PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise coming from case when scrolling in IE

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ruined
07-05-03, 12:23 AM
This is a weird one. When scrolling in Internet Explorer, and only Internet Explorer (tested Notepad, MSWord, Opera, etc), a strange noise comes from inside my case (not from speakers), like a comibination of a whooshing and whirring noise. It is not coming from a fan, and it occurs only while the page is moving. I have a MSI GeForce FX5900, and an Intel 865 motherboard. It's not very loud, and not all that annoying, but still it is quite strange and I'm wondering what exactly could be causing it. Since I just built the system with this card I have no reference point, and I really don't want to start pulling out hardware just to debug this sound. Anyone have a similar experience?

deejaya
07-05-03, 02:34 AM
Hmm. That sounds quite familiar to the same noise I get. Mine happens when scrolling or moving explorer windows around. FWIW I also get a wierd creaking near one of my cd drives, at the most unpredictable times, and the sound of wires touching the back of a fan, when there really is none at all. Moving the case around, and juggling wires doesn't help, it just seems to go away on its own. :confused:

Hm, I just realised, I don't think I have had the problem you have since I swapped my Ti200 out for a 9700P. Strange..

Mangler
07-05-03, 08:07 AM
You might be pushing your psu to it's limit, if you can, try doing the same thing with a stronger psu.

The wooshing sound probably is your fans changing their rpm.

Behemoth
07-05-03, 09:50 AM
might that be the ram?
i can hear a little buzzing sound from my ram(i believe) when i dolly high poly count objects in maya.

Ruined
07-05-03, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Mangler
You might be pushing your psu to it's limit, if you can, try doing the same thing with a stronger psu.

The wooshing sound probably is your fans changing their rpm.

Well, for reference I'm using an Antec TruePower 430 watt power supply, and I have a DVDROM, CDR, P4, 1GB RAM, GeForce FX, sound card, Sata HD, and floppy in the case. I thought 430 watts would be enough for anything.

When I said whooshing I didn't mean like a fan noise, its hard to explain, its definitely not a fan noise, as it goes on and off within a split second.

euan
07-05-03, 11:36 AM
Try muting the audio input from the CDROM.

If that doens't fix it then it's most likely your PSU.

Is it a transformer like sound except higher pitch?

Ruined
07-05-03, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by euan
Try muting the audio input from the CDROM.

If that doens't fix it then it's most likely your PSU.

Is it a transformer like sound except higher pitch?

Tried muting the CDROM to no avail. The noise is hard to describe, its almost like a fizzy noise, and it is high pitched but not in a way that hurts the ear.

FYI, I checked in the MSI forum, and someone had the same problem and was able to solve it by switching from MSI to Nvidia drivers. I have tried both driver sets with no success. However, the standard Windows VGA driver does not seem to have the problem.

If it is a PSU problem, are you saying that I have a defective PSU or that it is not good enough? I thought the Antec 430w TruePower would be more than enough for what I have... Plus, is that possible when the problem only occurs in IE and no other applications (including same pages on other web browsers)?

More info - the noise goes away if I disable video hardware acceleration, but returns if I turn up the acceleration even one notch.

nvnews-reader
07-05-03, 03:19 PM
My P4 system does the same. It's still pretty quiet compared to my old pentium-pro.

Filburt
07-07-03, 01:08 PM
Have you tried removing the speaker on the motherboard (if it has one) and/or unplugging the case speaker?

CaptNKILL
07-07-03, 01:44 PM
Are you absolutley sure its coming from the case and not from your speakers? My brother had a similar issue with his Sound Blaster Live! when it was connected to a surround reciever. I had it a bit too with my Turtle Beach santa cruz.

It would happen when moving windows, scrolling in some cases, clicking certain buttons.... actually, now that I think about it, my brother's speakers were playing the sound of the HARD DRIVE. You could hear it through the speakers when the computer was loading stuff lol. It wasnt loud, and during a game you couldnt hear it at all, but MAN, that was weird!

Your best bet would be to open up your case, turn the computer on, open IE, hold your mouse while you get your head real close to your case and just start scrolling. If it IS coming from the case, you'll be able to tell where. Im guessing maybe the hard drive, but Im not sure.

volt
07-07-03, 02:01 PM
If you have a speed-controlled fan, you might wanna see if that's what's making the noise.

Miksu
07-07-03, 02:05 PM
I think I had the same problem with my last system. I heard this very quiet but irritating sound when scrolling IE or moved in simple OpenGL-software. Afaik, it had something to do with PSU and motherboard. Couldn't do anything to fix that, except it's now gone after upgrading my mb, psu and cpu.

skoprowski
07-07-03, 02:21 PM
It's a known issue with the 5900, but no one seems to know what is going on and we have gotten no response from the techs about it:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=633813

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1150&FORUM_ID=17&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=Geforce+FX+5900+Ultra+mouse+beeps%3F%3 F+%2D+very+strange&Forum_Title=GeForce+FX+Family+Forum

Ywap
07-07-03, 02:21 PM
I have it too with a Chieftec 300w. I find it very irritating and consider buying a new psu.

