PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Vsync.

Pages : [1] 2

HiCZoK4
01-12-10, 03:23 PM
Its like that. I have triple enabled in nvcp but I still think Vsync might slow games.

While I love smooth of 60fps vsync, I feel like some games have problem with it.
For example, older games were downing right to 30 when any below 60. Now games seems to override this problem and maintain any fps with Vsync still being enable.

But for Example In mirrors edge I think game is working a bit slower\more hitchy with vs enabled. Tried booth game and nvc options.

Is it only me recollecting vsync from past or games still have problem with it?

NarcissistZero
01-12-10, 04:20 PM
Triple-buffer is only for OpenGL according to nHancer, though I know some DX games use it like Left 4 Dead. Not sure what the deal with that is.

As for sluggishness it depends on the game, some games do feel sort of laggy with v-synch on. I never thought Mirror's Edge was one of those, but then the tearing was so terrible I never played it with it off in the first place.

Some games, oddly, feel more smooth with vsynch ON, I have seen this a few times. I know Halo 2 is one of them.

Armed_Baboon
01-12-10, 04:32 PM
I rarely play a game with vsync off these days. ever since doom 3 really.

CaptNKILL
01-12-10, 08:23 PM
Get Rivatuner with D3D Overrider. I have it running at all times and use it to force Vsync and triple buffering in all games. There isn't any reason not to if your graphics card is up to the task of providing good frame rates in all of your games.

If any games don't work with D3D Overrider running, you can add profiles for those games in D3D Overrider to stop it from messing with those games.

Crow_Nest
01-12-10, 11:11 PM
I never use vsync, i never notice any screen tearing my entire life. And in L4D2 vsync causes mouse lag for some reason.

Shaysite
01-13-10, 12:02 AM
Vsync is a necessity for me also.

HiCZoK4
01-13-10, 02:06 AM
So i guess I will set it to override in cp for all games becouse I also hate tearing :lol:

nekrosoft13
01-13-10, 02:11 AM
Triple-buffer is only for OpenGL according to nHancer, though I know some DX games use it like Left 4 Dead. Not sure what the deal with that is.

in OpenGL you can enable Triple Buffering in all games

in DirectX, you can't force enable TB in driver (by DX design), TB can be enabled in game, or "hacked" in by D3D Overrider (punkbuster can detect it as a hack)

jlippo
01-13-10, 03:15 AM
Vsync and triple buffering and 0-2 pre-render limit is pretty good combination.

HiCZoK4
01-13-10, 03:34 AM
Vsync and triple buffering and 0-2 pre-render limit is pretty good combination.

I never understood the difference beetwen anything than default 3 value.

jlippo
01-13-10, 07:29 AM
I never understood the difference beetwen anything than default 3 value.
The value means the amount of frames possible in the command queue, meaning that CPU can send data for next 3 frames for GPU to process.

Too long queue can cause things like delayed mouse movement, decreasing the buffering amount in these cases results in faster visible reaction. (Screen doesn't have to display up to 3 images before the change is shown.)
The bad thing in low number is that sometimes GPU may be fiddling thumbs waiting CPU to send it more to do, but usually this is not as big problem as unresponsive controls.

Ninjaman09
01-13-10, 09:01 AM
Dead Space on PC has horrible slowdown with vsync on (for me at least) and oddly no screen tearing with it off. Dunno why.

DiscipleDOC
01-13-10, 09:08 AM
This may be a dumb question, but I need to know: I always use vsync. Is there a way to get over 60 fps with vsync enabled? I don't like the screen tearing crap either....

Ninjaman09
01-13-10, 09:41 AM
This may be a dumb question, but I need to know: I always use vsync. Is there a way to get over 60 fps with vsync enabled? I don't like the screen tearing crap either....

No, Vsync caps your framerate to match your monitor's vertical refresh (which is 60hz on LCD monitors). Though your eyes probably won't be able to notice anyway. :)

Crow_Nest
01-13-10, 09:43 AM
How does screen tearing look like anyway? I dont think ive ever seen it before so ive no idea. Or are my eyes special?

DiscipleDOC
01-13-10, 09:52 AM
How does screen tearing look like anyway? I dont think ive ever seen it before so ive no idea. Or are my eyes special?

:lol:

The best way to describe tearing is to view a graphic intense game w/out vsync enabled.

Crow_Nest
01-13-10, 10:04 AM
:lol:

The best way to describe tearing is to view a graphic intense game w/out vsync enabled.

I always run crysis without vsync. I dont notice any tearing on screen, just bad framerate and partially loading graphics at the most, but not anymore with my 5850. :confused:

Ninjaman09
01-13-10, 10:06 AM
DOUBLE POSTTT

Ninjaman09
01-13-10, 10:07 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=screen+tearing+example

Sorry, always wanted to do that. :p

HiCZoK4
01-13-10, 11:29 AM
This is great:D Now I am going to post this for every dump question!

Crow_Nest
01-13-10, 12:06 PM
Oh so thats what it is! I never notice them in-game though. But i used to get them a lot in my screenshots when i was playing Jedi Academy years ago during the 9800 Pro/GeForce FX days.

CaptNKILL
01-13-10, 12:16 PM
Actually, I don't think it shows up in screen shots. :lol:

Ninjaman09
01-13-10, 12:34 PM
Oh so thats what it is! I never notice them in-game though. But i used to get them a lot in my screenshots when i was playing Jedi Academy years ago during the 9800 Pro/GeForce FX days.

Yeah it wouldn't show up in a screenshot, it's caused by the difference in timing of the framerate and your monitor's refresh rate. Still images you may see are probably just doctored to imitate the effect. However, you can see some screen tearing in video recordings of games, especially on review sites like Gametrailers. Giantbomb also makes a point of noting whether in-video tearing is caused by the game or the capture device (usually the capture device).

Crow_Nest
01-13-10, 01:30 PM
I could have sworn ive seen them a million times in my screenshots... Then again it could have been something else, and i always had vsync disabled back then.. I dont notice screen tearing in GT's videos as well, maybe my eye doesnt notice it enough.

Ninjaman09
01-13-10, 01:45 PM
If you want to see bad screen tearing just load up Doom 3 without VSync enabled. Awesome framerates and horrendous tearing. :)