PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my Gainward 5900 Ultra!

Pages : [1] 2

Shamrock
07-05-03, 05:42 AM
WOOHOO!!!

I think I might like it, considering I have a GF3 Ti200...a nice upgrade.

All for only $477 (free shipping) and I have purdy blue lights on my twin fans :D

When I get it, I'll do some gaming and tell the results (NO 3dMark crap either)

Sham

BigFish7
07-05-03, 07:21 AM
pleas use the new DetFX beta v44.65 and tell us what do you think about them .

thanks in advnace.

BladeRunner
07-05-03, 07:55 AM
It pays to read nvnews front page once in a while you know ;)

about halfway down FX 5900U Shootout - 7/03/03 2:22 pm - By: MUYA - Source: Browsing

I might be wrong but like 5800U nvidia are making all the 5900U's, (or having them made for them by one company), to ensure quality. As such they are all the reference design, (green PCB black sinks), no matter what make you buy, (at least to begin with), the box and software will be the only difference, (except perhaps the eVGA that comes/came with an unstable bios at extra cost :D) The Gainward twin fan version is the 128mb non ultra, which you can always buy oc and get near as damn it same performance as the Ultra. (except demos and future stuff that may make use the extra ram of the Ultra)

nVidia GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256MB Shootout, (Gainward Ultra 1600/XP GeForceFX 5900 Ultra) (http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=3x5900u&page=5)

I have a contact at Gainward UK so I can ask if it will get the dual fan custom cooler later on, but he probably wont know. Let us know when your card turns up, but to be honest although it may not look very pretty the reference cooler is one of the best designs I've see so far on any 3D card. If as it looks they are all the same, then just buy the cheapest that is in stock, (like I did in getting the Creative 3D Blaster 5)

scott123
07-05-03, 08:37 AM
Yeah, you will be getting the reference design, sorry Dude. Good price though. I got my PNY for $499 @compusa so you did good.

Scott

Shamrock
07-05-03, 09:05 AM
oh well, I dont "need" the purdy blue LED's anyway, all I am interested in, is performance...because I currently have a GF3 Ti200, and I am tired of playing anything with AA/AF OFF! :D

I'll get the 44.65's before it comes in, I'll try both the 44.03's and 44.65 (I have 44.03's now with my GF3)

Morrow
07-05-03, 08:06 PM
The Gainward FX 5900 Ultra is the reference nvidia board like eVGA is selling (including the fan).

It's also a 2 slot solution but since one shouldn't use the PCI slot just beneath the AGP one, this really doesn't matter.

The card is damn fast and the IQ excellent with 4xFSAA and 8xAF. Also the fan makes less noise than my GF4 Ti4600 fan. I can truely not regret having bought that card.

In any case use the 44.65 drivers for the 5900 Ultra. They are currently the best ones.

GlowStick
07-05-03, 08:32 PM
Sweet, nice buy on the video card!

Cant wait to see the results.

BigFish7
07-06-03, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by BladeRunner
It pays to read nvnews front page once in a while you know ;)

about halfway down FX 5900U Shootout - 7/03/03 2:22 pm - By: MUYA - Source: Browsing

I might be wrong but like 5800U nvidia are making all the 5900U's, (or having them made for them by one company), to ensure quality. As such they are all the reference design, (green PCB black sinks), no matter what make you buy, (at least to begin with), the box and software will be the only difference, (except perhaps the eVGA that comes/came with an unstable bios at extra cost :D) The Gainward twin fan version is the 128mb non ultra, which you can always buy oc and get near as damn it same performance as the Ultra. (except demos and future stuff that may make use the extra ram of the Ultra)

nVidia GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256MB Shootout, (Gainward Ultra 1600/XP GeForceFX 5900 Ultra) (http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=3x5900u&page=5)

I have a contact at Gainward UK so I can ask if it will get the dual fan custom cooler later on, but he probably wont know. Let us know when your card turns up, but to be honest although it may not look very pretty the reference cooler is one of the best designs I've see so far on any 3D card. If as it looks they are all the same, then just buy the cheapest that is in stock, (like I did in getting the Creative 3D Blaster 5)

blade when will you set a water cooling block on that baby+Volt mod of course?

