PDA

View Full Version : Want to learn more about.... everything

joltcola
07-05-03, 01:52 PM
Ok, I'm running into the problem of just not knowing enough to help people.

Before, the problems I was running into with friend's systems and my own were not that complex , and simple to troubleshoot. Well.. things are getting more difficult, and I'm running out of answers.

I'd like to learn more about computers in general , since I run into network, hardware, and software issues that either I have to deal with, or would like to help with.

Where are good places to go and read about this stuff. What books do you all suggest?

Just .. what ever you guys think of

thx again

-- jolt

digitalwanderer
07-05-03, 02:01 PM
Almost everything I know about PCs I've learned thru the boards and off of links on the web.

Everything you could possibly want to know about PCs is out there, it's just finding it that is the tricky bit...

....hint: google. :)

joltcola
07-05-03, 02:14 PM
Ya.. I know what you mean. And I do alot of searching when the problem comes up. It just seems like articles or forum post don't cover the exact problem or situation that i've run into .. or there just isn't enough information there ( reliable info ). Its alot of questons , more questions, and one guy screaming n00b and a bit of information. I was trying to get around that kind of thing. Just fishing for sources of good information.

Thank you tho

--- jolt

netviper13
07-05-03, 02:44 PM
Mike Meyers' All-in-one A+ Certification book is an excellent way to learn everything you wanted to learn about hardware and operating systems.

The jump in my knowledge and ability after reading that book was incredible.

It's expensive, but the 1200-page book is incredibly thorough, providing both historical and current information.

joltcola
07-05-03, 03:19 PM
Is this the one that you speak of?

Amazon Link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072222743/qid=1057432559/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-6921621-4319249?v=glance&s=books)

-- jolt

Smokey
07-05-03, 04:50 PM
IMO the best way to keep upto date on tech, is the web, hardware forums, reviews etc.

Those books will be great to give the understanding that you need, and you might even want to look at doing some courses or doing spending some time at a local pc shop.

netviper13
07-05-03, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by joltcola
Is this the one that you speak of?

Amazon Link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072222743/qid=1057432559/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-6921621-4319249?v=glance&s=books)

-- jolt

Yep, that's the one I was talking about. He also wrote a great one on networking.

stncttr908
07-05-03, 09:30 PM
I learned basically everything I know from nvmax, here, and other places around the web. Although that book is tempting.

The Baron
07-05-03, 09:37 PM
I learned everything I know from actually doing it. ;)

b00bie
07-05-03, 09:55 PM
google, friends, forums and past experiances :D
those are my sources ;)

(if I'm really stuck, I pick up the phone and call volt who 90% of the time has an answer for me, but I wouldn't recommend that as he probably wouldn't want to have a tech support line at his house :p )

prodikal
07-05-03, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
I learned everything I know from actually doing it. ;)

True ive fried all kinds of processors on mobo and **** lol

The Baron
07-05-03, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by prodikal
True ive fried all kinds of processors on mobo and **** lol
Haven't fried anything from mistakes, really. First time I installed a processor? On a friend's computer. Hell, I'm not wasting my money like that ;) (went fine, though ;) )

prydah
07-06-03, 12:02 AM
A+ certification training is exactly what you're looking for.
it's general and very basic yet it covers everything U want to learn about computers (not much on the unix/linux or mac side tho, but some A+ info can pertain to those systems)

i learned a heckuva lot about computers (windows, mac, unix/linux) thru trial-and-error before the internet was commonplace and long before i heard about A+ certification. it was hard to learn that way but now it's so much easy to understand about computers and any new technologies that's always coming out.

it's become a hobby for me to just build computers or fix them. my friends r always consulting me, asking me to put together their system, or to upgrade or fix their systems.

if u have time, hang out in the computer sections of bookstores and libraries or take some computer-based classes.

u may not learn about everything as there will probably never be a need to, but u will learn more and be a highly knowledgeable, computer literate "guru".

:D

PsychoSy
07-06-03, 12:04 AM
Everything I learned about computes accross different brands and manufacturers is 90% trial and error and 10% picking the brains of some guru. For the most part, I'm self taught and never once thought about buying any of those $60 "war and peace" refference books.

I didn't know jack about the PC (DOS, Windows, etc.) when I bought a used IBM XT in 1994 as all of my computer knowledge at that time was limited to the Apple and the venerable Texas Instruments TI-99 4A! :p But, luckily there was quite a number of ANSI BBS boards using the Telnet protocol that I hooked up to with my 2600 baud modem that was a wealth of information. It took about 1-2 years of daily tinkering on that XT (and the 386 that followed) before I knew enough to try my hands at building my own rig in 1997 - a 586 powered by an AMD PR166 CPU running Windows 3.11 on 32MBs of RAM! I eventually poured more RAM and plastered Windows 95 in it.

Around that same time, I got a shell account to a Unix machine that I could Telnet to and I didn't know jack about Unix! The machine was running Novell UnixWare 2.1.2, which my guru friend told me that it pretty much functioned on a hybrid of ancient Unix with enough familiar DOS commands to make it newbie friendly. Learned quite a bit on that and that made learning Linux easier because it's very simular. But once the original 3Dfx accellerator hit, I didn't know what to do. It was expensive - I couldn't afford it all but my friend John bought a Diamond Monster, used it for a few months and removed it from his rig.

"It uses something called Glide, which only a few games use so it pretty much pointless. Plus it made motion sick sometimes." He let me borrow it (which I hooked to my 1MB Diamond video card) and installed Tomb Raider.

Off to a great start!

Then my guru friend turned me on to a REAL game called Quake.

That was all she wrote! In fact, I originally broke a cap off the Monster 3D, which completely ruined it and neither I or anyone else was successful in re-soldering it back on or finding a replacement cap for it. But I had to have my GLQuake fix and my 1MB Diamond won't cut the mustard. I was looking for a 2D/3D combo card and there was the Voodoo Rush which was too expensive at the time. That's when a computer maven - Darryl - told me, "Go snag a Screamin' 3D!! It's made by Siggraph and it's excellent for it's price!" Well, the Babbage's dude didn't have any of them but said, "This Diamond Stealth II S220 uses the same chip the other card does..." so I bought it and showed it to Darryl...

"OMG, man you just screwed...wait a second, it's the same thing as a Screamin' 3D but a tad better!! Good move, boy! You learning!"

"Will it play GL-Quake, though?", I asked.

"Nope, it uses it's own rendering called V-Quake but it's looks the same!"

From that moment, my PC was about gaming first, learning second! What!?! Learn how to dual boot with Linux and Windows?!? No, I'll learn that tomorrow! Now...where'd my Quake II CD go?!? I need a fix!! :D :p

UDawg
07-06-03, 12:08 AM
Yep, The book store for the basics of puters and networks and the boards and building puters and mucking with the OS is the way I learned.....and I still don't know squat. Still I can build you a nice puter real quick like. ;) Ifin' I don't shock my self pass out and forget who I am like the last time I licked the PSU....well the guy at the puter store said "just plug it in and you'll be done in a lick." :bleh: They should word them selves more carfully. :(

joltcola
07-08-03, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by UDawg71
:bleh: They should word them selves more carfully. :(

No joke ... who would of thought a PSU would be that dangerious <shrug>

thanks for the info everyone.

-- jolt