PDA

View Full Version : Dirt 2 still doesnt launch

Crow_Nest
01-05-10, 05:21 AM
Remember in the official dirt 2 thread where i said my game keeps crashing after the AMD intro logo? And everyone was saying its my old 510 watt PSU thats probably causing the problem. Well just to let you guys know i already upgraded to a new 750 watt PSU and the game still crashes in the exact same way. Nothing has changed at all. Even tried forcing the game in DX9 (Which did help some people to launch the game) but it didnt make any difference. Right after the AMD logo plays an error report appears saying dirt2_game.exe has crashed and i can confirm once and for all it is nothing to do with the lack of power supply, i knew it all along... :headexplode: I tried running the game in Windows XP and as usual it crashes in the exact same manner.

What do i do now? Codemasters doesnt seem to give a **** about this issue and im not the only one. I got a complimentary game from sapphire after buying their graphics card and it doesnt even work at all. What a joke.

Kaguya
01-05-10, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure what you've tried, but the basics would be: Uninstall (and wipe) your Catalyst drivers and reinstall the latests version. Turn off background applications and/or use msconfig to boot into a minimalist state to see if it runs. If it does, there's a conflict somewhere. Run memtest or another memory tester to make sure your RAM is good. Clean your registry. Defrag your HD... :) Start messing with one variable at a time until you see something change, and once you've made a connection you can get some help - as it is now, it's too general/vague and telling you what is causing it would be a random guess at best.

nekrosoft13
01-05-10, 12:26 PM
do you have all the required components installed?

GfW Live
Visual C++
DirectX latest update
Rapture3D sound

NarcissistZero
01-05-10, 02:39 PM
Yeah, there is some easy fix out there you just need to find it. The only game that ever crashed like that for me in the last 10 years was Frontlines, and I fixed that with new mobo drivers of all things.

Crow_Nest
01-06-10, 03:27 AM
Im already using Catalyst 9.12. And my Dirt 2 is a fresh install via steam and im even running it on a brand new hard disk i just got few weeks back, all the required softwares are also already installed. The fact that it crashes in the exact same manner on a different OS also disturbs me...

NarcissistZero
01-06-10, 04:33 AM
Well the OS is hardly ever the problem.

Did you update every driver possible? It is almost always that.

Crow_Nest
01-06-10, 07:57 AM
Yeah already updated whatever i can and it still wont launch past the AMD logo video. Removing the videos dont help either, instead the game just crashes as it tries to start up.

Kaguya
01-06-10, 10:30 AM
Yeah already updated whatever i can and it still wont launch past the AMD logo video. Removing the videos dont help either, instead the game just crashes as it tries to start up.

What about background programs Have you disabled/turned off all of those? I know that FRAPS can cause some of my games to not start at all, giving me the same error. Turning FRAPS off solves the issue.

nekrosoft13
01-06-10, 01:48 PM

at the AMD logo is when GfW live activates.

try uninstalling Live, and then install it again from this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128962

Crow_Nest
01-06-10, 11:43 PM
at the AMD logo is when GfW live activates.

try uninstalling Live, and then install it again from this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128962

Just tried it. And this time it didnt even make it past the AMD logo. The game crashes as the logo is showing. And it still crashes with the same error message.

Starscream
01-07-10, 12:34 AM
Dirt 2 requires a 1kw power supply.

just kidding!

silasbear
01-07-10, 08:41 AM
My friend had this same problem, so I updated his ati drivers, and forced the game to run in dx9 in the steam command line option by adding -dx9.

this worked for him.

Airbrushkid
01-07-10, 09:11 AM
Did your friend have a dx-9 card? Crow has a 5850 which is dx-11. The game is a dx-11 game. I run it with my gtx 285. I don understand why he is having this problem.

Crow_Nest
01-07-10, 09:52 AM
Did your friend have a dx-9 card? Crow has a 5850 which is dx-11. The game is a dx-11 game. I run it with my gtx 285. I don understand why he is having this problem.

I dont think anyone knows why this problem persists, not even codemasters because they dont seem to be at all arsed by this issue. :thumbdwn:

Oh and btw, forcing the game in DX9 via editing the hardware_settings_config.xml doesnt make it work either.

Quick420
01-09-10, 02:12 PM
Forgive me,but chipset drivers sound like the issue here.The mobo is likely the culprit.I'm sure in xp you disabled h/w accel for sound etc.Codecs for movies etc should have been instaslled during game installation.You have no issues with codies before D2? The rature3d should not be an issue,uninstall it.It really is a good racer I'm gonna try and get it workin for ya.Go to the codies forum.Quick420 will help from there.:afro2:

Crow_Nest
01-09-10, 11:20 PM
Forgive me,but chipset drivers sound like the issue here.The mobo is likely the culprit.I'm sure in xp you disabled h/w accel for sound etc.Codecs for movies etc should have been instaslled during game installation.You have no issues with codies before D2? The rature3d should not be an issue,uninstall it.It really is a good racer I'm gonna try and get it workin for ya.Go to the codies forum.Quick420 will help from there.:afro2:

Yep i went there to rant about this before, i just went back to check and looks like codemasters finally responded to the issue. According to Helios, (the community manager on the CM forums) the devs tried to replicate this issue with a variety of hardware but have been unable to do so for some reason. And NVIDIA users with different generation of chipsets are also having this problem, so its not just the ATI camp. Its definitely not a hardware issue anymore, either our graphics card makers need to release better drivers, or CM just needs to PATCH THE DAMN GAME.