PDA

View Full Version : Barton or Thoroughbred?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

RobHague
07-05-03, 11:08 AM
Im just looking at some CPU's, there is either...

2500+ Barton, 512k Cache (63) (1.833Ghz)
or
2600+ Thoroughbred 256k Cache (77) (2.083Ghz)

Now i can see the TBRED is higher in terms of clock speed but what would you guys go for? Im not sure if i should choose the higher clock speed over the larger cache... hmmm.

:D Thoughts?

digitalwanderer
07-05-03, 11:14 AM
Well, considering I'm pretty much just sitting here trying desperately NOT to buy meself a shiny new Barton 2500+ right now off of NewEgg I'd have to vote for it.

The extra cache makes a big performance difference from what I've heard, and I have not had any CPU ever been so universally recomended to me as the very best "bang-for-buck" solution right now along with being the best OCer. :)

EDITED BITS: I have yet to hear of anyone who hasn't been able to get their 2500+ over 2Ghz. ;)

RobHague
07-05-03, 11:16 AM
And its cheaper than the 2600+ which leaves me some money left over to buy a game :D

Ok so thats one vote for Barton. :D

Anyone know of any benchmarks floating around?

digitalwanderer
07-05-03, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by RobHague
And its cheaper than the 2600+ which leaves me some money left over to buy a game :D
Plus, if you're going super-cheap like me (I'm trying to avoid pissing off the wife... :rolleyes: ) you can get the retail 2500+ from NewEgg and just use the stock fan/heatsink for now and then upgrade to a new one down the road for OCing fun.

What kind of memory do you have/planning to get? That's my big hang-up right now. I want 2x256MB PC3200 cas2, is the cas2 really all that much better than the cas2.5?

saturnotaku
07-05-03, 11:25 AM
No question - get the Barton. Had I waited a couple more weeks instead of buying my 2400+ Thoroughbred I would have purchased the 2500+.

The 2500+ is the Celeron 300A of this generation. :D

CHEVYMAN_02
07-05-03, 11:41 AM
I would go with the Barton. Even though the tbred is higher clocked. I plan to get a 2500 to because of 640KB cache

RobHague
07-05-03, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Plus, if you're going super-cheap like me (I'm trying to avoid pissing off the wife... :rolleyes: ) you can get the retail 2500+ from NewEgg and just use the stock fan/heatsink for now and then upgrade to a new one down the road for OCing fun.

What kind of memory do you have/planning to get? That's my big hang-up right now. I want 2x256MB PC3200 cas2, is the cas2 really all that much better than the cas2.5?

Well i already have my system now with a 2200+ but i want a new CPU to get the 333Mhz System Bus :) I currently have a stick of Corsair XMS3200 (512MB) so im all set bar the CPU.... (its a TbredA).

Im going with an OEM Barton i think and getting the Coolermaster Areo 7+ so i should be ripe for overclocking too if i wish. :D CAS2 is like most things, if you want the absolute top performance... just get it though as its near enough the same price as CAS2.5 and what ive learned is if you buy cheap you buy twice. ;) :D

Smokey
07-05-03, 12:43 PM
Heh I thought I wont go cheap on my ram this time, and turns out I got a bad stick :banghead: so Im just waiting for a reply to my email and or in the corsair forums, then I can see how far I can push this puppy of a Barton2500+ ;) At the moment due to my ram, I cant raise the FSB higher than 168 without a BSOD so Im running 168*12.5 = 2107 default voltages.

RobHague
07-05-03, 12:55 PM
Sounds great :D think i definatley will go Barton now.

Still wondering about some benchies though? Any benchmarks of the Barton 2500 out here that people would like to post a link too?? :)

Dazz
07-05-03, 02:20 PM
Barton with out a doubt, i am thinking of picking one up soon myself :)

digitalwanderer
07-05-03, 02:46 PM
I'm holding the cash I need for the Barton and a couple of 256MB sticks of Geil Golden Dragon right in me hand here and I know what kind of an incredible boost it'd give Bubbles, but I also know I really shouldn't be spending it on a purely luxury/toy item for me. :(

But DAMN IT, it sure is frustrating! :(

silence
07-05-03, 04:27 PM
Barton....i am more then happy with my.

didn't OC it yet....i never OCed CPU before, so i am reading little bit about it, but from what i read i should be able to hit 2Ghz without trouble.....

btw....i have question regarding OCing Barton, is it possible to hit 2Ghz, but staying with 166 Mzh FSB?...from what i read that means unlocking multiplier....can i do that at all or what?did i get something wrong?.....
i would like to keep that speed if it's possible cause i have ddr333 in my comp....

