PDA

View Full Version : Crayon Physics Deluxe - Pay what you want!

CaptNKILL
01-09-10, 02:55 AM
After the huge success of the "pay what you want" sale for World of Goo, the developer of Crayon Physics Deluxe is doing the same thing to celebrate the one year anniversary of their game.

http://www.crayonphysics.com/

I've been meaning to grab this for quite a while now, but somehow never got around to it. I donated $5 for it just now.

Its DRM free, easy to download and install, and offers extra online features if you register the game with your unique serial number.

This game is really cool. Try out the demo. If you like it, or you like independent games in general, help support these guys and this interesting sales model.

I think the sale that World of Goo had earned them around $100,000... yeah, one hundred grand in voluntary donations! And that's after all of the fees!

NarcissistZero
01-09-10, 04:39 AM
I bought it for $20 waaaaay back at my girlfriend's request. It's nice, the music is good... not an amazing game, but a good one.

The most interesting thing when World of Goo did this was the statistics they released afterwards. It showed the vast majority of people paid one penny, which is just sad.

CaptNKILL
01-09-10, 05:04 AM
I bought it for $20 waaaaay back at my girlfriend's request. It's nice, the music is good... not an amazing game, but a good one.

The most interesting thing when World of Goo did this was the statistics they released afterwards. It showed the vast majority of people paid one penny, which is just sad.

One cent was the most popular price point, but the majority of people spent well over that.

http://2dboy.com/2009/10/19/birthday-sale-results/

~40,000 people (70%) spent more than they had to to get the game.

~34,000 people (59%) spent 100 times as much ($1) or more to buy the game.

~3,000 people (5%) spent between $10 and $50 on a game they could have had for a penny.

It doesn't seem like much, but considering that PC gamers are often looked at as wanting everything for free, its definitely interesting.

Imagine if steam offered something like this for indy games after they'd been out for a while... with the price starting at $1, $5, etc depending on the complexity and "value" of the game. The games would sell insanely well and a large number of people would still pay more for them. I'm not saying this could possibly ever replace selling games for a set price, but after you've passed your sales peak, it seems like a great way to get everyone playing your games and awaiting your next project... and as World of Goo showed, $100,000 is kind of hard to ignore when it could have been no more than a few hundred dollars if they'd simply sold the game for a penny (ie, getting your game the same amount of exposure with a fraction of the return).

Toss3
01-09-10, 07:16 AM
Playing this on my phone(HTC HD2) and it's a blast! :)

LurkerLito
01-09-10, 09:53 AM
I'll pick this up before it ends, I just don't want to add another game to this months CC bill, as it is it probably reads mostly steam down the list followed by GoG, Impulse and D2D :).

bacon12
01-09-10, 09:58 AM

Why this upsets people I will never understand, and I got into a pretty heated discussion on [H] when the numbers came out.

Those are sales that they would have never seen even if they lost money from the cc transaction. I hope these guys learned from that mistake and make paying with pp or cc a minimum or add on the transaction fees so they don't lose money.

nekrosoft13
01-09-10, 12:05 PM
will buy this, prices of indie games on steam are to high

methimpikehoses
01-09-10, 12:17 PM
I'm in, I played the demo for this a while back and it was fun.

Quick420
01-09-10, 01:58 PM
Make double jump ramps for the demo.Travis P ftw;) They should have called it "Simon":D

NarcissistZero
01-09-10, 02:29 PM
Why this upsets people I will never understand, and I got into a pretty heated discussion on [H] when the numbers came out.

Those are sales that they would have never seen even if they lost money from the cc transaction. I hope these guys learned from that mistake and make paying with pp or cc a minimum or add on the transaction fees so they don't lose money.

I just said it was sad, it is sad people would pay a penny for someone's hard work like that.

lumpyhed
01-10-10, 06:57 AM
i paid 10 dorrah!

lee63
01-10-10, 07:54 AM
Ill get this for the kids...they'll love it.

FastRedPonyCar
01-14-10, 10:40 AM
Will dl when I get home.

in the mean time...

http://fantasticcontraption.com/

DiscipleDOC
01-14-10, 10:44 AM
Is this what bigman meant when he talks about playing with crayons?