PDA

View Full Version : good computer speakers?

Pages : [1] 2

josiahsuarez
01-06-10, 05:56 PM
I'm looking for a good pair of stereo speakers (not surround, and I already have a nice sub). these will go on a computer desk. I found these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836166006

is that a good buy? or maybe there is something better? I'm willing to spend up to $200-$300 :thinker:

a12ctic
01-06-10, 06:08 PM
I have audioengine a2's. I'm very happy with them.They have a nice sound to them. Way better than the ones you linked.

bob saget
01-06-10, 06:50 PM
I never got the deal with bose. I have a Creative 5.1 setup, and it sounds just fine for music/movies. I game with my 555s.

nekrosoft13
01-06-10, 06:56 PM
bose speakers are complete waste of money

CaptNKILL
01-06-10, 06:59 PM
Just out of curiosity... how are you planning on using your sub?

LT.Schaffer
01-06-10, 08:45 PM
Logitech Z5500 :D

josiahsuarez
01-06-10, 08:55 PM
Just out of curiosity... how are you planning on using your sub?

mine is under my computer desk.

I have audioengine a2's. I'm very happy with them.They have a nice sound to them. Way better than the ones you linked.

those look very nice, definitely better than the Bose! :thumbsup:

Redeemed
01-06-10, 10:56 PM
mine is under my computer desk.

those look very nice, definitely better than the Bose! :thumbsup:

I don't think you understood him-

How do you plan to use your sub in conjunction with these new speakers you pan to buy?

FlakMagnet
01-07-10, 08:52 AM
Those audioengine speakers sound quite expensive... seeing as it's only a pair of speakers I mean.

Can't remember how much I paid for my Logitech 5.1 system, but don't think it was much more than that and it sounds great!

Toss3
01-07-10, 09:48 AM
Just get yourself a pair of active speakers if you don't plan on using a receiver - they will outperform any current pc speakers.

musman
01-07-10, 10:25 AM
Most "computer speakers" are garbage. Look at some studio monitors. Most studio monitors are going to fare more accurate than general Best Buy computer speakers. I have a pair of KRK Rokit 8's and really like them. If you have a guitar center near you go listen to some.

CaptNKILL
01-07-10, 01:01 PM
I don't think you understood him-

How do you plan to use your sub in conjunction with these new speakers you pan to buy?

This.

I don't know how you can hook up a stand alone sub to a PC with a 2.0 speaker system.

Rakeesh
01-07-10, 01:18 PM
bose speakers are complete waste of money

This.

"Better advertising through research."

or

"Better sales through marketing."

Bose is not a company that produces good sound products, they're just a company that produces convincing ads. Go read up on reviews where they actually take bose speakers apart and analyze the materials they're made out of (hint: most of their speakers use paper cone drivers - yeah, they're that cheap.) Note they also don't ever call their "subwoofers" a subwoofer - primarily because this would in fact be false advertising. It varies by model but in several they call it an "acoustimass module" or a "bass module" but never a subwoofer because it isn't one.

Also this comment in the newegg review made me rofl:

Other Thoughts: The BOSE name has been and will continue to be highly regarded in the audio community. If you're on a budget for speakers and don't want a sub, these are a great deal.

What audio community? Pretty much every independent audio reviewer out there will say the same thing: You pay a lot more, for a lot less.

josiahsuarez
01-07-10, 01:37 PM
This.

I don't know how you can hook up a stand alone sub to a PC with a 2.0 speaker system.

oh I see, I connect it with a Y cable and mini=phono adapter to the center channel output of the PC. then I also have the center channel output running into the speakers in my LCD screen, although you can't really hear those wimpy things over the other speakers.

Rakeesh
01-07-10, 01:39 PM
oh I see, I connect it with a Y cable and mini=phono adapter to the center channel output of the PC. then I also have the center channel output running into the speakers in my LCD screen, although you can't really hear those wimpy things over the other speakers.

You don't have a sound card that has a dedicated LFE channel? Either way you definitely don't want the sub getting what is meant to go to the center speaker. The two are meant for the exact opposite purpose, your sub will sound very weak if you do that.

CaptNKILL
01-07-10, 02:00 PM

What about rear speakers?

Generally, you only get 5.1 channels, 4 channels or 2 channels from sound card. I don't think there are any options for a sub woofer channel without 5.1 or 7.1 speaker set ups. What you're describing would be like 3.1 or something.