BladeRunner
07-06-03, 12:21 PM
I'm thinking about the best way to make a water-cooler for it atm, but guess it will be along similar lines to the Radeon 9800 Pro cooler I made recently.

http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/projects/r350/r350wc502m.jpg (http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/projects/r350/r350wc502.jpg)

http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/projects/r350/r350wc306m.jpg (http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/projects/r350/r350wc306.jpg)

I'd maybe later do a v-mod but that would really depend on finding a good walkthrough article, as electronics are not my forte

GlowStick
07-06-03, 12:35 PM
Wow, thats a very cool looking cooler, wish they were in mass produciton! : P

gokickrocks
07-06-03, 04:24 PM
is the back side watercooled as well? or is it a heat plate?

btw, nice workmanship as usual...ever considered making a copper plate that would attach to a prommy for the 9800? :D

BigFish7
07-06-03, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by BladeRunner
I'm thinking about the best way to make a water-cooler for it atm, but guess it will be along similar lines to the Radeon 9800 Pro cooler I made recently.

http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/projects/r350/r350wc502m.jpg (http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/projects/r350/r350wc502.jpg)

http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/projects/r350/r350wc306m.jpg (http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/projects/r350/r350wc306.jpg)

I'd maybe later do a v-mod but that would really depend on finding a good walkthrough article, as electronics are not my forte

yam :)
well as soon as you finish it up please post your work with results of course :D

P.S
it's truly a work of art :angel:

BladeRunner
07-06-03, 05:27 PM
The back is water-cooled. Too avoid going more off topic there are some details about it in this topic HERE (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6926)

Badash
07-07-03, 07:56 PM
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=35030&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl

I wonder what the one that comes bundled with the 5900 will be like to set up, not that I want it. http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=35910&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl

Shamrock
07-11-03, 09:40 PM
Ok, Got my Gainward Ultra in on Wednesday (a day early :D )

I am still testing, trying to find the best drivers. But I am wondering, I got a VGA 2 DVI adapter...can i use that for my CRT monitor? would it have better IQ, since it's digital? or should I stick with the vga connection?

as far as benchmarks go, that HardOCP screenshot with UT2k3 having only 35 fps and the ATI 9800 getting 90fps? total BS

with driver revisions 44.03, 44.65, and 44.71 @ 1600x1200 (not 1024 as HardOCP's screenshots state) everything maxed out 8xAA/8xAF On the Suntemple map (The map HardOCP used) I can get 37fps maxed out! (not @ 1024, but @1600x1200) and if I got indoors I can get upto 83 (I used fraps 2.0)...I know what your gonna say, NV lowered the IQ to maintain speed? more bs, it looks absolutely fantastic in UT2k3...especially with the 44.67 and 44.71 drivers. If there is cheating going on, I cant tell the difference. All i know is, it sure is FUN fragging at 83 fps maxed out.

F12002 I cant make a comparison, but @1600x1200 4x/4x I can get about 70fps. HOWEVER, I did not use a default track with default textures, but I used modified Ultra hi-res textures made by SLN (great track updates)

C&C Generals: so far, no real slowdowns maxed out everything, EXCEPT when I deploy 2 nukes and long range tom guns all at once :D

Battlefield 1942, not really tested, but I maxed everything out, and was getting good framerates, however, my lil puny Athlon XP 2200+ (T-bred) cant handle it :\ 1280 plays great maxed out

Rise of Nations...no problems there (Agian no framerates)

Starseige Tribes: Well, this game is so old (Oct. 1998) that it has a limitation on it, and with 1600x1200 8x/8x I can get in heavy battles and maintain my 175fps framerate (it maxes out at 175? doesnt get lower either)

So, there you have it, BUT, I will say this...my Gainward 5900 Ultra came overclocked from the factory :D (It's a Golden Sample) @ 460/870.

