PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA GF100 Previews

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Vardant
03-04-10, 10:08 AM
I'll borrow this from B3D.
Some people report the base clock (800) and some report the DDR clock (1600) and some report the effective data transfer (3200). It's not a big deal.

Revs
03-04-10, 10:21 AM
An 800 base clock would be pretty low compared to the 5870's 1200 clock.

lee63
03-04-10, 11:05 AM
He works for ATi ??????

Enrico_be
03-04-10, 11:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpdPSZB8A8E (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpdPSZB8A8E&feature=sub)

Tom Petersen Director of Technical Mkt at NVIDIA describes how the performance of GeForce GTX 480 compares to existing solution. We highlight the different aspects of the benchmark and how the new GeForce excels in tessellation. Tom also offers a quick peak at how 3DVision Surround is pushing PC gaming forward

Interesting :cool:

Fotis
03-04-10, 11:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpdPSZB8A8E (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpdPSZB8A8E&feature=sub)

Interesting :cool:

Kind of interesting why he doesnt reveal the final benchmark numbers though.:p

shadow001
03-04-10, 11:45 AM
He works for ATi ??????

Nope...

shadow001
03-04-10, 11:52 AM
It has nothing to do with the brand. Did the same thing with the 9800GX2. Went back to a 8800GTX until the GTX 280 was released. I wasn't happy with the GX2 after a few weeks of testing. So why bother, performance isn't everything. Same thing happened with the 5970 just now ;)

Besides, since consoles are usually the lead platform for new games, PC versions don't get the treatment they deserve. So you don't need the fastest out there anymore. With the 5970 I usually had Crossfire disabled because Fraps didn't work correctly all the time, it was plenty fast with only 1 GPU. Also the single 280 I'm currently using is up to the task for the games that just came out over the last few weeks.

Maybe you should tell your employers at ATI to focus more on the driver quality outside of games, then I'd be happy to use one of your products.

Btw,you can't disable crossfire on a single HD5970 card for starters....Crossfire can only be disabled or enabled using multiple seperate cards together,not when everything is running with a single card.

What you can do,is disable Catalyst A.I.,but that brings the problem of disabling driver optimizations for games too,so it lowers performance.

Iruwen
03-04-10, 12:20 PM
It also reduces crashes as a positive side effect :p

shadow001
03-04-10, 12:29 PM

:p...Besides,slawter was complaining of issues he was having out of a gaming environment,not while gaming,so what the heck has crossfire got anything to do with it is beyond me,since the latest driver basically disable extra GPU's when running in 2D mode anyhow,running only on 1 GPU to save on power and lower noise now.

Ninja Prime
03-04-10, 01:22 PM

Yeah, I'm sure, considering in the last 3 years I've had about 3 crashes with ATI and about 300+ with NV. Yeah...

hell_of_doom227
03-04-10, 01:43 PM
HD5970 is a joke meaning in order for that **** to work properly with some new game you need to wait 2 months for driver release. Whole CCC and ATI drivers are just crap. Fix one break 4 other things. Since i got these cards, guess what i don't even play games...that how good they are.

Man can't wait to get Fermi!!!!!

hell_of_doom227
03-04-10, 01:49 PM
:p...Besides,slawter was complaining of issues he was having out of a gaming environment,not while gaming,so what the heck has crossfire got anything to do with it is beyond me,since the latest driver basically disable extra GPU's when running in 2D mode anyhow,running only on 1 GPU to save on power and lower noise now.

Causing locking (computer freeze) with Everest and Stuttering all over the ****ing place. I had to disable that feature through registry.

shadow001
03-04-10, 01:50 PM
HD5970 is a joke meaning in order for that **** to work properly with some new game you need to wait 2 months for release. Whole CCC and ATI drivers are just crap. Fix one break 4 other things. Since i got these cards, guess what i don't even play games...that how good they are.

Man can't wait to get Fermi!!!!!

You didn't read the release notes for the 10.2 driver set aparently....Crossfire profiles can now be updated seperately from the main drivers themselves,so there's no more waiting 1+ month for crossfire support on newly released games anymore....

You can download a crossfire profile package directly from ATI's site now.

hell_of_doom227
03-04-10, 01:52 PM
You didn't read the release notes for the 10.2 driver set aparently....Crossfire profiles can now be updated seperately from the main drivers themselves,so there's no more waiting 1+ month for crossfire support on newly released games anymore....

You can download a crossfire profile package directly from ATI's site now.

They are useless for me cause i need to force AA , AF and other settings individually for each game like you can do with Forceware. They don't even tell you for what games profile is added. The cards will find its place into other machines, but for gaming wont be used. One is going to Media Center, they are good for streaming movies and videos. Another card is going to Brother who needs upgrade anyway.

shadow001
03-04-10, 01:55 PM
They are useless for me cause i need to force AA , AF and other settings individually for each game like you can do with Forceware. They don't even tell you for what games profile is added.

I've had no issue with forcing AA or AF thru the CCC at all....I actually keep it at 4X AA and 16AF for all games all the time,never bothering to use the in game options,even if they are there.

Johnny C
03-04-10, 04:34 PM
I've had no issue with forcing AA or AF thru the CCC at all....I actually keep it at 4X AA and 16AF for all games all the time,never bothering to use the in game options,even if they are there.

