTING you something, why don't you just NOT install the game, now that you know you can't return it, and let it be?

:bleh:

JasonPC
01-03-10, 06:59 PM
Last time I checked a game is a game no matter what graphic setting it's on... even Crysis. Now how good of a game is up for debate. Does running it on Gamer make it less of a game than Enthusiast? If it does then that's news to me because even the game on Gamer looks much better than most. The Very High setting was only enabled IMO to show that the game engine can scale UP to run optimally on hardware that had not even been developed at the time of Crysis's release. With custom settings you can probably tweak it to look even more detailed than Very High, which is something that I wished Far Cry could do but the config file just doesn't have that many settings.

mailman2
01-03-10, 07:04 PM
Here's a novel idea.

Instead of whining and bitching about how much you detest the game, and making a public spectacle of calling out your brother for GIFTING you something, why don't you just NOT install the game, now that you know you can't return it, and let it be?

:bleh:

No kidding, what a jerk the OP is. Selfish, spoiled little brat. Why not just make a thread "I'm an idiot and a bad person and would love to share with the world why" that would've been more appropriate.

NarcissistZero
01-03-10, 07:34 PM

Your computer can run it fine, stop whining.

jAkUp
01-03-10, 09:08 PM
The difference is that the gamer setting in Crysis will give you great FPS, and still look better than most of the games on the market.

Enthusiast setting is reserved for the highest end machines.

gulizard
01-03-10, 10:49 PM
People who hate Crysis have to listen to the fan boys. If you like crysis why even post here? Its not a game, its a tech demo. Voice acting, very few good cut scenes, very ****ty story, with little to go on other then your a nice rich jungle environments that been invaded by some of the weirdest pathetic looking aliens I've ever laid eyes, and the same repetitive game play. I mean you can also sneak past everything to, but that isn't fun, but then again neither is running up and shooting your enemies over and over. Lets not forget how they die, how dumb the AI are, for instance you can shoot a tranquilizer at the Korean guy, he passes out, you sneak in, and you HAVE to kill him, or else he wakes up and runs off to tell his friends, but he doesn't. He just gets up and walks around. You have no ability to move dead enemies around, I mean come on its a stealthy type game at first, you can hide in the bushes can't you? Nope you can't because the enemy can see through it, unless you just lay there, in which case they will some how stumble upon you unless you use cloak, then again they still can see you. So hiding doesn't work, or does it? It does if you sit atop a rock in plain view, and shoot the enemies one by one, no one ever notices a black suited man standing up there.

This game is a kiddy FPS. There are far better, and to assume anyone who comes here preaching the greatness of crysis, is any more then a graphics *****, is nuts. As I can point that everyone of them have taken screenshots and posted them in the Screenshot thread, to the point people were sick of seeing Crysis. Most of them clearly had the graphics options tweaked. Further proving graphics whores, and not actual gamers. I would be willing to bet a round of any real FPS vs these guys claiming crysis is so good against me would prove my point even more so, that or reviewing their K/D Ratio in any game and comparing it to mine.

As for looking good, shows jungle good, but it couldn't pull off a city, and run as good as I've seen games run before. It runs like crap, and the sad thing is theres not really a difference. I had an 8800 GTS, and I went from that to a 260 GTX which gave me like a 3-8 FPS increase in Crysis at the same visual settings. Not hardly any improvements. Clock Speed does very little. It takes 4 SLI'd cards to run this game maxed out, and it only looks this good? There are way better optimized games to come that will look better then crysis and run better, but if it looks and runs better, it will not be a good game till it had a good single player story, and the game play is good. If Crysis was going to have good gameplay the suit would have been earned, giving the player something to look foward to, rather then running around grabbing Koreans back the neck and watching their facial expression never veer or change from the same old boring bs.

However DX9 Crysis maxed out can be made to look as good as DX10, guess what? My FPS jumps way up, a lot father then it did it in DX10. DX10 is new, but its certainly not what was promised. DX11 appears to be what DX10 was suppose to be. So have fun. I won't reply back to this post. Crysis fan boys, eat your heart out.

jAkUp
01-03-10, 11:24 PM
http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/931665-crysis/index.html

Based on 60 reviews, over 90% average. That puts it up there with Dues Ex, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, BF2, Thief.

Even excluding graphics, I found the game great, I group it up there with HL1, HL2, UT2K4, BioShock and SystemShock as one of my favorite games of all time.