Now for a question....Gainwards website, is well...subpar. I can't get the BIOS section to pull up my card's BIOS, unless there is no new revisions yet :\
Is there a new BIOS for the Gainward cards? my current BIOS is: 4.35.20.21.00

There ya have it...take my impressions how you wish, but I am happy with my NV card. And especially for only $477 (unlike some places which prices are $565) I got it for a July 4th special sale :D

Shamrock

*EDIT* edited to reflect that I did NOT use 44.67 drivers, YET!

Geforce4ti4200
07-11-03, 11:13 PM
obviously its an upgrade from a ti200, but given your xp2200, youll be badly bottlenecked by the fx5900u. What is your 3dmark score? and why not get a 9700 non pro for less than half price instead? :confused:

Rogozhin
07-11-03, 11:39 PM
the big problem here is that you don't have a radeon 9800 to compare to, had you then this would be a different story.

rogo

scott123
07-12-03, 12:11 AM
I have a 9800 pro, and despite it's 128 meg disadvantage, it's beating my 5900 Ultra rather soundly when fsaa and anisotropic are enabled.

Scott

bkswaney
07-12-03, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Rogozhin
the big problem here is that you don't have a radeon 9800 to compare to, had you then this would be a different story.

rogo

It's not a 5900 but I love my 5800 ultra. I had a 9700 Pro clocked at 380 core and I've been most happy with the NV card.

You cannot go wrong with a 5900 or 9800. :)
I'll take the best drivers in the world myself. ;)

Shamrock
07-12-03, 06:48 AM
I obviously did not WANT an ATI card, and I was not comparing it to an ATI card, nor do I wanna hear ATI comments, as this is an NV forum for NV cards. Had I wanted an ATI card, I woulda gotten one...and I cant find an ATI 9800 Pro 256mb for $477 (from a REPUTABLE site) least I found was $488

I knew this would happen, ati fanbois comin in here...Moderators should start doing their job. and MODERATE, instead of bash constantly, and allow it to happen.

And I also knew not to even ask the question about the DVI, as nobody would answer :\ great job guys, keep up the piss poor work!

and as I said before, I WILL not be doing a 3dmark score. You cant play it, so what's the point? what the hell is a "3d Mark" and how do yuo judge what specifies a "mark"? I can make marks on a chalkboard :P

scott123
07-12-03, 09:12 AM
You know Shamrock your going a little overboard. I have a 5900 Ultra AND a 9800 Pro. I'm actually not really an ATI fan, but rather a Nvidia fan (that's why I'm in this forum). Simply posting that my 9800 pro is beating up on my 5900 Ultra, specifically when fsaa and anosotropic are employed is good information. This is providing useful information for those who are getting ready to purchase. If the use of fsaa and anisotropic are very important, then it's good to know where things stand. There is nothing wrong with responding in a thread and conveying one's own experances with the two latest cards, if one just happends to have both.

Scott

Shamrock
07-12-03, 09:35 AM
no, I'm not scott, you have a right to give information, but the bashing that is going on (I already see more brewing) is ridiculous. This is a forum for NV cards, not for NV card owners to get pummeled by people who who try to push there views and opinions on others...namely Rogo...he also does this in Anandtech forums, and is nothing but trolling the forums for Rage3d.

I dont mind giving information, just as I did...I dont see why people expected me to compare it to an ATI card....I was just stating how fast MY Gainward is....and made some valid points about another site that was wrong. (HardOCP)

I WISH I had an ATI card along side my NV Ultra, just to see what the hubub is about, BUT...these ATI trolls do nothing but try and change peoples' opinions about other peoples' products.

do I care if NV cheated in 3dmark? nope, not at all...good for them, they exposed a fualty benchmark...do I care if they cheated in UT2k3...yep, coz I play it, but so far, I have NOT seen the results of this cheating, my UT2k3 runs flawlessly, and is excellent IQ. Even the moderators have begun TROLLING, doing nothing but making trouble.....if I recall, volt made a post in the NVidia hardware forum, and stickied it "Please, this is NVIDIA forum. If you want to discuss ATI products, please post in appropriate forum!" ...am I wrong? yet they do it. Including some of the moderators!!!!

