PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Ward accepts bribe

Pages : [1] 2

Kakeshoma
01-08-10, 09:11 AM
Infinity Ward has been payed by MS to release the DLC for Modern Warfare 2 to Xbox 360 exclusive, before releasing to PS3 and PC.
So they only offer prestige (with NV goggles) version to Xbox 360, and now they release DLC to 360 first...
IW Fail yet again.
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17133/39/
What do yall think?

Revs
01-08-10, 09:20 AM
That's a bit messed up TBH. IW have let themselves down :thumbdwn:

DiscipleDOC
01-08-10, 09:23 AM
How is this a bribe though? A bribe is something that is illegal, so what have MS done that was illegal in this case?

|MaguS|
01-08-10, 09:51 AM
They did the same thing with the original Modern Warfare... The X360 got the DLC first. It's business, just like how MS paid to get the GTA4 DLC, they paid for the Modern Warfare DLC.

six_storm
01-08-10, 09:58 AM
Pretty shatty, but hey, I don't own MW2 yet. Waiting for the price to drop considerably. ;)

Crow_Nest
01-08-10, 10:01 AM
Link doesnt work.

XDanger
01-08-10, 10:06 AM
The 360 doesnt haz BD, They have to do everything they can.

H3avyM3tal
01-08-10, 10:17 AM
Prestige was available for the ps3 from day 1. It was never 360 exclusive.

Mr. Hunt
01-08-10, 11:18 AM
Prestige was available for the ps3 from day 1. It was never 360 exclusive.

Lol yeah... I have the prestige edition for PS3, so I have no idea what this guy is talking about.

bacon12
01-08-10, 12:46 PM
Reason why people say MS is helping to destroy PC gaming.

vgame64
01-08-10, 01:26 PM
How is this a bribe though? A bribe is something that is illegal, so what have MS done that was illegal in this case?

Main Entry: 1bribe
Pronunciation: \ˈbrīb\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, morsel given to a beggar, bribe, from Anglo-French, morsel
Date: 15th century

1 : money or favor given or promised in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust
2 : something that serves to induce or influence

Doesn't say anything about being illegal or not...

DiscipleDOC
01-08-10, 02:56 PM
Main Entry: 1bribe
Pronunciation: \ˈbrīb\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, morsel given to a beggar, bribe, from Anglo-French, morsel
Date: 15th century

1 : money or favor given or promised in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust
2 : something that serves to induce or influence

Doesn't say anything about being illegal or not...

Accepting bribes ARE illegal.

vgame64
01-08-10, 03:07 PM
Accepting bribes ARE illegal.

OT Semantics Discussion: Applying definition 2 (something that serves to induce or influence)...[this being money] making Infinity Ward favour Microsoft's platform using $$ is ultimately functioning as a bribe and is legal. That is how the business world functions. You can call it what you want...financially prudent business maneuver if you will...but it is ultimately a bribe. I see what you are saying...bribery is a crime...and seeing as this is a legal incentive, it is not technically a bribe...but that is just arguing semantics and drawing the discussion away from the fact that Infinity Ward accepted money from Microsoft which acted as a bribe for IW to favour Microsoft's platform. :afro:

Now aside from arguing semantics...I do think this is a bit shameful for IW. Gamers paid the same $60 regardless of platform (excluding portables) and they should all be given the same opportunity to purchase extended content and prolong the life of their purchase IMO.

DiscipleDOC
01-08-10, 03:16 PM
OT Semantics Discussion: Applying definition 2 (something that serves to induce or influence)...[this being money] making Infinity Ward favour Microsoft's platform using $$ is ultimately functioning as a bribe and is legal. That is how the business world functions. You can call it what you want...financially prudent business maneuver if you will...but it is ultimately a bribe. I see what you are saying...bribery is a crime...and seeing as this is a legal incentive, it is not technically a bribe...but that is just arguing semantics and drawing the discussion away from the fact that Infinity Ward accepted money from Microsoft which acted as a bribe for IW to favour Microsoft's platform. :afro:

Now aside from arguing semantics...I do think this is a bit shameful for IW. Gamers paid the same $60 regardless of platform (excluding portables) and they should all be given the same opportunity to purchase extended content and prolong the life of their purchase IMO.