Could this link help?

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/smpsfaq.htm#smpsbuzz

Slappi
07-07-03, 02:28 PM
Just to let you guys know. I didn't have that noise until I put in my Leadtek 5900. It started right after that. Could be drawing too much power now .... I am using an Enermax 431watt PS.

bkswaney
07-07-03, 03:24 PM
I wonder why all the problems when the 5800's and ultra have non of these problems. :confused:

The screensaver deal is the only one with the 5800.
It's a real bitch not being able to use screensavers.
I think NV did it on purpose. That way the FlowFX would not be kicking on high all the time. Most likly because of the high clock speeds. ;)

GlowStick
07-07-03, 06:24 PM
Im not sure how helpfull this could be, but one time i was sitting at my computer, and then i suddenly herd a really loud really high pitch noise. It was so loud, i could not figure out what it was. I thought it was one of my computers/monitors. So shut one of them down, still the noise, i shut the other down, the noise still persisted. so i unpluged both monitros to see if it was them.

The noise still persisted, so i walked around my room, i thought maybe it is a firealarm malfunctiong, so i go aound the house and take all the battieres out, still it persists.

Then i walked in my kitchen, where my Cable Modem and Linksys Router is. I walk near the router and think its getting louder.

So i just unplug it, and the humming stops. I think to my self "WTF, it has no speakrs" plug it in, the humming starts again. So then i just left it unpluged and bought a new one.....

I dont think i can convey how loud this was, my room is on the second floor, and i can never hear anything in the kitchen, but i could hear the hum all around the house.

reever2
07-07-03, 06:27 PM
Routers do have fans in them sometimes, maybe something got caught

GlowStick
07-07-03, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by reever2
Routers do have fans in them sometimes, maybe something got caught

I cracked the linksys shell open to see wtf was in there, no fan.

euan
07-07-03, 07:10 PM
Slightly OT, I was doing temperature burn in tests to some electronics at work today, and I pretty much over cooked the thing. Now after it has had time to warm up something on the board beeps when ever the video screen is redrawn, or comms data arrives. It's very unusual as there is certainly no beeper, buzzer, or audio device. It isn't the Backlight inverter either. It just makes a fuzzy beep very much like turning your speakers to max, and scrolling a window, or pressing the start key with animation enabled.

We had a little oogle over the device, and have concluded it is either inductors that have slackened, have moved and become to close the the metal casing, or there is a seriously malfuncioning ASIC somewhere. it'll be cooked again in the oven, and we'll see what happens... :D

euan
07-07-03, 07:11 PM
Got an internal modem in your pc?

Ruined
07-07-03, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by skoprowski
It's a known issue with the 5900, but no one seems to know what is going on and we have gotten no response from the techs about it:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=633813

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1150&FORUM_ID=17&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=Geforce+FX+5900+Ultra+mouse+beeps%3F%3 F+%2D+very+strange&Forum_Title=GeForce+FX+Family+Forum

Yeh, I posted on the MSI tech forum and everyone there is having the problem too with their FX5900 cards:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/e_service/forum/thread.php?threadid=23438&boardid=9&styleid=1

delta
07-07-03, 11:09 PM
I have this problem as well, I emailed evga, the maker of my 5900U, this is what they said:

"The reply to your support request to eVGA.com is as follows:

As far as we can tell at this moment it has to do with voltage levels on
the card as a blit is done.

This issue is already being examined by NVIDIA to see what they can find
about it. We will post more on it as soon as we get the information."

I was just going to RMA my card tommorow, guess I'll hold out a little while and see if they can fix it. If they can't fix it, they better do something to persuade the company I brought the card from to take it back without a restocking fee or just take it back themselves.. Or I will be :mad:

GlowStick
07-07-03, 11:11 PM
verid voltages with blit, that dose make sence, most videa cards support hardware bitblit accleration! Thats why when the hardware accell is turned off the sound goes away.

On another note,

i had no idea hardware like that can make odd noises heh!

shuttleteam
07-08-03, 12:36 AM
Drivers *theoretically* can reduce or eliminate this noise, however the result will very likely be degraded performance.

This is NOT a chipset conflict, sound card problem, or BIOS problem.

This card uses considerable amounts of power. It also uses power in a non linear fashion. Such loads tend to be complex in nature often causing the generation of subharmonic oscillatory currents within the LC section of the delivery circuits. Often components such as capacitors and inductors can be brought into a state where the subharmonic frequencies are in the audible range. This is the chirping, squealing, hissing, and whistling noises you are hearing.

For the record, I'm using a Super Micro X5DAE Dual Xeon mainboard that is Intel 7505 based. (AGP 8X) I'm using dual 675W power supplies with monitoring capabilities. The video card is the highest single component load in the system!

If this sound REALLY bothers you, unfortunately the only choice you have is to exchange for another card of different design. Since all 5900's are based on the same design, this means a different card.

For me the noise isn't of concern. Only when the side panels are removed is it noticeable.

-DAK-