I dont claim to be an all knowing, all seeing deity, but I do respect the rules, because it is not my website. You dont see me going around saying ATI sucks this, and ATI sucks at that, and ATI cant render this, and ATI cant render that...NV cant do AA and NV cant do this and that, or what have you. I come here to LEARN, not scroll through the GARBAGE that is going here. If this doesnt stop soon, MikeC is gonna start losing people, and revenue, then what do you do? I am here to stay no matter what or how people say ATI vs NV...as you wont see me doing it. Before anyone starts saying I am any type of fanboy, I have owned Trdident, ATI, NV, Rendition, and 3dFX.

Yes, I do appreciate Information and news about NV cards, whether good or bad, but there is a HUGE difference between news, and badmouthing.

Now, since everyone MUST know WHY I bought an NV instead of ATI.

1. Driver quality, I had the card up and running in UNDER 5 minutes. No tweaking, no reinstalling, no anything. It replaced my GF3 Ti200 like it wasnt even there.

2. THOUSANDS of people are getting rolling gray lines down their monitor, I cant take the change and get the potluck prize about getting a clean card.

3. I am an administrator over a a game that has only been successful on an ATI card ONE TIME (and even he crashes alot) I HAVE to have stable drivers AND hardware for this game.

4. THis card was cheaper than any ATI card I could find of same specs (I only buy from reputable sites, not the lowest price on pricewatch)

5. ATI cheated first...3 years ago, doesnt matter if they corrected it, or not, or how bad, they did, period. Oh, they also cheated recently as well as NV, just ATI boys fall on deaf ears/eyes. Does that make NV any better? no, but it puts it on a level playing field.

6. I owned an ATI once...just once, it was pure hell, and I dont wish to have downtime of two weeks to get an RMA or a new card. (i am going by experience)

7. I will give up 5-8 fps in ANY game to get stability and functionailty...there are ALOT more people having trouble with ATI than NV

8. There ARE reports of ATI folks having to tweak settings for EACH game they play....not with my NV card...the organization I work for hosts 58 games on over 550 servers, now should I take a chance and give ATI a try? didnt think so, my NV Card is already working...tremendously I might add. And faster than any website was reporting it at.

9. NVidia has good Linux support, ATI nill

I'm through with this thread, I posted my experiences and I will proudly enjoy my NVIDIA card more that rogo knows he failed in making me switch to ATI :D

creedamd
07-12-03, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Shamrock
no, I'm not scott, you have a right to give information, but the bashing that is going on (I already see more brewing) is ridiculous. This is a forum for NV cards, not for NV card owners to get pummeled by people who who try to push there views and opinions on others...namely Rogo...he also does this in Anandtech forums, and is nothing but trolling the forums for Rage3d.

I dont mind giving information, just as I did...I dont see why people expected me to compare it to an ATI card....I was just stating how fast MY Gainward is....and made some valid points about another site that was wrong. (HardOCP)

I WISH I had an ATI card along side my NV Ultra, just to see what the hubub is about, BUT...these ATI trolls do nothing but try and change peoples' opinions about other peoples' products.

do I care if NV cheated in 3dmark? nope, not at all...good for them, they exposed a fualty benchmark...do I care if they cheated in UT2k3...yep, coz I play it, but so far, I have NOT seen the results of this cheating, my UT2k3 runs flawlessly, and is excellent IQ. Even the moderators have begun TROLLING, doing nothing but making trouble.....if I recall, volt made a post in the NVidia hardware forum, and stickied it "Please, this is NVIDIA forum. If you want to discuss ATI products, please post in appropriate forum!" ...am I wrong? yet they do it. Including some of the moderators!!!!

