PDA

View Full Version : Should enemies be able to surrender in video games?

ragejg
01-07-10, 06:08 PM
I was thinking about this a couple weeks ago... I thought it'd be cool if you could, in an FPS, turn a corner and have your gun aimed at a guy before he raises his weapon, and get him to submit... It'd add some realism. There's lots to consider if adding something like this to a game, however.

Anyway, here's a story on this from kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/5442727/should-enemies-be-able-to-surrender-in-video-games

:afro:

nekrosoft13
01-07-10, 06:10 PM
true, there should be that option. soldier of fortune did that, no one decided to follow

bob saget
01-07-10, 06:11 PM
In multiplayer, you'd get raped. It's a cool concept for single player, if enemy AI could drop guns and pick them up, and interact with the world in non-scripted ways.

NarcissistZero
01-07-10, 06:14 PM
*hands up*

"I surrender!"

*headshot*

ViN86
01-07-10, 06:16 PM
I was thinking about this a couple weeks ago... I thought it'd be cool if you could, in an FPS, turn a corner and have your gun aimed at a guy before he raises his weapon, and get him to submit... It'd add some realism. There's lots to consider if adding something like this to a game, however.

Anyway, here's a story on this from kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/5442727/should-enemies-be-able-to-surrender-in-video-games

:afro:

Metal Gear Solid 2 did that. Then you knock them out or shoot them with a dart gun.

bob saget
01-07-10, 06:31 PM
*hands up*

"I surrender!"

*headshot*

precisely.

Drolfrawd
01-07-10, 06:39 PM
What then............ Hold hands and skip of to base camp! bizarre

HiCZoK4
01-07-10, 06:52 PM
It worked in Swat games.
I always preferred to make em surrender in swat IV

Mr. Hunt
01-07-10, 07:16 PM
Guess Kotaku never played MGS2-4...

Noriega
01-07-10, 07:56 PM
kotaku is shyyt but

AI should have their rights too! Just like dead pork meat have!

CaptNKILL
01-07-10, 08:15 PM
I just thought of something that'd be interesting.

If capturing enemies rather than killing them allowed you to get information from them which would add things to your map that you would normally have to find on your own. For example, if they patrol an area and you grab them and force them to surrender, everything on their patrol route should be mapped out in detail.

This would be an amazing addition to a Crysis sequel.

supra
01-07-10, 09:14 PM
It worked in Swat games.

ya worked well in swat4

i always got deadly force point deduction :D

Zenoth
01-07-10, 09:55 PM
Weren't some of the aliens in Duke Nukem 3D surrendering sometimes? And although it's old I still remember some 16-Bit era platformers in which enemies would surrender such as in Judge Dredd and Black Thorne (my memories are very far away when it comes to Black Thorne but I'm pretty sure some of those ugly Orcs would surrender if they lost their gun, or perhaps it was another very similar game). The thing is that the concept itself has been done in the past and it was fun when well implemented, but it is indeed not happening anymore since... well... since a very long time.

CaptNKILL
01-07-10, 10:24 PM
Weren't some of the aliens in Duke Nukem 3D surrendering sometimes? And although it's old I still remember some 16-Bit era platformers in which enemies would surrender such as in Judge Dredd and Black Thorne (my memories are very far away when it comes to Black Thorne but I'm pretty sure some of those ugly Orcs would surrender if they lost their gun, or perhaps it was another very similar game). The thing is that the concept itself has been done in the past and it was fun when well implemented, but it is indeed not happening anymore since... well... since a very long time.

I don't think it was Blackthorne. Though there were places where you could free slaves if I remember correctly.

It also wasn't Flashback. And I don't think Another World\Out of this World had that either since the guns vaporized people with a single hit.

Maybe one of the Oddworld games?

Zenoth
01-07-10, 11:37 PM
I don't think it was Blackthorne. Though there were places where you could free slaves if I remember correctly.

It also wasn't Flashback. And I don't think Another World\Out of this World had that either since the guns vaporized people with a single hit.

Maybe one of the Oddworld games?

Hmmm, possibly, yeah, I'm still trying to remember that other platformer in which enemies surrendered... I thought it was Black Thorne but the more I think about it and the more I believe it wasn't it, indeed, but I'm pretty certain that it was based on a fantasy realm with orcs and trolls... or maybe it was "strange" creatures nonetheless, or... not... it's so far away in my memories, but I mentioned Judge Dredd because I played it about two years ago or so and I clearly remember enemies surrendering to Judge and you can arrest them when they do, then there's a flying platform coming out of the "sky" down to the surrendered foe and transports him somewhere, or you have the choice to kill them.

EDIT: I just remembered about other games though, not that one platformer from older gaming era but more recently in the Jedi Knight series, I'm pretty sure that one of them (Outcast?) had surrendering enemies, along with Fallout or Fallout 2 (I haven't played those in years but I still own them, I might give them a try sometime just for fun) and in Assassin's Creed I believe, either the original or the sequel (or both) since I remember seeing a video of it on YouTube in which some random guard surrendered to the player when he saw another guard near him being killed, so the surrendering concept in gaming certainly isn't new and has been "tried" a couple of times already, although I agree that it doesn't happen often enough (at least if well done, I mean). And, additionally, the S.W.A.T. series had surrendering foes/terrorists/rebels and whatever people took the hostages, in fact those games relied on that for mission success, the less kills you "caused" and the better results you had, just like in real life basically, they're SWAT teams so yeah, S.W.A.T. 3 Close Quarter Battles more specifically was great for that (I own it, and played it a lot back in the days).

mastervampire
01-08-10, 04:12 AM
Perfect Dark (n64 and the soon 360 arcade version)

If u shot a gun out of an enemys hand they would put their hands up in the air and surrender.

LydianKnight
01-08-10, 05:41 AM
interesting topic... but is it really worth the effort? maybe, maybe not.

the vast majority of FPS have the enemies going against you in a kamikaze style, that's not very credible, just imagine how poor that is, would be far better to include some parameters like stress, fear, or any kind of psychological effect, that would make enemy AI reactions more realistic, like an enemy being in fear, dropping his/her weapon and running like crazy, stumbling, dropping an armed grenade and making his/her squad blow to pieces, or the opposite, as in nature every endangered creature tends to attack fiercely once surrounded as a last chance of survival.

surrender is a strange option for a FPS, but should be interesting...

Crow_Nest
01-08-10, 10:15 AM
You could do that in jedi knight 2 and jedi academy. The stormtroopers would just raise their hands up once their unarmed.

DiscipleDOC
01-08-10, 10:18 AM
Does it make a difference? It's a game. What would be the point of NOT totally dominating an opponent?

Capt. Picard
01-08-10, 10:21 AM
I'd like to disarm a badguy and then bitchslap him around a bit.

Kakeshoma
01-08-10, 11:05 AM
*hands up*

"I surrender!"

*headshot*

well.. thats what makes it fun right?:captnkill:

It worked in Swat games.

Same here, but if should work right they will have to be able to consider the chance of winning a fight and other conditions. And I believe thats pretty much impossible per today..

But when it can be done realistically... hex yeah!:headexplode: