PDA

View Full Version : What should I get next?

shilk
01-03-10, 06:40 PM
Hey guys, Happy New Years and all that. :)

Gotta upgrade question. I went to Fry's and they had a GTX 260 216 for $159. I also saw the Phenom II 945 for $160 and the ATi 5770 for $179.

My specs are:
750a mobo
4GB of DDR2 800
9600 GT SLI
Phenom 9850

I have a $40 discount on any of those, so I was wondering what you guys think I should upgrade to.

I read that the 5770 is slightly slower than the GTX 260, but there's DX11 and the low power consumption. I'd like to keep PhysX/CUDA as well and I know you can hybrid PhysX with a GeForce and ATi card (dunno if they've disabled it via drivers, iirc). I don't plan on upgrading for a long while, so I'm thinking a good year or more would be the ideal timeline for my next upgrade.

I'm struggling in games and I don't think it's my CPU, but my videocards. Dragon Age, Borderlands and some others hiccup and lag when I turn and look a certain way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

muelo1000
01-03-10, 08:23 PM
The 260 is a big improvement on the 9600 SLI i replace my same SLI with a EVGA 275 and WOW...... Keep one of the 9600 there great for a dedicated Physx Card that should take care of your gaming problem (nana2)

Viral
01-03-10, 11:51 PM
That's a hard decision. You want something that will last you a long time, so DX11 may be worth it, but paying more for a 5770 over a 260 just doesn't seem right.

I agree that even though the 945 is a good deal faster than the old 9850, a GPU upgrade would serve you best for gaming.

CaptNKILL
01-04-10, 01:02 AM
Get the GTX 260. I have one and its an awesome card. A 9600GT is also great for Physx, which will make your 260 even faster in supported games. :)

Also, Phenom II support will depend on your motherboard. I don't think all 750a boards are compatible with newer CPUs.

Later on when you can afford to put a stronger CPU in there, your GTX 260 will be able to really stretch its legs.

As for DX11, I don't think the 5770 will be fast enough to push the latest features well enough to make it worth it. Plus, it has to be easier to get Physx working with two nvidia cards rather than having to use some sort of trick for mixed nvidia and ati cards.

shilk
01-04-10, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the recommendation guys. :) I think I'll just go ahead and get the 260. :D

That's a hard decision. You want something that will last you a long time, so DX11 may be worth it, but paying more for a 5770 over a 260 just doesn't seem right.

I agree that even though the 945 is a good deal faster than the old 9850, a GPU upgrade would serve you best for gaming.
Yeah, I'm trying to think about not having to upgrade for a while, and my 9600GTs aren't pulling their weight in some games I play. I have yet to see what the fuss is all about in DX 11, and I'm not about to shell out more money on the existing games just to see how it'll run only to find out that it wasn't worth it.

While surfing the net about some info specifically detailing the 9850 to Phenom II 940+ upgrade, a lot of people said the performance increase alone was well worth it. That's why I'm in this dilemma. I can live with the performance just fine for now, but the extra boost from a better CPU and my 9600's in SLi scaling confused me. The 64 shader processors on the 9600 are killing me in most games. The 216 shader boost from the 260 would be more than welcomed. :D Yes, I'm an eye candy *****.

Get the GTX 260. I have one and its an awesome card. A 9600GT is also great for Physx, which will make your 260 even faster in supported games. :)
Yeah, I was going to use my old 9600 GT as a dedicated PhysX card no matter what card I decided to get. Wasn't sure if I wanted to hassle with trying to get it to work with the ATi card as well. Last I checked, NVIDIA disabled it at the driver level, but the PhysX Info website shows it's still possible with a hack that was pretty easy (http://physxinfo.com/news/1251/how-to-set-up-hybrid-physx-system-video-guide/).

Also, Phenom II support will depend on your motherboard. I don't think all 750a boards are compatible with newer CPUs.
I checked the mobo company and they support the 95 watt version. Not sure about the 140 watt.

Later on when you can afford to put a stronger CPU in there, your GTX 260 will be able to really stretch its legs.
I've read that having a CPU that's rated at least 3.0 ghz+ would be the most beneficial for the GTX line of cards. Not sure if it's true since I wasn't able to find any solid proof about it but it makes sense I guess.

I was thinking of waiting until the hexacore CPUs come out and see if the older ones drop in price as well. But that's still out of my league. I'm a cheap bastard.

As for DX11, I don't think the 5770 will be fast enough to push the latest features well enough to make it worth it. Plus, it has to be easier to get Physx working with two nvidia cards rather than having to use some sort of trick for mixed nvidia and ati cards.
Actually, that's one of the most talked about subjects on the 5770. Since it's using a 128-bit memory interface, a lot of people are going back and forth on the card's performance. But the DDR5 memory bandwidth is supposed to be good enough to keep it going. Might be a better idea to just shell out cash for the 5870, but I'm not made out of money. :o Some videos I've seen with Dirt 2 and DX11 on the 5770 looked smooth as hell as well.

So I guess everyone is recommending the GTX 260 then. :) Hopefully they're still there when I go to Fry's tomorrow. They only had a few left, and the lady I spoke to said their restock is coming in tomorrow as well. Will report back if I'm successful at obtaining one.

nekrosoft13
01-04-10, 12:19 PM
i would grab the 260, and leave the cpu for now.

nekrosoft13
01-04-10, 12:20 PM
How much does the 5850 cost? .

since he was talking about fry's it ranges between 310 and 360 (one for 310 says call of availability,so out of stock)

shilk
01-05-10, 11:25 AM
Walked in to buy it and somene got the last one right before I did. :(

Now I have to wait for their restock which could take up to a week or so. At $159 with the rebate, they're flying off the shelves. I haven't seen the 260 216 core at that price anywhere else.

