PDA

View Full Version : Had it with Creative now do I need a new sound card

mcolbourn
01-04-10, 04:54 PM
Well I have decided I have had enough with the creative drivers now for my X-FI Gamer. I am not saying that's its a bad card but its just the drives have never been great for my in Windows 7. I have formatted and cleaned installed a few times and each time I get problems with the drivers crashing or causing problems.

I am not saying that I hate creative as I have always had creative cards back to my old SB16 but its just that I can't get the drivers stable. My mate has nearly the same setup as me and gets no problems with his.

So I am now using the on-board ALC888 on my MB and to be honest its not too bad through the speakers I got. But If I do decide to get a new sound card what would you say is a good card. I mainly play games and listen to music via Spotify on my PC.

Smee
01-04-10, 06:19 PM
Bump.. I have the same issue.. sick of creative's crappy software and lack of updates when a new OS rolls around.

Johnny C
01-04-10, 08:58 PM
Creative is crappy....but there just doesn't seem to be any real alternatives....

TheTaz
01-04-10, 10:01 PM
What about those Asus Xonar cards?

I don't know much about them, but I switched to on-board Audio in the late 90's after I got pissed with Creative's drivers and bloatware... and I haven't looked back since.

bacon12
01-04-10, 10:07 PM
^This had my D2 for almost 2 years now and love it.

Shamrock
01-04-10, 10:37 PM
I've had onboard sounds since I bought my PhII in June. I have had no problems out of it, and it sounds as good as my Audigy 2 did. My speakers are Logitech Z5300e, so they are quite good.

Rakeesh
01-09-10, 04:31 AM
Well I have decided I have had enough with the creative drivers now for my X-FI Gamer. I am not saying that's its a bad card but its just the drives have never been great for my in Windows 7. I have formatted and cleaned installed a few times and each time I get problems with the drivers crashing or causing problems.

I am not saying that I hate creative as I have always had creative cards back to my old SB16 but its just that I can't get the drivers stable. My mate has nearly the same setup as me and gets no problems with his.

So I am now using the on-board ALC888 on my MB and to be honest its not too bad through the speakers I got. But If I do decide to get a new sound card what would you say is a good card. I mainly play games and listen to music via Spotify on my PC.

I used to use nothing but creative cards back in the day. However creative cards stopped being good when creative got full of themselves and let their drivers turn to sh*t. This happened somewhere between the SB Live and Audigy series when the drivers changed from being functional to being a marketing tool designed to demonstrate what the card was capable of while introducing a ton of bloat and introducing several bugs into games without ever fixing them.

Now in addition to making sh*tty software, they also make sh*tty hardware that snaps crackles and pops. When creatives customers point it out, creative tells them that they're just hearing things. After several years of this and several youtube videos clearly showing the problem, creative finally admits the problem is there, but they just blame it on nvidia even on setups where nvidia hardware is never used.

^This had my D2 for almost 2 years now and love it.

Got a Xonar HDAV1.3 (HDMI sound card) a few months ago. It's not without its flaws (bugs) but it has far less problems than any creative card ever gave me.

CaptNKILL
01-09-10, 04:52 AM
I've only used a few sound cards that I really really liked, and I've had a ton of sound cards. I've had an integrated sound blaster AWE32 (still works with no problems in Windows 98), a Yamaha DSXG (horrid crap), Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 (good card, not much driver support), Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (decent card, decent drivers), AC97 onboard (HORRIBLE quality, decent drivers), TurtleBeach Santa Cruz (great card, poor driver support), Nvidia Soundstorm (good quality and features, decent drivers... while it lasted), Realtek HD audio (good drivers, good quality, no interesting features)... then my X-Fi Xtrememusic.

My X-Fi is by far at the top of the list due to compatibility, quality and features. They make you jump through hoops to install some parts of the drivers that can't be found on their site, but once they're installed I've had very very few problems with them. I've had my X-Fi Xtrememusic for over 4 years now. I can't believe its been that long, but its been an awesome card and I see no reason to replace it at any point in the future unless it stops working. It supports OpenAL and DirectSound so it pretty much has full compatibility with any hardware sound functionality that a game may support. It can do Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect over coaxial or optical digital.

