PDA

View Full Version : Settingup Network, plz help!

LiquidX
07-04-03, 01:35 PM
I want to set up a network to share DSL among my family living downstairs in a building. I have been reading and found out what equipment I need and the basic of hooking it up, but there are few questions I could not find.

1. Does my computer have to be on all the time for them to share the dsl? If so are there any routers that have a feature so they can just turn on their pc and be up and running without mine on? Can someone even go a step further and recommend a model and brand?

2. Here is my list of what to buy, but am I missing anything or is there anything I should look out for?
a. A wired Router I hear good things about Linksy's

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004SB92.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004SB92/qid=1057290829/sr=5-3/ref=cm_lm_asin/102-4285005-6050544?v=glance

b. A 50 feet spool of ethernet cable to run to the other pc
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004Z5XN.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

I have all the other basics already such and my dsl modem from my provider and ethernet cards on both pcs.

Smokey
07-04-03, 01:52 PM
Im not 100% here, but im pretty sure this is what I have read.

If you are going to use a router, and plug the DSL into that, then the modem will be independent of your pc. As long as the router and modem stay on, either pc can use the modem without the need of the host pc being on. Im on on a much more basic setup that Ive benn using for the last 4 years, and that modem direct in my pc, and I use a hub for my network. Using just a hub, my pc has to be on for my wife to use the internet. When setting up internet sharing, I see an option there that each pc has access to a broadband connection, Im guessing this is for like what you want to do with a router, where evey pc on the network you give internet access to, can login independently to your ISP?

As I said, im not 100%, this is just the basics from what I have read, and first hand use of basic networking, if Im wrong, someone can correct me, then we both learn something ;)

stncttr908
07-04-03, 02:14 PM
1. As far as I know, no, it doesn't.

2. Linksys makes a great router. Built in firewall, the works. :thumbsup:

The Baron
07-04-03, 02:16 PM
1. No.
2. Linksys makes some excellent routers. However, calling them a firewall is something of a misnomer, considering they rely on the fundamental nature of NAT as a firewall.

Bubba
07-04-03, 02:24 PM
For #1- You'll only need to have the pc on that you'll be using at any given instant (i.e.- your "main" pc can be off, and another on the network can be on), but your dsl modem and your router will need to be on anytime anyone wants to access the web.

That's a great price you got there for that router. Also, wireless is getting much better these days. I'd advise considering that option if you're not lloking forward to wiring all that cable. Linksys BEFW11S4 is a good buy (802.11a and b).

best of luck. Setting that up should be a cinch. Linksys has good documentation with their products.

b00bie
07-04-03, 02:26 PM
1. No

2. Even though I don't find the Linksys very nice in it's appearance, I think Linksys and D-Link make some good basic routers. ;)

b00bie
07-04-03, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Bubba
For #1- You'll only need to have the pc on that you'll be using at any given instant (i.e.- your "main" pc can be off, and another on the network can be on), but your dsl modem and your router will need to be on anytime anyone wants to access the web.

That's a great price you got there for that router. Also, wireless is getting much better these days. I'd advise considering that option if you're not lloking forward to wiring all that cable. Linksys BEFW11S4 is a good buy (802.11a and b).

best of luck. Setting that up should be a cinch. Linksys has good documentation with their products.

I wouldn't use a wireless router unless I had a notebook comp that I would move around from time to time and want that connection. Yes they are getting better, but wired routers in my opinion still dominate.

If you'd be considering a reless router, read this article (http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid7_gci846091,00.html).

The Baron
07-04-03, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't use a wireless router unless I had a notebook comp that I would move around from time to time and want that connection. Yes they are getting better, but wired routers in my opinion still dominate.
Meh. REALLY depends on what you use it for. If you don't transfer large files from PC to PC and use it primarily for internet sharing, save yourself the hassle of running cable and buy wireless. It's what I do, and I can't tell a difference between Ether and wireless for just using the net. But, if you're going to transfer videos and such back and forth, 100Mbps Ether is the better deal.

b00bie
07-04-03, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
It's what I do, and I can't tell a difference between Ether and wireless for just using the net.

You play multiplayer games on that thing too Baron? I'm wondering how that would go? ;)

deejaya
07-04-03, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by b00bie
You play multiplayer games on that thing too Baron? I'm wondering how that would go? ;)

Dunno how reliable this is cos I haven't got any wireless NIC's yet, but I was told within 5ms of a wired Ethernet. Prolly depends on distance, walls.

The Baron
07-04-03, 03:23 PM
Pinging my router comes back within 2ms.

So, it's entirely neglegible.

But, packet loss is another story. Search for posts by me containing 802.11b in this forum to see the perils of that and how to fix it. :p

LiquidX
07-04-03, 07:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the help it helped greatly.

Meh. REALLY depends on what you use it for. If you don't transfer large files from PC to PC and use it primarily for internet sharing, save yourself the hassle of running cable and buy wireless. It's what I do, and I can't tell a difference between Ether and wireless for just using the net. But, if you're going to transfer videos and such back and forth, 100Mbps Ether is the better deal.

But after reading barons post I am thinking of looking at the wireless route to save the hassle of drilling holes. I dont plan on really transfering any files to them so it is an idea. The thing is I dont want the wireless feature for my self being that I am heavely into FPS multiplayer gaming. Can I still run a wireless setup and still connect my pc to it so I get no wireless hassles for myself?

Thanks again.
:)

The Baron
07-04-03, 07:44 PM
I played UT2k3 on a wireless connection--couldn't tell a difference between that and Ethernet.

UDawg
07-06-03, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by b00bie
1. No

2. Even though I don't find the Linksys very nice in it's appearance, I think Linksys and D-Link make some good basic routers. ;)

I have had problem with D-Link and their ports. They seem to be loose. I have gone through two of them and no it is not my fittings. Just some thing to keep in mind when getting a D-Link. I am by no means saying they are bad but this is just my expierence.

UDawg
07-06-03, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by LiquidX
Thanks everyone for the help it helped greatly.

But after reading barons post I am thinking of looking at the wireless route to save the hassle of drilling holes. I dont plan on really transfering any files to them so it is an idea. The thing is I dont want the wireless feature for my self being that I am heavely into FPS multiplayer gaming. Can I still run a wireless setup and still connect my pc to it so I get no wireless hassles for myself?

Thanks again.
:)

Cool now I can sit out side your place with my laptop and use ur DSL. :p ;) :D

The Baron
07-06-03, 12:27 AM
Cool now I can sit out side your place with my laptop and use ur DSL.
Well... yep. But probably not from the street--house sits pretty far back. :p

UDawg
07-06-03, 01:35 AM
Well... yep. But probably not from the street--house sits pretty far back. :p

LOL I've been in people bushes before.... :bleh: Did I just say that out loud?:o