I'm kinda pissed off, lol.

a12ctic
01-05-10, 06:32 PM
The 5770 goes back and forth with the 260 in benchmarks, but it also has a newer feature set. It'd be the better buy than the 260 anyway.

Viral
01-05-10, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't say that, it does sometimes pull ahead at high AA/AF at high resolution probably because of its superior cache design and possibly even because of more VRAM. With other games it's the exact opposite...

It's not a bad buy though and if it's worth anything they do seem to overclock well and easily surpass the (stock) 260 at a good OC. If you can't wait for the 260 then the 5770 is a good buy, I'd personally not want to pay more than the price of a 260 for one.

shilk
01-06-10, 02:46 PM
You guys think a Phenom II 720 would be a nice step up from my processor? I'm trying to think of what else to get, and the GTX 260 and Phenom II 720 seems like a decent deal. I can get the 720 for $80 right now, but I was hoping to hold out for the videocard first.

Damn, decisions. :(

Maverick123w
01-06-10, 03:11 PM
If you can float both that would be a nice upgrade.

shilk
01-06-10, 04:19 PM
Wish I could. I'm super broke from buying DDOC and myself a new toy (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141755). :o

Seems like Fry's is taking the piss and not getting the GTX 260 anytime soon, either. If it weren't for all of these unclaimed credit receipts, I would buy it elsewhere. :fu:

hokeyplyr48
01-06-10, 05:12 PM
Wish I could. I'm super broke from buying DDOC and myself a new toy.

Seems like Fry's is taking the piss and not getting the GTX 260 anytime soon, either. If it weren't for all of these unclaimed credit receipts, I would buy it elsewhere.

There are so many monitors out there that are better...and for cheaper.

It's not even a decent resolution

shilk
01-06-10, 11:51 PM
That was intended as a joke. :(

shilk
01-21-10, 02:44 AM
Well I got screwed over by Frys, majorly. Bought it online to pick up (and so I can use my credit at the store). Got there and they didn't have it. :( Cancelled the order and decided to get a different brand and decided to ship it got an email saying they were out of stock. Seriously, WTF. Cancelled my order all together.

Then a buddy of mine was nice enough to sell me his Phenom II 925 for $50 + shipping still in the box. Hopped right on that deal. :D

Now I'm thinking I should just get a cheap card and ditch the SLI since I'm out $50. Would a GTS 250 fit the bill? I only game at 1440x900. I'd like to keep it an NVIDIA card for the CUDA and what not. Unfortunately, I'm not left with a lot of options. Fry's has a BFG GTS 250 1GB for $99. Should I get it? IIRC, the perfomance of 9600GT in SLi should be around par with the GTS 250, no? I can practially get it for free with these damn credit slips.

CaptNKILL
01-21-10, 04:03 AM
A 1Gb GTS 250 for $99 is a pretty awesome deal.

That's a really nice card for the money, especially if you're looking to stay with nvidia.

I'd still try to hold out for a GTX 260 at least, if you can... but a GTS 250 will be a pretty solid card. Keep one of those 9600GTs laying around for Physx games and you'll be in good shape. :thumbsup:

shilk
01-21-10, 10:59 AM
Thanks, Cap! :)

I'll try to hold off for the 260, but I just want to be done with it all. Mass Effect 2 is right around the corner, and I'd like to settle this asap.

Has anyone out there upgraded from an 8 or 9 series in SLi to a single GTS/X series card?

Toss3
01-21-10, 11:37 AM
Thanks, Cap! :)

I'll try to hold off for the 260, but I just want to be done with it all. Mass Effect 2 is right around the corner, and I'd like to settle this asap.

Has anyone out there upgraded from an 8 or 9 series in SLi to a single GTS/X series card?

I really wouldn't consider a GTS 250 an upgrade over two 9600GTs in SLI. The GTS 250 is based on old tech, so a GTX 260 or 5770(or 4870/90) would be much better. :)

shilk
01-21-10, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the input, Toss3. :)

Right now, the prices are all wacky. The GTX 260's are going up like mad, and the 5770 went down. I've seen the 5770 as low as $134 on newegg. A decent stock GTX 260 is running at $160+ still. The only one I've seen is from PNY, and I think they've just revised their warranty as well. Since I'd like to keep it to Frys because of limited funds, the cheapest 5770 is still $180, and the GTX 260 is $159.

I know that for the price, the 5770 is great, but I'm a bit apprehensive on moving to the other side of the fence. The last ATi card I had was a 9800 Pro. From reading about drivers issues and how certain games aren't rendering shadows or effects correctly, I'm just a bit awry about ATi. I'd love to just play the game without having fuss with settings or waiting on another driver release to play.

Has anyone else that's upgraded to a 5770 care to leave some input? :o

Toss3
01-21-10, 12:41 PM
Just checked the Egg and found this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102866) hidden gem. :) Great performance for the price and they seem to overclock much better than the 4850's. They were originally only meant for the Chinese market, but some made it over there as well it appears.
The GTX 260 and 5770 would be better choices, but that card would be much faster than a GTS 250. ;)

shilk
01-21-10, 01:42 PM
Awesome, thanks! :) Will have to keep an eye on that.