I dont claim to be an all knowing, all seeing deity, but I do respect the rules, because it is not my website. You dont see me going around saying ATI sucks this, and ATI sucks at that, and ATI cant render this, and ATI cant render that...NV cant do AA and NV cant do this and that, or what have you. I come here to LEARN, not scroll through the GARBAGE that is going here. If this doesnt stop soon, MikeC is gonna start losing people, and revenue, then what do you do? I am here to stay no matter what or how people say ATI vs NV...as you wont see me doing it. Before anyone starts saying I am any type of fanboy, I have owned Trdident, ATI, NV, Rendition, and 3dFX.

Yes, I do appreciate Information and news about NV cards, whether good or bad, but there is a HUGE difference between news, and badmouthing.

Now, since everyone MUST know WHY I bought an NV instead of ATI.

1. Driver quality, I had the card up and running in UNDER 5 minutes. No tweaking, no reinstalling, no anything. It replaced my GF3 Ti200 like it wasnt even there.

2. THOUSANDS of people are getting rolling gray lines down their monitor, I cant take the change and get the potluck prize about getting a clean card.

3. I am an administrator over a a game that has only been successful on an ATI card ONE TIME (and even he crashes alot) I HAVE to have stable drivers AND hardware for this game.

4. THis card was cheaper than any ATI card I could find of same specs (I only buy from reputable sites, not the lowest price on pricewatch)

5. ATI cheated first...3 years ago, doesnt matter if they corrected it, or not, or how bad, they did, period. Oh, they also cheated recently as well as NV, just ATI boys fall on deaf ears/eyes. Does that make NV any better? no, but it puts it on a level playing field.

6. I owned an ATI once...just once, it was pure hell, and I dont wish to have downtime of two weeks to get an RMA or a new card. (i am going by experience)

7. I will give up 5-8 fps in ANY game to get stability and functionailty...there are ALOT more people having trouble with ATI than NV

8. There ARE reports of ATI folks having to tweak settings for EACH game they play....not with my NV card...the organization I work for hosts 58 games on over 550 servers, now should I take a chance and give ATI a try? didnt think so, my NV Card is already working...tremendously I might add. And faster than any website was reporting it at.

9. NVidia has good Linux support, ATI nill

I'm through with this thread, I posted my experiences and I will proudly enjoy my NVIDIA card more that rogo knows he failed in making me switch to ATI :D

rogo was just trying to help you out bro, a lot of us here are nvidia fans. Just right now the logical choice is ATi. Fanboism shouldn't make you chose the inferior card. Hope you are happy with your purchase.

Oh, what game is it that you administer over that crashes constantly?

Smokey
07-13-03, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by creedamd
rogo was just trying to help you out bro, a lot of us here are nvidia fans. Just right now the logical choice is ATi. Fanboism shouldn't make you chose the inferior card. Hope you are happy with your purchase.

Oh, what game is it that you administer over that crashes constantly?

I dont think the logical choice is ATI myself, to me there is no clear logical way to go, so its good to get feedback users of both cards. First and formost this is the Nvidia card forum, nothing to do about fanboys and what not. When someone posts about getting a new card, they are happy, they dont need people saying why didnt you buy ATI etc, and I really which those kind of replys would just get deleted. If I want info on ATI cards, I wouldnt go the nvidia card forum, I would go to the other card forum or an ati forum, Shamrock has a right to be pissed, this thread has had too many lamers replying.

Nv40
07-13-03, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
I dont think the logical choice is ATI myself, to me there is no clear logical way to go, so its good to get feedback users of both cards. First and formost this is the Nvidia card forum, nothing to do about fanboys and what not. When someone posts about getting a new card, they are happy, they dont need people saying why didnt you buy ATI etc, and I really which those kind of replys would just get deleted. If I want info on ATI cards, I wouldnt go the nvidia card forum, I would go to the other card forum or an ati forum, Shamrock has a right to be pissed, this thread has had too many lamers replying.

indeed..
is unfortunate ,to see that behavior in this Forum..
people telling others why they are so "wrong" to feel great with their new purchase . "this is the "right" card for you ,you are "wrong" to be pleased with that card" . if new people are not allowed to enjoy their video cards ,what is the purpose to have an nvidia card forum then? sight...