I would only replace this thing if a different card offered some kind of awesome new features that were actually going to catch on.

I can understand replacing it if you have driver problems, I just thought I'd share my sound card experiences.

mcolbourn
01-09-10, 08:01 AM
Like I said I used to love Creative cards and I also agree that the AWE32 was a fab card. I can still remember pluging it in and being able to use MIDI sound in games. I would say the best Creative card I owned was the AWE 64 after the physical size of the 32 the 64 looked small but sounded a bit better.

BTW. I am going to stick with the on-board atm, it does everything I want and sounds just fine to me on my speaker set-up.

Toss3
01-09-10, 08:12 AM
Just get a decent external dac or receiver and say goodbye to soundcards. :)

nV`andrew
01-09-10, 11:51 AM
My X-Fi XtremeMusic has been working great in multiple computers over the past 4 years or so. Probably my only piece of hardware that hasn't take a dump :o
Sound quality is great, drivers are fine. After I upgraded to Windows 7 64 (all the way from XP 32 bit) I let it install the default drivers, then I just went onto their site to get the control panel, and it runs just as well as it did in XP. All the same features that I used, so for me, changing OS's and losing support was not relevant.

logan
01-09-10, 03:57 PM
I've tried using the onboard realtek888 on my p35 motherboard a few times, usually when my SB Live! starts to bother me or crackles, but I just can't get the levels right... The volume doesn't go very high and if I try to use an alsa preamp to increase the dB when watching DVDs, it becomes badly distorted. I like that the Live! has bass and treble controls, but that's about it.

Lyme
01-09-10, 05:29 PM
I'm currently using the sound off my ati 5870 video card, over hdmi it offers:
"Integrated HD audio controller

* Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
* Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats"

Before that I was using my on-board sound. It it generally fine for everyone but those doing professional sound work.

Smee
01-11-10, 09:33 PM
I'm currently using the sound off my ati 5870 video card, over hdmi it offers:
"Integrated HD audio controller

* Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
* Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats"

Before that I was using my on-board sound. It it generally fine for everyone but those doing professional sound work.
LOL I have a 5870, and until I saw this post I had no idea it had audio :D
How the hell do you hook it up to a set of Klipsch 4.1's?
What about using headphones etc?

Lyme
01-11-10, 10:40 PM
LOL I have a 5870, and until I saw this post I had no idea it had audio :D
How the hell do you hook it up to a set of Klipsch 4.1's?
What about using headphones etc?

For headphones, I have a BENQ 2420HD which includes speakers and a jack for plugging your headphones into. Anything else however you would need to resort to putting the hdmi through an amp (just like you'd do it for your blu-ray player).

The upside to using the audio on the 5870 is that I don't get any of the distortion caused by sound card amplifiers picking up EM noise from inside the computer and making it audible, because it is purely digital. The downside is that I have to use on board sound for my microphone.

Rakeesh
01-12-10, 01:24 AM
Just get a decent external dac or receiver and say goodbye to soundcards. :)

That is pretty much all there is to it really. This is why I've switched to an HDMI sound card. It really doesn't matter what kind of DAC's, cap quality, or whathaveyou when it comes to the hardware side. So long as the drivers can put out LPCM audio you're good. Even if the sound card is bad and causes jitter in the hdmi bitstream, most receivers are capable of correcting that.

DansFace
01-12-10, 11:06 AM
I was running into tons of crashes too... but right now i just have the driver itself installed and the mode switching software.. no problems..

except a odd bug with setFSB, but i found a work around :]

Mr Bigman
01-12-10, 02:44 PM
I miss using the live with the parot for fun.

yea since the audigy, they went south and not by lee's either.

I would say the awe32 gold edition was the best card they made i asume cuz its simple and had lots of fun.

jeffmd
01-14-10, 03:36 AM
I can't say anything about the win7 drivers, they might be in their infancy, but I havn't been as impressed with my x-fi since my first audio card, the SBpro. Its my first sound card that has truly working surround sound %100, its sound quality is top notch (analog 5.1 speaker set), and ive been using the web drivers which have very little bloat in them. The only problem I have EVER had with them is the mic boost does not save between reboots.