Wow someone with some sense......Geez I bet you could force 8XSSAA all the time and still have buttery smooth gameplay......because your system is overkill.

Iruwen
03-04-10, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I'm sure, considering in the last 3 years I've had about 3 crashes with ATI and about 300+ with NV. Yeah...

Which is an accurate and representative number of course. Are you trying to compete with hell_of_doom227 in being an idiot?

/e: being a biased troll is ok, I'm too, but at least try to be reasonable... it is a well known fact that ATI has driver problems, I already described this in detail some pages back. I'm not the only one who noted that (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3448&p=12). This was more than year ago and things slowly get better (regularly updated profiles being a great improvement), but there's still a lot of work to do. This doesn't mean there are no driver problems with Nvidia of course, but often there are bugs in Catalyst releases that shouldn't have slipped through QA in the first place.

shadow001
03-04-10, 05:25 PM
It disables Crossfire as well on a Dual GPU card.
I had to disable it because of FRAPS. With Crossfire enabled, FRAPS didn't work properly and nearly all my screenshots ended up being black. This only happened in DX9 games, DX10 and 11 were unaffected. That was my only game related problem, otherwise gaming was ok apart from some minor instabilities/crashes. But microstuttering was definitely more noticable compared to SLI but it was playable.

Again, I don't care about performance. Even without Cat. A.I. it was fast enough for everything.
But I agree, it's a stupid implementation. There should be a switch for Crossfire (on Dual GPU cards) and a separate switch for the driver tweaks. Because with ATI you really have to relay on it for proper AA support.

I can tell you straight from the horses mouth(dave bauman,who was part of the design team for Cypress),Crossfire can only be disabled on a dual GPU ATI card by disabling Catalyst A.I.

shadow001
03-04-10, 05:31 PM
Wow someone with some sense......Geez I bet you could force 8XSSAA all the time and still have buttery smooth gameplay......because your system is overkill.

I did it in the heaven Demo when i posted my results over a month ago,even with tesselation enabled and 16X AF,i also ran it with 8X supersampling AA and still got 44 FPS average and that's a workload that's far beyond any current game,as the card is basically internally rendering 8X higher than the resolution on my display at the time(1920*1200).

Ninja Prime
03-04-10, 05:46 PM
Which is an accurate and representative number of course. Are you trying to compete with hell_of_doom227 in being an idiot?

/e: being a biased troll is ok, I'm too, but at least try to be reasonable... it is a well known fact that ATI has driver problems, I already described this in detail some pages back. I'm not the only one who noted that (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3448&p=12). This was more than year ago and things slowly get better (regularly updated profiles being a great improvement), but there's still a lot of work to do. This doesn't mean there are no driver problems with Nvidia of course, but often there are bugs in Catalyst releases that shouldn't have slipped through QA in the first place.

It is actually accurate. Maybe you need to read this thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86550

I'm just sayin', most people who whine about ATI drivers are either morons, fanboys, or have never tried them. I want to see a real apples to applea comparison of crashes, errors, ect over a million users, then I will believe the crap I keep hearing from the fanboy squad. Seems to me last year Microsoft came out and said their records show NV drivers have had more error reporting by far...

Johnny C
03-04-10, 07:27 PM
I did it in the heaven Demo when i posted my results over a month ago,even with tesselation enabled and 16X AF,i also ran it with 8X supersampling AA and still got 44 FPS average and that's a workload that's far beyond any current game,as the card is basically internally rendering 8X higher than the resolution on my display at the time(1920*1200).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpdPSZB8A8E&feature=youtube_gdata

Run the heaven demo with 1 card and compare to the GTX480

youtube linky not worky....

lee63
03-04-10, 07:45 PM

That looked pretty smooth.

Johnny C
03-04-10, 07:48 PM
That looked pretty smooth.

Agreed, much faster than my 5850...but I don't think it was that much faster than a 5870.....maybe in a couple scenes that are heavily tessellated but not shader intensive....

shadow001
03-04-10, 08:16 PM

Can't really do it unless i disable both the crossfire X and catalyst A.I altogether,but i did do a run with the settings the same as in the video as shown on the screen here:

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx298/Superfly101_02/Capture4.jpg

Peak FPS frame rates hit 195 FPS at the start and torwards the end of the benchmark,and looking at the FPS counter on the top right while the benchmark was running in the most demanding sections,it never dropped below 90 Fps...Ever.

shadow001
03-04-10, 11:28 PM
Thread got all silent all of a sudden?....;)

Numbers speak louder than words don't they?.....Given the results shown on that Fermi video,i'd venture a guess that even in this benchmark,which is favoring Fermi,users would need 3 GTX 480's in triple SLI to match or beat the score i'm getting with my setup basically,so the common points between both would be:

1:Both Expensive.(1000$ +)
2:Both Multi GPU solutions.
3:Both use a lot of power.(600 to 900 watts)
4:Both can be a pain to cool down,especially overclocked and keep it silent.(water cooling to the rescue)
5:Both always need constant driver updates to perform at their best.(crossfire vs SLI updates)
5:Both support DX11.(so orders microsoft)
6:Both very fast setups for anything.(rendering performance figures more like a dick mesuring contest at this level,and very little with actual gaming experiences anymore)

They end up having a lot in common when it's all said and done basically.