RobHague
07-05-03, 05:31 PM
Hmmm...ok another question.

What about besides overclocking potential? I may play around but what if its not overclocked... still go with Barton or the 2600+ ? :)

The Baron
07-05-03, 06:54 PM
Barton. Period.

digitalwanderer
07-05-03, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by -=Gib-McFragger=-
B
a
r
t
o
n

I have the Barton 2500+, and as you can see from my sig, it does 2.3GHz happily.
:angel:
What kind of memory do you have? (Brand?)

RobHague
07-05-03, 08:25 PM
Found this... :)
(I have a few days before i have the cash ready to order my parts so i thought id do some last min reading ;))

http://www.ocaddiction.com/reviews/cpu/barton_2500/pg2.shtml

The Barton initially didn't impress me when compared to the Thoroughbred clocked at the same speed. But after playing with the CPU, and seeing what it was capable of, it surely impressed me. With a quick check on pricewatch, the price has dropped down to the $130 range which in my book, for the performance, makes it a very worthwhile upgrade if you are running a slower CPU. The Barton I have initially didn't clock as high, but with a steady burn in, and use for the past month it is now hitting some respectable numbers. The Barton was placed in the peltier system for this review, but it had ran +2400 MHz water cooled, which again, isn't too shabby.

Sounds to me like the 2600+ would make the 2500+ barton its bitch..... unless the Barton is overclocked. :) But that kind of overclock is rather amazing... quite impressive. Just not sure if i would want to "risk" my nice shiny new equipment.. ;)

*edit* Found this too http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDUz - Which is also very interesting. :)

I have a question, do all the 2500+ bartons come unlocked then? :confused:

b00bie
07-05-03, 08:32 PM
I just got my 2500+ and am waiting for the new mobo (NF7-S 2.0) and 2x256MB corsair PC-3700 memory :D
Just ordered those and they should be here soon ;)
coupled with my 9800 PRO it should give me the power and performance I so desire :D

The Baron
07-05-03, 08:37 PM
Well... you can change the multiplier with an NF2 board. The NF7-S 2.0 is a great OC board as well.

B&R
07-05-03, 11:29 PM
Barton for sure.. better cache and fsb. It is lower end of barton core so it can OC a lot.

saturnotaku
07-06-03, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
What kind of memory do you have? (Brand?)

If you'd looked in his signature you'd have had the answer to that question before you asked. :p ;)

Dazz
07-06-03, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by silence
Barton....i am more then happy with my.

didn't OC it yet....i never OCed CPU before, so i am reading little bit about it, but from what i read i should be able to hit 2Ghz without trouble.....

btw....i have question regarding OCing Barton, is it possible to hit 2Ghz, but staying with 166 Mzh FSB?...from what i read that means unlocking multiplier....can i do that at all or what?did i get something wrong?.....
i would like to keep that speed if it's possible cause i have ddr333 in my comp.... Yeap your board will unlock it automaticly :) just change the multiplire 11x166 = 1.83GHz just change it to 12x166 = 2GHz i don't think you will have to increase the voltage either although better safe then sorry so i would say increase the voltage from 1.65 to 1.7 :)

RobHague
07-06-03, 09:53 AM
Yeah going barton. If i dont have to up the FSB and OCing to 2Ghz seems to be a given (none of the CPU's HardOCP tested failed) then ill just grab it and do a modest overclock to the 2600+ speed - Hey whats the worst that can happen? ;) So i have to buy a new CPU, for 63 its not a HUGE risk. :)

prodikal
07-06-03, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
Yeap your board will unlock it automaticly :) just change the multiplire 11x166 = 1.83GHz just change it to 12x166 = 2GHz i don't think you will have to increase the voltage either although better safe then sorry so i would say increase the voltage from 1.65 to 1.7 :)

What would happen if you didnt up the voltage? Like worst case scenario.

The Baron
07-06-03, 11:50 AM
It'll crash. Reboot and start again.

b00bie
07-06-03, 12:40 PM
all it means is that there's not enough voltage. :)
the worse thing is when you have too much voltage ;)