First, show me where MS is "bribing" IW (my original question), and then second show me where when someone is bribed in Corporate America (and is ultimately caught), they don't do time for said bribe.

Kakeshoma
01-08-10, 03:23 PM
Ok, dang. I didnt mean it like a real "bribe", but I do believe u caught my drift.
I meant that its wrong to make a deal to release content to one platform when its probably ready for all three, its unethical upon other gamers.
vgame64, u got it right:p

Sry bout the Prestige thing, was a lil to quick there, still bad they left it out for PC tho.

vgame64
01-08-10, 03:24 PM
First, show me where MS is "bribing" IW (my original question), and then second show me where when someone is bribed in Corporate America (and is ultimately caught), they don't do time for said bribe.

Well I said I didn't want to argue, but it looks like you didn't fully read or comprehend what I wrote.

The OP stated Microsoft paid IW. That is what I am calling a bribe. I wrote that the money is not technically a bribe, but it is serving the same purpose to influence.

I am not arguing with your statement that if IW was indeed bribed, it would be illegal.

Now I am going out to enjoy the world away from my computer and get some food, I suggest you do the same instead of looking to argue with a moot point of semantics that should not be receiving this much attention.

DiscipleDOC
01-08-10, 03:26 PM
Ok, dang. I didnt mean it like a real "bribe", but I do believe u caught my drift.
I meant that its wrong to make a deal to release content to one platform when its probably ready for all three, its unethical upon other gamers.
vgame64, u got it right:p

Sry bout the Prestige thing, was a lil to quick there, still bad they left it out for PC tho.

You are absolutely right, Kake. It is unethical, but nothing was illegal about the transaction that took place. Sony has done this for years, and Microsoft is doing it now. Do I like it? No....but there's nothing illegal (ie a bribe) that has taken place.

And no, Kakae, that last statement was not directed to you.

vgame64
01-08-10, 03:29 PM
You are absolutely right, Kake. It is unethical, but nothing was illegal about the transaction that took place. Sony has done this for years, and Microsoft is doing it now. Do I like it? No....but there's nothing illegal (it a bribe) that has taken place.

And no, Kakae, that last statement was not directed to you.

OK looks like we are all on the same page now. Basically, I found the transaction unethical. :D

EDIT: OK now I am really leaving to go out :)

DiscipleDOC
01-08-10, 03:40 PM
nvm...it ain't worth it.

Sazar
01-08-10, 03:55 PM
The 360 doesnt haz BD, They have to do everything they can.

Exactly.

If it had BD like the Wii does, it would sell like hot-cakes :bleh:

NarcissistZero
01-08-10, 04:02 PM
I don't think bribes are always illegal... don't know where that came from. I can bribe my girlfriend to do things, in essence. The definition does not state it has to be an illegal act, just an influence.

Anyway, this was announced at E3 last year so I find it amusing a lot of people are surprised.

Lyme
01-08-10, 11:58 PM
Happens all the time by MS, Sony, Nintendo, nothing out of the usual here.

Zenoth
01-09-10, 12:01 AM
Illegal, no, immoral, certainly, and does business and capitalism cares about morality? Nope, such is how it works in our world.

knghtwhosaysni
01-09-10, 12:20 AM
Because having to wait a little bit to get some extra maps is going to take such a terrible toll on your lives :rolleyes: lol it's just a video game and IW is a business, get over it

When people complain about capitalism being immoral, it's usually stuff like Enron or finding loopholes to screw over customers or destroying the environment or being less than candid about the safety of a product or not caring about employee well-being or running individual people into debt with legal fees, not dumb stuff like this. Time to grow up, gamers

NarcissistZero
01-09-10, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't call it immoral in any way. Uncaring maybe, but not immoral.