PDA

View Full Version : NVNews Ventrilo Server

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ViN86
01-13-10, 09:28 AM
I was wondering if you guys would like an NVNews ventrilo server. I can create channels for any game you guys want as well as individual sub channels for each game.

Is this a good idea? Would people use something like this?

I just don't want it to be like the other servers I made. I hosted a few servers for about a week and no one joined :lol:

General Lee
01-13-10, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure...I do quite well with the in-game voice chat. What does Vent offer that isn't already provided by Steam/games?

ViN86
01-13-10, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure...I do quite well with the in-game voice chat. What does Vent offer that isn't already provided by Steam/games?

Just multiple channels (so you can see other people online and hop on and talk to them if you want) and better quality sound.

General Lee
01-13-10, 09:47 AM
I voted yes, but only because I would be willing to try it out. If it was more hassle than beneficial, I'd just go back to using in-game voice chat. When I'm playing TF2 or L4D2, I don't have time or the patience to fiddle with another program or settings. I'm too busy kicking ass. :D

ViN86
01-13-10, 09:51 AM
I voted yes, but only because I would be willing to try it out. If it was more hassle than beneficial, I'd just go back to using in-game voice chat. When I'm playing TF2 or L4D2, I don't have time or the patience to fiddle with another program or settings. I'm too busy kicking ass. :D

It just runs in the background. You can set a Push-to-Talk key just like in the game and you won't even realize it's running.

The main benefit is having channels and being able to move between them.

Redeemed
01-13-10, 10:02 AM
UDawg is obsessed with Vent... he keeps ragging on us to get it. I've no experience with it, however. And in-game seems to work just fine. At least thus far.

Ninjaman09
01-13-10, 10:08 AM
No, you guys all have specific voices in my mind, it would shatter my reality like a badly-cast book-to-movie adaptation.

Redeemed
01-13-10, 10:11 AM
No, you guys all have specific voices in my mind, it would shatter my reality like a badly-cast book-to-movie adaptation.

:lol:

ViN86
01-13-10, 10:11 AM

LOL

Bman212121
01-13-10, 10:13 AM

Very True.

six_storm
01-13-10, 10:18 AM
I'm game to try it out. Maybe my mic will be louder in vent versus in-game.

Let us know VIN!

ViN86
01-13-10, 10:23 AM
I want to try it out as well, I just don't want to put it up then have no one join :lol:

Also six, check my response in the L4D2 thread. You should get a clip-on mic for your 555's.

CaptnStubing
01-13-10, 10:41 AM

With Vent you are always connected with chat. When the game ends you dont' have to type to the person to figure out what map, game type or what you are going to do. You can just say it because as you know when you leave a l4d2 game you lose the voice chat if the game lobby is left. You can sit a bs with ur buddies and it sounds great. Other people who are not in your game can join your chat channel.

I would use this if you set it up Vin.

grey_1
01-13-10, 11:04 AM
Is setting it up in Win7 less troublesome than Vista? I was ready to torch my 'puter after trying to keep it working in Vista.

Smee
01-13-10, 11:20 AM

Vent is much clearer than in-game Lee
The in-game L4D2 chat makes you sound like a heavily reverbed drunk redneck.

:D

ViN86
01-13-10, 12:08 PM
Is setting it up in Win7 less troublesome than Vista? I was ready to torch my 'puter after trying to keep it working in Vista.

I just installed the server and client on Win 7 and it took about 15 sec total.

CaptnStubing
01-13-10, 12:28 PM
Yeah vent did not work well for a lot of people in Vista.

PM me the IP and port and the others that will use it. I'll pop on tonight around 6:30 or so. Have to tow my car to the shop after work. Damn starter....

six_storm
01-13-10, 12:34 PM
I just installed the server and client on Win 7 and it took about 15 sec total.

Give me the IP!!

Redeemed
01-13-10, 01:21 PM
Is it free? If not, how much does it cost?

Mr. Hunt
01-13-10, 01:24 PM

It costs me 100 dollars a month, I will put up my paypal info for donations later.

ViN86
01-13-10, 01:29 PM
It costs me 100 dollars a month, I will put up my paypal info for donations later.

:rofl

Yes it's free.

I will host the server around 5:30PM tonight and I will post when it's up. I will post the server info then as well.

Mr. Hunt
01-13-10, 01:33 PM
:rofl

Yes it's free.

I will host the server around 5:30PM tonight and I will post when it's up. I will post the server info then as well.

Free for you, because I pay 100 dollars a month for you to have your vent server. Man, you should show a little respect to the guy spending 100 dollars a month for you to have your cyber sessions.

CaptnStubing
01-13-10, 02:36 PM

U don't have a mic you fool! Get our self a rich boyfriend to buy you a mic.

six_storm
01-13-10, 02:50 PM
Installed Vent 3.0 on my gaming PC so I'm ready to go.

General Lee
01-13-10, 02:58 PM

I sound exactly like you'd think. See following messages. :lol:

With Vent you are always connected with chat. When the game ends you dont' have to type to the person to figure out what map, game type or what you are going to do. You can just say it because as you know when you leave a l4d2 game you lose the voice chat if the game lobby is left. You can sit a bs with ur buddies and it sounds great. Other people who are not in your game can join your chat channel.

I would use this if you set it up Vin.

That sounds good. I'll try it. See following messages.

Maybe I shouldn't bother with it. I have Vista 64. I'll try it anyways.

Vent is much clearer than in-game Lee
The in-game L4D2 chat makes you sound like a heavily reverbed drunk redneck.

Just what exactly do you think I am? A sober businessman? :rofl

U don't have a mic you fool! Get our self a rich boyfriend to buy you a mic.

I think he does have one...doesn't he?