PDA

View Full Version : more accurate temp reading - BIOS or monitoring software?

greatcu1
07-04-03, 07:39 AM
I have a Asus P4T (RDRAM) mobo and P4 1.7(256k) CPU, and before I overclock my FSB, I want to make sure my temperatures are ok. However, the BIOS reports my CPU temp at 40C and the monitoring software that came with the mobo says 58C. Does anyone know which one is more reliable? 58C seems pretty hot to begin with. I don't want to anything extreme, but I'd like to overclock it by 10% or so (set FSB to 110).

Thanks for any input.

deejaya
07-04-03, 07:46 AM
You could try motherboard monitor (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) , it seems to be pretty accurate and has a ton of options.

MUYA
07-04-03, 07:50 AM
There is never really a correct/accurate measurement with bios or software monitoring, its always an approximation, of from plus or minus 4-5 degrees celcius from the reading shown. A more accurate would be get a direct measurement some how. There are some mods available that will let u do that but I am not entirely sure how you would go on about it though. :)

CPUs are rated to run at max temp of 90+ degrees...according to some tech dcuments but, you wouldn't want to run it at that temp though! :eek:

Cheers

MUYA

B&R
07-04-03, 04:25 PM
Try the newer or sometimes little bit older version of Asus probe. Worked for me.