PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Infinity Ward developing an MMO (no, MW3)

nekrosoft13
01-09-10, 01:10 PM
Following on from today's rumor that Infinity Ward is working on a secret project and can't commit to Modern Warfare 3, some more gossip has found its way into our ears that might shed a little more light on the situation. According to our industry sources, Infinity Ward's new game will be an MMO.

We've gotten word that IW is hiring people from Sony Online Entertainment, one of which may be the lead designer of EverQuest II, and that a member of Blizzard employees may also be involved to help Infinity Ward get this new title off the ground. Our Intel seems to indicate that Call of Duty will continue as an annual franchise while IW runs this MMO alongside it.

It's not yet known if this MMO is based in the Call of Duty universe, although word of a CoD MMO has been floating around for a very long time. In any case, this is nothing but speculation at the moment, thought it's very interesting speculation indeed.

http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-infinity-ward-developing-an-mmo-159813.phtml

look, they found a better way to suck more money out

bacon12
01-09-10, 03:21 PM
Acti really wants to secure another cash cow like WOW. I don't know if this will be successful or not, but if its good for pc gaming then I don't care what ppl spend their money on each month.

K007
01-09-10, 08:32 PM
Why would they develop a MMO based on COD. It won't be out on the consoles and they know that's where the money is.

& i doubt anything like this will really work.

Not to mention with the stunt they did with MW2 PC, i doubt anyone will stay behind and support IW/Activision. I know i won't be.

Crow_Nest
01-10-10, 12:02 AM
Bobby needs the cash, not IW.

ST:DS9
01-10-10, 09:10 AM
Why would they develop a MMO based on COD. It won't be out on the consoles and they know that's where the money is.

Not to mention with the stunt they did with MW2 PC, i doubt anyone will stay behind and support IW/Activision. I know i won't be.

MW2 is still the #1 slot for Steam best seller. Even during the huge blowout sale that Steam was doing, MW2 never went below the #3 spot best seller. Analysts have said that MW2 PC version sold about 400,000-500,000 copies. MW2 outsold MW1 on the PC. IW/Activision still has massive support from the PC gamers.

MMO gaming is a very lucrative business. COD MMO for the PC only if done right, could make more money then any non mmo COD game made for all the platforms.

bramski
01-10-10, 10:09 AM
I've never played any MMO's like Warcraft, I didn't like the actual content with the fantasy theme but I can see the allure regarding the online social aspect. If IW brought out modern warfare themed MMO then I'd probably jump on it.

If it was an actual online dynamic warfare campaign where you could fly A10's Cobra's, F16's, or be a member of an M1 abrams Tank crew that was all part of a massive platoon working in conjunction with infantry then I'd subscribe regardless of the cost.

bacon12
01-10-10, 03:03 PM

Over 11 million @ $15 a month on wow, they would leave console players in the dust if they could make every PC game pay to play and get away with it.

nekrosoft13
01-10-10, 03:21 PM
+ the initial price of purchase + expansions.

|MaguS|
01-10-10, 03:28 PM
+ the initial price of purchase + expansions.

Don't forget the extra services they offer also like server changes, race/sex changes, and character renaming...

K007
01-11-10, 03:17 AM
fraction changes...