You'll get much better sound quality by not mixing and matching sets like that. If you have a good powered sub and you want to use it for your PC, you'd probably be better off with a decent stereo receiver with a sub output. I definitely wouldn't use the speakers in your monitor either. They'll just mix crappy sound in with what your speakers are putting out. It'll just make it sound worse.

Rakeesh
01-07-10, 03:15 PM
Yeah he's right, you aren't intending on using your monitor speaker at the same time as your desktop speakers are you? It'll be constantly annoying in FPS games because sounds will often be different depending on the direction you're facing.

You can do a 2.1 setup though. The .1 just means you have a dedicated LFE channel. I think ds3d would support such a setup no problem, I don't know if most sound card drivers can though.

CaptNKILL
01-07-10, 03:33 PM
Yeah he's right, you aren't intending on using your monitor speaker at the same time as your desktop speakers are you? It'll be constantly annoying in FPS games because sounds will often be different depending on the direction you're facing.

You can do a 2.1 setup though. The .1 just means you have a dedicated LFE channel. I think ds3d would support such a setup no problem, I don't know if most sound card drivers can though.

2.1 speaker systems don't have a discrete sub woofer input. They just call them 2.1 because they come with a sub. I've never seen one that used anything other than a standard stereo connector and then used a crossover to send the lows to the sub and the highs to the satellites.

There may be some 2.1 speaker systems that have a dedicated sub channel, but like you said, sounds cards don't support it unless you're using 5.1.

Rakeesh
01-07-10, 03:38 PM
2.1 speaker systems don't have a discrete sub woofer input. They just call them 2.1 because they come with a sub. I've never seen one that used anything other than a standard stereo connector and then used a crossover to send the lows to the sub and the highs to the satellites.

There may be some 2.1 speaker systems that have a dedicated sub channel, but like you said, sounds cards don't support it unless you're using 5.1.

I know with my setup (onkyo tx-sr605 receiver) I can turn off all but the left, right, and lfe channels. The receiver can then just downmix from 5.1/7.1 and pass through the lfe channel. I have mine connected with an HDMI sound card though, so virtually all of the processing is done in my receiver alone.

Redeemed
01-07-10, 05:14 PM
I know with my setup (onkyo tx-sr605 receiver) I can turn off all but the left, right, and lfe channels. The receiver can then just downmix from 5.1/7.1 and pass through the lfe channel. I have mine connected with an HDMI sound card though, so virtually all of the processing is done in my receiver alone.

I'd be pretty surprised if you cannot disable the sub out on that receiver. Most systems allow for using the fronts as subs- meaning disable the sub pre-out and have the lows directed to the front speakers. If you have a dedicated sub then it only makes sense to use that but disabling the LFE channel should be doable...

Rakeesh
01-07-10, 05:34 PM
I'd be pretty surprised if you cannot disable the sub out on that receiver. Most systems allow for using the fronts as subs- meaning disable the sub pre-out and have the lows directed to the front speakers. If you have a dedicated sub then it only makes sense to use that but disabling the LFE channel should be doable...

Yeah you can do that. This receiver allows you to turn on/off the center, left/right, rearleft/rearright, backleft/backright, and lfe channels. It'll then automatically downmix or crossover depending on what it receives and what you have the speakers set for (or just do no processing at all if put in "direct" mode.)

josiahsuarez
01-08-10, 01:21 AM
You don't have a sound card that has a dedicated LFE channel? Either way you definitely don't want the sub getting what is meant to go to the center speaker. The two are meant for the exact opposite purpose, your sub will sound very weak if you do that.

yeah there's an LFE out, but oddly enough that produces very weak bass. using the other output (I think it's just the normal stereo output actually, not center channel) produces MUCH more powerful bass.

CaptNKILL
01-08-10, 04:21 AM
What do you have your speakers set to in windows and in your sound card's drivers? 2 channel, 5.1, etc.

Revs
01-08-10, 04:28 AM
http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Mordaunt-Short-Aviano-1/

My mate has an older version of these. You'd have to hear them to believe how good they sound, especially for the money. But FFS get yourself a decent centre speaker, too :). In fact, just get the Z-5500's and be done with it! :p

a12ctic
01-08-10, 10:31 AM
Those audioengine speakers sound quite expensive... seeing as it's only a pair of speakers I mean.

Can't remember how much I paid for my Logitech 5.1 system, but don't think it was much more than that and it sounds great!

The audioengine speakers are a much different product than you will get from logitech or creative. They're affordable audiophile desktop speakers.

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/1207ae/#